What's your mileage?

Hi,

Whilst usually I lurk & nab hints & tips I've never really asked a question not related to maintenance issues.

With that in mind I wanted to get an idea of the potential longevity of my vRS. So, anyone here got massive miles on theirs?

Mine's an 07 plate TFSI with a couple of mild power upgrades. Currently sitting pretty on 161k & apart from basic maintenance & wear items, has been totally solid  - daily driver doing circa 25k per year.

Anyone got me beat?

Have a 2010 1.8TSi L & K (yep ticking time bomb i know) the car has full skoda service history up untill last year, being an MOT tester i do my servicing, it's completly stock (no mods, apart from my snap on seat cover) and is at 62,200 miles, daily driver doing about 5-6k a year.

Only issue i know it's had was the water pump failed, repaired under warranty back in march this year.

On other forums there are some specific topics with mileages for various models, separated for Diesel and Petrol. (Since diesel engines generally have higher mileages)

I think a 'plain' list is not really usefull without some more details. Some engines have high failure rates (Eg the BXE engines with conrod failures, and some other models as well), as well as other issues (1.8 engines with oil issues)

My car (2005 1.9TDI, BJB engine, no DPF) is currently at about 240000 miles (386000km)

I did had some maintenance, but based on the mileage, not really surprisingly (DMF, suspension, AC condensor and so on). Nothing out of the ordinary so I don't have any reason to get rid of this car (Well, except for 'having a newer one')

• Like 1

i have the Skoda Octavia FSI Elegance 2005. she is currently sat at 72,000. my dad has had it since new and i have just taken it of his hands. its still the same sturdy car it was in 05.  i have one issue and that the alarm. which will go off for no reason. 

I can't compete with 161k miles.  Having said that, I've just ticked over 100k last week which was quite a milestone for the old barge.  I'm the same as you with a few modifications that make it a bit more interesting to live with on a daily basis.  It's been a great car so far and I'm hoping to get a lot more use out of it over the next few years.

I'm hoping to get 200k before it becomes prohibitively expensive to maintain. I've just discovered on a 150 mile round trip this evening that I need a nsr wheel bearing. Should be circa £180 I hope.

I think if it needed a rebuild at any point that would be a matter of the heart, not the head/wallet!

Not a VRS but my 2008 2.0pd Scout now has 176k miles. I think this will be its last year as my mechanic says the entire exhaust is on its last legs and coupled with the fact the dpf, DMF, clutch and turbo are all still original the potential for a big bill is close.

Nice. Diesels go forever though so ive heard :-p I'm on original exhaust but have a 200 cel cat plus lots of repairs. Probably more repair than original now!

It will probably disappoint you & go on for ages. There was a point where I was wishing mine would blow up so as to be allowed by the boss to shop for a new car. That was many miles ago so, Stockholm syndrome has kicked in.

My step-father is the sort of person who thinks a car is done after 60k miles so every other weekend when the kids are shuffled down to them I just get more & more smug.

i'm on 154,200 at moment averaging 20,000 a year. 

watch this for a bit of confidence in your skoda - 

• Thanks 1

I have a 2005 2.0tdi on 167k just spent £1200 for

Full service water pump belts

New discs pads all round

New brake caliper

New springs and shocks rear

Full allignment

Air con

If anyones in north Wales I highly recommend gp motors penygroes. The car is like new 

My 2011 cr vrs is on 165k. Standard car which was an ex Lex fleet one. I've done 52k since Oct 2014 and am doing about 15k p/a. Other than a drop link which was changed last week and a spring that snapped last summer all it's needed is routine servicing at the recommended times. Hopefully will get to 200k :)

• 2 weeks later...

2005 2.0 TDI 163K - still going strong have done turbo, clutch and ac compressor in the last three years other than that showing spots of rust on the sills which I have been taking care of...

Admittedly a diesel rather than a petrol like yourself, but my 1.9PD is now on just over 202k, had it since 80k, all its needed apart from standard servicing is one set of pads and discs, and 2 rear calipers. Pretty happy with that!

Petrol VRS facelift bought it on 99,330k miles in November. It's now on 101,958k.

I usually do 5000-6000 miles per year so hoping to still be all good in 5-7 years!

Edited by HarleQuinn

After a lot of searching the only way I could get a vrs in budget was to get a 183k miles one.

Manual box, cam done regularly (not needed for another 20k) and just about everything works!

I have driven some good and some bad cars but even for the mileage the vrs feels tight, it goes where a point it and stops, really really well.

Even the heated mirrors work... For now.

Want to do a few bits like get the aircon going again (it had a stone hole in it) and replace a couple vents but there are all parts you can get from the bay for small amounts.

Previous Octavia 2.0 PD (remapped) was sold with 166k on the clock, though that no longer seems to be on the DVLA database so perhaps it died and my second 2.0 PD (remapped) just died at 149k. Turbo gave up and emptied the engine of all the oil.  I wasn't quick enough to prevent the engine from ceasing/wasn't worth fixing.

That's a YouTube channel called car throttle. They've just bought a mk1 octavia with over 400k miles on the clock. I'm presuming that will be the 1.9pd lump. They recently filled the tank went to Germany done 1 lap of the ring then back to Blighty on one tank of diesel. Round trip of over 800 miles. Last week they tasked a mechanic to strip the head and turbo off. The guy couldn't believe the condition it was in. He said it looked like the bores and cams plus turbo had done less than 100k miles. Top enginering going on there my friends!! Diesel engines never been bettered since imho. Anyway, the op gives me some hope. Mine is also a 2.0 petrol vrs tfsi with only 98k miles on the clock. Running well on original clutch and turbo even original discs!! 

My 2006 vRS TFSi has nearly done 125k. Bought it with at about 116k two years ago so doing roughly 5k a year. 

Although my brother's Golf 1.9 GTTDi has done nearly 400k!