Octavia 3 Heated steering wheel with DSG paddles

Hi all,

I opted on my Octavia 3 FL the Heated steering wheel for the cold winters, and this works great, having it.

What I also wanted and missed opting for was the DSG paddles. 

I am was thinking of buying one steering wheel heated + DSG paddles and retrofitting it.  Actually I am not thinking , I really want it :)

The problem is that I can find  such steering wheel.

DO you know where I can find it?

Tried emailing dealers but no reply from them, and only 1 said that is not possible to add DSG paddles if were not added from factory, which I do not agree. They only said that to shut me up.

Thanks.

I just talked to my dealership about this, i really want the paddles (not because I want to act like an F1 racecar driver) but I find the paddles efficient when I want to go up/down one gear when not agreeing with which gear the DSG has selected.

However the steering wheel itself was not expensive but they said I had to change a ecm/gateway to get it to work (which is crazy expensive). I´ve seen in VCDS options to tick of a box for paddles but dont know if this is enough.

Tho Superskoda has steering wheels with both flat bottom and paddles in different styles, stitching and so on.

Yes, but they are not heated. I want to keep the heated part and add the paddles.

Regarding the  paddles I read on the forum that many have done it, so why would it not work now. Somewhere stated that if you have the multifunctional steering wheel, you don't need to do anything, just change it with one with paddles and it should work.

Only if they changed something now, in the new Octavia. 

Unfortunately as far as i found heating is harder to apply as the cabling does not exist. Also pre flO3 did not support heating at all. There aren’t many heating orders in the factory for O3 FL with heated steering  so it doesn’t make sense to fit all steering wheels with it and just enable it via software. 

Paddles seems to be a different story. If you have the multifunctional buttons you have all you need. Just fit the steering wheel with the paddles and you are good to go at least for pre-fl O3. If dealers are not lazy and indeed other components are missing for O3 FL that suck for us. 

Still searching... asking... any other input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by ccosmin

11 hours ago, ccosmin said:

If you have the multifunctional buttons you have all you need. Just fit the steering wheel with the paddles and you are good to go at least for pre-fl O3.

Can you confirm this?

Thinking out the box a little, instead of searching for what seems like the impossible.

You have a heated steering wheel, how about get a std steering wheel (minus the heated bit) with paddles, then retrofit the paddles onto the existing steering wheel?

Gotto be worth a try?

If all the replies above are correct at how easy it is to retrofit paddles, then it has to be worth trying.:)

• 1 month later...

Had no patience, so order placed :)

I'm thinking that the worst case scenario, the paddles will not work. The rest (airbag, multimedia buttons) hopefully will match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I know nothing about changing steering wheels but, having a vRS245 I do know the Alcantra covered is the nicest steering wheel I've EVER had.

If you're already spending a few quid on a new wheel it's well worth upgrading to the Alcantra version from a pure comfort basis

10 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I know nothing about changing steering wheels but, having a vRS245 I do know the Alcantra covered is the nicest steering wheel I've EVER had.

If you're already spending a few quid on a new wheel it's well worth upgrading to the Alcantra version from a pure comfort basis

And the Alcantara wheel is a lot cheaper than the leather equivalent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ccosmin said:

But how does it stand the test of time?

Maybe those with it will discuss.

There is a very cheap leather alternative for DSG at the moment but the style is questionable.

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/flat-bottom-steering-wheels-2/oem-5e0064241g-fng-dsg-flat-bottom/

Lee

• 7 months later...

Puts spade away after digging this one out...

I really want paddle and should be able to afford a wheel after selling a couple of spares.  The buttons are causing some concern.  The replacement wheels all seem to have a different layout, mine has the voice control on the right top position and the left outer position is input change.  Will the functions remain in the same place or are they can control so the voice will now be on the left (its the only one of the wrong position ones I use)?

Edit: How easy is it to swap buttons on a wheel assuming that will solve the layout issue?

Edited by MarkyG82

When I bought my 1.5TSi DSG ACT I didn't particularly want a Heated Steering Wheel or DSG Paddles but did want ACC with Speed Limiter.

After one winter (which wasn't particularly cold dahn sarf) a HSW is now top of my list along with Heated Seats,  for my next purchase.

Edited by YMe