Speedometer Ilumination

Hi, I purchased couple of weeks ago a brand new 2018 Skoda Octavia 1.8L. Great Car ! Have one problem (so far)  which I am unable to resolve :

When driving in bright daylight I can barely see the km/h numbers around the speedometer. (Clearly visible when heavily clouded or night time).

I adjusted the Instrument illumination to maximum, does not help. I can use the small maxidot display to observe a digital display of my speed,

but I prefer to  use it to monitor another parameter.

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Ioseph

As its 2 weeks old I guess it shouldnt be a dirty plastic reflecting the sun?

Did you try wiping it with a microfibre cloth?

The windscreen & glass of new cars fog-up a lot due to the chemicals released from the interior plastics.

I had to clean my glass every few weeks for the first few months to get rid of the fogging.

There is a function with the instrument cluster where it deliberately dims the lighting as it becomes dusk to encourage you to turn on the lights (if not using the "auto" mode).

But again, this shouldnt be a problem in bright daylight, its only active when it senses lower light levels.

Hi MarkyG82  , yes, I do use polarized sun glasses, and they contribute to the problem,

but even when I change to clear glasses or no glasses at all - the problem persists.

I am considering writing to the manufacturer.

Thanks for your reply. Ioseph.

The fact that the numbers are  'Clearly visible when heavily clouded or night time' shows the automatic illumination is working. I don't have automatic headlights, lights but  I note that my dashboard illumination levels rise and fall with the level of daylight. There is probably a degree of adjustment in the menus, I'm sure someone can advise if you get nowhere with reading the manual.

Mine is fine in bright daylight and  when heavily clouded or night time .

Hi Gregoir, thanks for your reply. As a matter of fact, I am thinking along the same lines. I can adjust the level of illumination, but  it is effective only on night time. Daytime , even when set to maximum is not sufficient. I am checking the manual continuously and trying to find the right adjustment. Eventually I will solve this issue. 

Best Regards, Ioseph 

You could always just switch on, and drive with the light switch on turned to side (parking) lights. On mine this leaves the DRL lights on so so issues re safety.

I've had another look at my set up. My main speedometer calibration is mph in white letters. There are also smaller grey figures for kph- which are not so easy to read, but still perfectly legible.

My instrument illumination was set around 70% which I find ok for the mph figures during the day.

• Like 1

Hi, So far my problem persists (only on bright sunny Days). I will have a word with the dealership which sold me this car, and if necessary , I will contact the manufacturer.

Regards, Ioseph.

Try using a nice bright torch and shining it directly onto the instrument cluster, leave it there for 10 seconds.

Are you happy with the brightness immediately after? Note that it may only last a few seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi xpower, I tried your idea with a torch. A minor effect for a very short time.  In my not professional opinion this is simply a design defect.

I intend to discuss this problem with the manufacturer. For now I set the small display between the speedometer and the RPM meter to show 

speed. As the matter of truth this is quite convenient. 

Will let you know if a solution will be found.

Thanks,  Ioseph.

45 minutes ago, Ioseph said:

Hi xpower, I tried your idea with a torch. A minor effect for a very short time.  In my not professional opinion this is simply a design defect.

I intend to discuss this problem with the manufacturer. For now I set the small display between the speedometer and the RPM meter to show 

speed. As the matter of truth this is quite convenient. 

Will let you know if a solution will be found.

Thanks,  Ioseph.

If your car was pre 2017 you could set the brightness to the same brightness when the torch was there.

as yours is a later one the access code has not yet been found to allow this mod.

On my face-lift se-l the dash only illuminates dimly when started it only brightens when the light switch is in auto or with the headlights turned on, in the off position or sidelight position the dash is dim.

Unless there have been changes to the instrument binnacle design with the 2018/19 Octavia models I'm not convinced that the OPs complaint is genuine.

Most issues of this type have some sort of support from fellow 'sufferers' or there is a history of similar threads but this complaint is quite unique.

It is reminiscent of the BS thread about razor sharp metal under the dashboard which would tear your hands to pieces or the other thread on the obstructed forward vison from the very low windscreen height.

We get lots of sunshine in Australia and it has never been mentioned in any local Skoda forum I have seen.

There are lots of trolls who sign on just to raise a minor issue to get defensive responses, and we always fall for it.

If the OP is genuine and does have those issues then I would encourage him/her to indeed raise it with the manufacturer as there is not much we can do to help with their particular problem.

Or they should go to Specsavers :) 

Edited by Gerrycan

I've noticed that on occasions when its say a dull morning and I go under trees I notice the needles are illuminated but not the numbers themselves. It looks very cool but as per OP it's hard to see the numbers.

This is when the switch is in auto mode. Randomly it will also illuminate the numbers though. If I switch to side lights or full lights then everything, needles and numbers, do illuminate.

Not had the car long so not sure what things trigger various lights yet.  Car has Xenons and DRL's which are LED's. I've also lowered the brightness during the night/when lights are on because there is a lot of light noise in the dark on the Mk3!

Saying that, in bright light it's been ok to see the numbers, even the km figures too.

8 minutes ago, Plantman said:

I've noticed that on occasions when its say a dull morning and I go under trees I notice the needles are illuminated but not the numbers themselves. It looks very cool but as per OP it's hard to see the numbers.

This is when the switch is in auto mode. Randomly it will also illuminate the numbers though. If I switch to side lights or full lights then everything, needles and numbers, do illuminate.

Not had the car long so not sure what things trigger various lights yet.  Car has Xenons and DRL's which are LED's. I've also lowered the brightness during the night/when lights are on because there is a lot of light noise in the dark on the Mk3!

Saying that, in bright light it's been ok to see the numbers, even the km figures too.

When it's in auto mode and the instruments think it's dark (using their internal sensor) but the light sensor doesn't think it's dark enough to turn the lights on the dial illumination will be turned off (to hint that the lights should be turned on) without the lights being turned on - that I believe is what you're seeing (and maybe the OP too?).

Edited by SWBoy
  • Like 1

Yup, good call, sounds like that is what it's doing.

In VCDS, can you get the main headlights light on the switch to illuminate? Mad that the sidelights light shows when you have those on but not the main headlights. :blink:

Someone forgot about that on during the design lol

I find the biggest indicatior that the main lights are on is that im able to see where I’m going. Not sure a wee green light down at my knee would make that any more obvious. 

• Haha 3

On 01/06/2018 at 09:11, Plantman said:

In VCDS, can you get the main headlights light on the switch to illuminate?

Nope, not sure there's even a light there?