Add in wireless phone charging pad ?

Hey people :)

Is there a way to add wireless charging to my S3 that is not factory equipped ?

I would like to add the function in the centre console front compartment, and wondered if I could get a USB QI charger that fitted in the space and plug into the USB socket there ?

Presumably a factory retrofit would be silly money , if its even possible.

If anyone knows of a good unit that fits, please let me know what it is :)

37 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

Hey people :)

Is there a way to add wireless charging to my S3 that is not factory equipped ?

I would like to add the function in the centre console front compartment, and wondered if I could get a USB QI charger that fitted in the space and plug into the USB socket there ?

Presumably a factory retrofit would be silly money , if its even possible.

If anyone knows of a good unit that fits, please let me know what it is :)

Someone did this in the early days of the S3 and it worked fine, you could try using the search facility to find the thread :biggrin:

well after I posted I did, but it was a little light on details ;)

What is the max draw for the USB Socket (is it worth getting a fast charger as the socket might not provide enough power for that) ?

Is it safe to leave charger plugged in or will it drain battery while no phone in place and/or car unattended ?

I was looking at one of these as they get decent reviews: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0796SY3TB/ref=sr_ob_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526025758&sr=8-3 or : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KJL4XNY/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_01_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Like 1

I fitted the Choetech one a week ago for my Samsung Galaxy S8. It works and looks really well. The only issues were:

1. My phone is very long.  In order for it to sit properly on top of the charging pad, I had to raise the Choetech with some felt pads underneath (not visible though). For a shorter phone, this wouldn't be an issue.
  2. I've powered it with a lead from the USB socket, but needed to get a really flexible/thin one; otherwise the USB plug sticks up too high for the cover to slide fully towards the gear lever.
  3. For now, I've taped the USB cable out of the way with insulating tape.  At some point, I'll do a better wiring job to free up the USB socket again and bring 5V in behind, i.e. hidden.

I can't comment on power draw, but charging speed is ok for me. Also, the charging pad doesn't drain the battery as it is turned off shortly after the car locks.

Edited by Rizmod
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rizmod said:

I fitted the Choetech one a week ago for my Samsung Galaxy S8. It works and looks really well. The only issues were:

1. My phone is very long.  In order for it to sit properly on top of the charging pad, I had to raise the Choetech with some felt pads underneath (not visible though). For a shorter phone, this wouldn't be an issue.
  2. I've powered it with a lead from the USB socket, but needed to get a really flexible/thin one; otherwise the USB plug sticks up too high for the cover to slide fully towards the gear lever.
  3. For now, I've taped the USB cable out of the way with insulating tape.  At some point, I'll do a better wiring job to free up the USB socket again and bring 5V in behind, i.e. hidden.

I can't comment on power draw, but charging speed is ok for me. Also, the charging pad doesn't drain the battery as it is turned off shortly after the car locks.

Any pictures of it installed? 

I plumped for the Anker as it seems a little smaller.

Does yours only come on when a phone is placed on it, or is it always on when the car is running ?

Good note about raising it, I have an S7 but an S9 is on its way. I was actually thinking of using some white tack to keep it in place which will help raise it a little too.

Also good note about the lead in the USB socket, I will look for a low profile/handed usb cable :)

Photos attached. The cable is really untidy but the cover slides closed without hitting it and it works fine.  When I get time, I'll locate a better USB cable and/or rewire to improve the look.

Choetech.png

Phone on charger.png

Do yourself a favour and buy a 10 or 20 cm MicroUSB cable, you can eve get them with right-angled USB plugs. Should only be a couple of quid at most.

The cable does look ugly so I've just ordered a couple of really short ones to try out.  If it works out as expected, I'll update the photos and link to the correct cable.

Hers mine with the smaller Anker Charger. Apologies for the mitt prints, she needs a good clean !

A 15cm Right angle Micro to Left angle USB cable does the trick if you keep the plug on the right hand side, if you want it at the rear you would need a 20cm cable.

Added 2x 10cm square by 6mm thick neoprene foam pads under the charging pad to give the phone clearance, and a couple of pieces at the side so the phone stays within the charging area when cornering or covering bumpy roads :blush:

I just hope I don't have a flat battery when I next take the car !

IJjUVx1.jpg

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Like 1

Yes lid closes with phone in or out. (Samsung S9). That's with the USB plug left in or out.

I got the USB lead from Amazon, but unless you have prime the postage makes pricey.

Worryingly I just popped out to the car, and placed phone in without turning ignition on, and it started charging.

I am hoping that's just because of Kessy, and the power is turned off when car is locked :blink:

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Thanks 1

On 19/05/2018 at 18:23, Mr Grump said:

Yes lid closes with phone in or out. (Samsung S9). That's with the USB plug left in or out.

I got the USB lead from Amazon, but unless you have prime the postage makes pricey.

Worryingly I just popped out to the car, and placed phone in without turning ignition on, and it started charging.

I am hoping that's just because of Kessy, and the power is turned off when car is locked :blink:

I liked your arrangement so much I decided to copy it:biggrin:. Got the charger and USB via Amazon, and will fit properly when I get some time over the next couple of weeks. I tried it in my car with ignition off and found the same as you, so I think the USB must be always on. I'm hoping that the draw from the charger with phone not being charged will be insignificant but I guess time will tell. 

12 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I liked your arrangement so much I decided to copy it:biggrin:. Got the charger and USB via Amazon, and will fit properly when I get some time over the next couple of weeks. I tried it in my car with ignition off and found the same as you, so I think the USB must be always on. I'm hoping that the draw from the charger with phone not being charged will be insignificant but I guess time will tell. 

On my Kodiaq, the USB socket powers off not long after you close the driver’s door after getting out, and powers back on as soon as you open the door (with the ignition off). I found this out because I left my phone plugged in to the USB and heard the “I’m now charging” chime when I opened the door to get back in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

On my Kodiaq, the USB socket powers off not long after you close the driver’s door after getting out, and powers back on as soon as you open the door (with the ignition off). I found this out because I left my phone plugged in to the USB and heard the “I’m now charging” chime when I opened the door to get back in.

Yep, this how it works in my MY17 Superb.

13 hours ago, axd1152 said:

Does android auto work when connected to the wireless charger?

Unfortunately not… the wireless charger can’t provide a data link.

Android Auto rolled out wireless mode recently, but for Pixel and last generation Nexus models only. It’s only supported on a limited amount of aftermarket head units too… nothing OEM yet. Even if it has a wider launch you will also need a wifi capable headunit as Bluetooth doesn’t have enough throughput.

I use a little magnetic dock. Charging and Android Auto without wearing out the port on the phone and the lid/cover closes when not in use.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magnetic-USB-Type-C-Connector-Charging-Station-Dock-For-Xiaomi-5-6-Onelus-2-3-5/32836216627.html

Edited by Alan_P

On 22.05.2018 at 03:43, Alan_P said:

Unfortunately not… the wireless charger can’t provide a data link.

Android Auto rolled out wireless mode recently, but for Pixel and last generation Nexus models only. It’s only supported on a limited amount of aftermarket head units too… nothing OEM yet. Even if it has a wider launch you will also need a wifi capable headunit as Bluetooth doesn’t have enough throughput.

I use a little magnetic dock. Charging and Android Auto without wearing out the port on the phone and the lid/cover closes when not in use.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magnetic-USB-Type-C-Connector-Charging-Station-Dock-For-Xiaomi-5-6-Onelus-2-3-5/32836216627.html

I see! What if u connect the phone to the wireless charger and the wired charger at the same time? Only wired will work then?

It depends on the phone, but most models default to the wireless charger so the cable would work for data only. It won’t use both so either way it’s a similar charge time. You would also need to connect the wireless charger to a USB socket adapter (permanent live in the mk3 Superb).

I suppose this would let you charge while the ignition is off, but I’m not a fan of leaving anything running unchecked… or leaving the phone in the car. What would you want this setup for?

8 hours ago, axd1152 said:

I see! What if u connect the phone to the wireless charger and the wired charger at the same time? Only wired will work then?

Edited by Alan_P

17 minutes ago, Alan_P said:

It depends on the phone, but most models default to the wireless charger so the cable would work for data only. It won’t use both so either way it’s a similar charge time. You would also need to connect the wireless charger to a USB socket adapter (permanent live in the mk3 Superb).

I suppose this would let you charge while the ignition is off, but I’m not a fan of leaving anything running unchecked… or leaving the phone in the car. What would you want this setup for?

Just asking out of curiousity since I've never had a phone with wireless charger.

• 7 months later...

The previous owner of my car decided to order the car with ashtrays. :crying:

So i need to replace the entire box. 

These start to appear on Ali:

http://s.aliexpress.com/7J7ZVbye

Car is at the dealer with the headlight issue and a weak battery. So can’t check the measurements. I do hope i can find a qi charging panel that fits. 

30 minutes ago, Tin82 said:

The previous owner of my car decided to order the car with ashtrays. :crying:

So i need to replace the entire box. 

These start to appear on Ali:

http://s.aliexpress.com/7J7ZVbye

Car is at the dealer with the headlight issue and a weak battery. So can’t check the measurements. I do hope i can find a qi charging panel that fits. 

What is the headlight issue?  I ask because mines in at the moment withintermittent AFS problem on RH side as luck would have it as the mech was taking it into the workshop the AFS warning came on and the bulb went out. They swapped the bulbs over and transferred the fault to the other side.  Spare bulb arriving tomorrow, strange thing is they say it’s the only spare in the UK.