YETILESS AFTER 4 HAPPY YEARS

Sad555

9 hours ago, oldstan said:

I’ve family near St Austell so get there from time to time.

Now you've confused me.  Bedfordshire is, sort of,  in between the two .... Matlock is up and St Austell down   :wondering: .

I'm sure there's a simple answer.

Fond memories of The Peak District - probably for all the same reasons as yourself.  The nearest to Matlock I can say I'm vaguely familiar with is Middleton by Youlgreave -  a very pleasant walking holiday based in a dairy farm there.  Is your destination anywhere near, perchance?

Motoring connection :- there used to be a garden full of Trabants there ... looked like a Trabant scrapyard.    

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1474605/Collector-with-49-Trabants-told-to-sell-cars.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/7330722.stm

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/943830

Simple answer.  I live in Bedfordshire with mu family nearby, my sister and tribe in St Austell and we share an extended family lodge near Matlock, accessible for 10 months of the year.  Youlgreave is a lovely area not that far from Bakewell I’ve not seem the Trabant graveyard but I’ll be sure to look for it, if  its still there I’ll post a picture.

Appologies for being way off topic guys.

My apologies also for rambling ... which will cease forthwith. :)

(Looking at the artlcles quoted above i doubt the Trabants are still there - he lost his last appeal ten years ago saying he was going to replace them with a boat in his garden.  Just what the neighbours wanted, I'm sure).

2 hours ago, oldstan said:

My apologies also for rambling ... which will cease forthwith. :)

(Looking at the artlcles quoted above i doubt the Trabants are still there - he lost his last appeal ten years ago saying he was going to replace them with a boat in his garden.  Just what the neighbours wanted, I'm sure).

Driven through the area today, not there, I seem to recall now that there was a local news item awhile ago that raised the issue when he lost his last appeal. The Trabants were also mention in a book written about there guys who walked in Derbyshire, very funny books.

8 hours ago, ernieb said:

if  its still there I’ll post a picture

It was in Middleton not Pommie but it's long gone :) -- ahh I've just seen from a previous post that's where you were referring to.

Edited by longedge
afterthought

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MarieK said:

@Sad555 Did you get your Kia Soul Sport and how are you liking it?

Thanks for asking mariek ,yes I’ve got it now and tracked it’s shipping 6 week route from Korea to immingham uk.sad I know.well I’ve had it for over a week now just over 350 miles and very pleased,it’s so smooth and quieter than the L & K (which is hard to believe)this is my first petrol in 8 years,getting used to dsg slowly,plenty of extras as std inc pano roof and both elec seats ,heated steering wheel and front and rear heated Seats,didn’t have any great expectations as reguarding fuel consumption with the 200bhp petrol engine ( owned a Subaru Impreza 32mpg driving steady)so 38 ish would have been acceptable but after a 200 mile round trip managed over 47mpg with the air con on,driving steady but over 70 at times on the motorway,ssshh,size wise very close to the Yeti (soul very slightly smaller)but feels larger inside and overall finish is very good,its  great FUN to drive ,suspension firm (18s)but definitely not a step down from the yeti,so overall very pleased and would recommend this model if you don’t need 4x4.as I got it under £20,000 ,price wise it’s a lot of car for the money.i also tested the Kona 4 wheel drive only with the 1.6  177bhp  engine,another great car but would have been a bit more expensive and i didn’t require 4wheel drive and prefer the drive height of the soul/yeti so basically I’m very pleased at the moment and after a few hundred more miles and driving in SPORT mode perhaps an even bigger grin when the turbo cuts in(bye bye 47 mpg) hope this helps.

• Like 2

Sounds ideal. I'm still looking lustfully at the Soul online, will see what happens when it gets nearer my end of lease next March.

I think they're doing a new 2019 model or is it just in US?

I'd like them to expand the build and colour options.

• Like 1

Just come back from a 40 mile run  of urban/country roads and managed over 44 mpg and that’s pretty close to what the yeti 2.0 diesel on the same run did So more than happy but I did get a bit confused trying to put it on main beam,thinking I wasn’t putting the stalk in the correct position as the main beam didn’t come on only to eventually find that it’s AUTO and only works if it detects NO lights coming towards it and it goes from dip to main beam automatically so a bit of RFM tomorrow.

Edited by Sad555
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Just come back from a 40 mile run  of urban/country roads and managed over 44 mpg and that’s pretty close to what the yeti 2.0 diesel did So more than happy but I did get a bit confused trying to put it on main beam,thinking I wasn’t putting the stalk in the correct position as the main beam didn’t come on only to eventually find that it’s AUTO and only works if it detects NO lights coming towards it and it goes from dip to main beam automatically so a bit of RFM tomorrow.

I had auto main beam on the Jeep Renegade, it was an excellent feature for the dark winter nights on quiet country roads. I could just forget about it and let it do its thing.

Edited by MarieK
  • Like 1

yes I soon realised after my initial stupidity what a great feature this is to have,tec is certainly moving on,to be honest when I looked at the spec of the car once I found it had most/all of what a wanted/needed  I didn't really take much notice of every little thing and as there was no other option list (like if you select one but cant have it without having another which you don't want) I was quite happy to accept it as it came off the production line   without running up an extra couple of grand of options ,in fact I think the only option was a choice of one of three metallic colours at no extra cost and as the colour I wanted was already on the boat  six weeks away from here it was simplified for me as hobsons choice.

• Like 1

Came in from the heat and thought I’d spec up a karrot SE 1.5l to that of the std soul sport and would you believe karrot was over £31,000 ,was only comparing the spec not particularly car for car comparison as I’ve only sat in the karrot but it’s still a good looking similar size car with a bigger boot .better not post on the karrot owners might ruffle a few feathers.

Edited by Sad555

Sad to say I am also Yetiless after nearly eight years of totally faultless ownership. This forum is brilliant and the help and tips and advice over the years have been much appreciated. Many thanks and best wishes to all ( especially the longer term members )

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Anzio said:

Sad to say I am also Yetiless after nearly eight years of totally faultless ownership. This forum is brilliant and the help and tips and advice over the years have been much appreciated. Many thanks and best wishes to all ( especially the longer term members )

May we ask what caught your fancy that yeti no longer available

• 2 weeks later...

Also becoming Yetiless, and going for a Subaru Outback 2.0 dcvt. It will arrive in 2 weeks, I went to test drive the Forester, but came away being more impressed with the outback. I had never considered Subaru before reading some of the views of some of the contributors on here. So thanks to you gentleman.

I still really think the Yeti is agreat car, having had 2,over 5 years I will miss it but, Skoda like most of them pedal fashion over substance.

I couldnt get sensible answers re onwards guarantees, and their servicing schedule seems to me to be to do nothing for three years and then let the customer carry the cost from whats needed then as its out of guarantee. Still dont know what they would do on 3rd service.....except I would get a free vacuum and wash!

Dealing with Subaru was quite different, the main importer followed up my enquiry and gave me quick clear answers to questions. A test drive was easily arranged and the dealer was was quite straight forward, no bullshxt and clear pricing, and offered a good deal, no pushing from them and I didnt have to sound like Trump to get the best result

Lets see what happens when I get the car and how things go from there, but so far so good.

• Like 2

Best of luck with the outback,a lot of car for the money and usually VERY reliable,I ran an Impreza turbo for 5 happy years no problems and one of the most comfortable seating positions I’ve had.enjoy.

9 hours ago, edencampers said:

Also becoming Yetiless, and going for a Subaru Outback 2.0 dcvt. It will arrive in 2 weeks, I went to test drive the Forester, but came away being more impressed with the outback. I had never considered Subaru before reading some of the views of some of the contributors on here. So thanks to you gentleman.

I still really think the Yeti is agreat car, having had 2,over 5 years I will miss it but, Skoda like most of them pedal fashion over substance.

I couldnt get sensible answers re onwards guarantees, and their servicing schedule seems to me to be to do nothing for three years and then let the customer carry the cost from whats needed then as its out of guarantee. Still dont know what they would do on 3rd service.....except I would get a free vacuum and wash!

Dealing with Subaru was quite different, the main importer followed up my enquiry and gave me quick clear answers to questions. A test drive was easily arranged and the dealer was was quite straight forward, no bullshxt and clear pricing, and offered a good deal, no pushing from them and I didnt have to sound like Trump to get the best result

Lets see what happens when I get the car and how things go from there, but so far so good.

Very similar experience when I test drove/ordered the XV 2018, the dealer kept me in the picture every step of the way, delivery from order about 7 weeks.  I'm sure if you enjoy the Outback, the XV 2018 is a joy to drive. Has you Outback got the Eyesight technology?

Yes it will have eyesight, but no spare wheel...that seems familar, though there is a deep well and mountimgs for one. 

Maybe my Yeti spare will fit, but I think its an inch to small, heard that before too.

Edited by edencampers
Spelling mistake

If you’ve a 17 incher an inch less wont make much difference,I’m also spare wheel less and always felt I needed one but after many years of not using it and the one time i did I had to call the breakdown service anyway so my first car with the gunk.