Sportline order gone wrong !

Mixed feelings today.

I placed an order in late March ( before the spec was changed for the Sportline) for a Sportline 150 DSG Estate with Heated windscreen , Heated front seats, Heated washer nozzles, Front parking sensors, Temporary spare wheel and Canton.

I was pleased with the price and the deal was what I'd wanted.

Everything was going well until a few errors on the  order were spotted. eg Heated windscreen was missing !

Contact was made in email with the dealer and they promised that the order would be changed and everything would be fine.

Last week was build week and conformation build spec screen shot was sent to me with guess what?

MISSING Heated windscreen !!

Another email from the dealer assured me that option 9T1 was Heated windscreen and heated nozzles but research on this forum helped me workout that PKV was the correct code for a Heated windscreen and 9T1 was just Heated nozzles.

I sent another email which resulted in an offer to order an new car as mine had been built to the wrong spec.

This time the offer was to order a new  Sportline Plus with all the options I requested some of which are now standard and some which are extra on the Plus model.

As far as I can see the Plus  additions over the old Sportline are:  Heated front seats, Blind Spot Detection and Electric boot opening ( Not sure if the Plus comes with Premium WLAN as standard)

The deal is still the same price although the dealer assures me I'm getting an additional discount .

So build week will now be week 25-26 and then delivery which would would be another 4 weeks, so it looks like August delivery.

As I said at the start mixed feelings.

Frustrated about the dealer cocking up in ordering.

Pleased I'm getting a Sportline Plus if I accept the deal.

Happy they have not reduced my part ex price although the car will have more miles and three months older.

Having to wait another three months..........

What are your thoughts ?

Seems to me that they accepted their mistake and fallen on their own sword, without you having to argue a great deal and the dealer protract it out.

Tis a simple case of another dealer gone wrong.

Nothing to do with the car, or build of it.

Good thing u spotted it before and dealer admitted the mistake before it arrived at the showroom floor.

U got a happy ending, albeit 4 wks delayed.

Mistakes happen but it is how they are dealt with that matters. Sounds like the dealer has dealt with it well and you will be getting a good deal. Bit of a pain waiting but since you get to keep current car but still hold trade in value then not a bad place. I would accept the reorder option.

I appreciate that it sours what should be an exciting and enjoyable experience but at very least your dealer seems to have proactively offered you some level of compensation by means of a better spec and the additional discount.   It could have been much worse and more frustrating for you, based on some of the things I've read on here.  

You may take delivery not much after you were expecting to collect the first anyway, so 4 weeks may be a worse case scenario.  It'll be worth it. 

FWIW, my Sportline has all the options you've gone for and it's a great car, the best I've had.  I think you'll enjoy the Canton stereo and the heated windscreen is very good; you'll just have to wait a few months to find out :)

Keep us posted :thumbup:

Sounds like a good deal to me. I think they've done a pretty good job to be honest.

Please tell me you haven't ordered 'undercoat grey' :) (I am secretly jealous if you have...)

I wish they did 'mud brown' as a colour - then I wouldn't need to wash this...

car dirty 1.JPG

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thebigred said:

What's a sportline plus?! Never heard of that spec in the UK!

Ugh, I've just looked at the spec PDF - off to the dealer to check what on earth is going to turn up this time....

I agree with the consensus.

Wait a few weeks and get the plus with the extra bits. Sounds to me like the dealer is being open and honest and doing a good job at trying to put it right. 

• Like 1

Sounds like the dealer has done pretty much all they can to get you the right car spec and no extra cost to yourself.

you cant fault that.

Thanks for the views , after sleeping on it, I have decided to take them up on the new offer.

And edwards I've decided to get the primer covered with a coat of Moon white.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ajl124 said:

And edwards I've decided to get the primer covered with a coat of Moon white.

Mine is the same except its Laser white. Good choice sir!

1 hour ago, edwards said:

white. 

The pic you posted above shows anything but! :tongueout:

You should have spec'd 'Undercoat Battleship Primer Grey' and you knows it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Slightly off-topic.  @penguin17 have you got your 280 yet?

57 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I genuinely think I would have done had it been available when I ordered - all my mickey-taking is borne out of jealousy :-)

All ready for Wednesday? Then you've just got the pain of  700 miles running in before you can unleash the beast... I'm at 3000 miles now and its loosened up nicely. Still filthy though, not had time to clean it and was in the Yorkshire Dales all weekend so have added to the dirt.. this weekend its time to clean and probably polish/wax.

• Like 1

I genuinely think I would have done had it been available when I ordered - all my mickey-taking is borne out of jealousy :-)

No it isn't jealousy... its just cheap Paint from the Army Stores that the Navy couldn't get rid of :) 

Then you've just got the pain of  700 miles running in before you can unleash the beast...

Our TDi has just hit 800 miles... only had it 2 weeks :blink:

I wish I could have a 280 :blush:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

Our TDi has just hit 800 miles... only had it 2 weeks :blink:

I wish I could have a 280 :blush:

3000 miles since March 4th... does include a holiday in Cornwall and 2 trips to Yorkshire though...

All ready for Wednesday? Then you've just got the pain of  700 miles running in before you can unleash the beast... I'm at 3000 miles now and its loosened up nicely. Still filthy though, not had time to clean it and was in the Yorkshire Dales all weekend so have added to the dirt.. this weekend its time to clean and probably polish/wax.

All ready.  I can't wait.  :biggrin:

7 hours ago, edwards said:

was in the Yorkshire Dales all weekend so have added to the dirt.. this weekend its time to clean and probably polish/wax.

Don't wash that its top quality muck that is ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update from the dealer yesterday.

Confirmed my order will be for a MY19 and a Sportline Plus, build week 31 although he said they may build slightly before ?

Only differenced on the MY 19 are (Supernova wheels on the Plus) and a change to the keyless entry that lets you personalise each key the remember settings for your seat and driver modes.

Digital Dashboard display is a £450 option too which I didn't go for.

Looks like it will arrive early September.

Overall I'm quite happy with the deal as I'm now getting a better car at the price I agreed in March and another three months in my Octavia with no reduction in trade in price.

• Like 2

On 14/05/2018 at 14:21, edwards said:

you've just got the pain of  700 miles running in before you can unleash the beast

Why do some see driving a new car as being such a chore. Since the early 80's I have driven all my new cars from day one exactly as I have for the remainder of their lives

Skoda say "During the first 1,000 km, the engine should not be charged with more than 3/4 of the maximum permitted engine revs"

What is so hard about that. In normal use driving my 1.4 TSi at normal road speed overtaking where necessary there is no need to go over 4500 rpm (3/4 of max). If you do stray over 4500 for a few seconds its not going to kill the engine stone dead.

What will potentially cause issues for an engine over the long term is babying it too much and allowing the bores to glaze and driving at a constant speed on the motorway, the bedding in process requires the revs to vary.

Its a car not a new born baby. Treat it like a mechanical object because that is exactly what it is.

22 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I think people who buy 280s might just want to explore that other 1/4? I know I would!:biggrin:

It's rude not too.  

At cruising speed you're barely using 1/7th of the cars overall potential (according to the 'Performance Monitor'), It's nice to get it closer to the 200 KW side of the dial now and again.  

As long as the oil is at 100+ degrees then I'll play with the gears and revs.  Mechanical sympathy is key; e.g; trying to accelerate hard and blipping the gears from 4th > 1st in manual mode isn't going to do the car any good. 

• Like 2