Is Kia the new Skoda?

dunc69

7 minutes ago, XLBaconDoubleCheese said:

£34.5k for a 340i (Plenty of options), plus £1500 for the MPPSK to make it up to the same power as the Stinger. Same power, less money. 

That's a USED 340i of course as a new basic one starts at £41,965.:cool:

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

That's a USED 340i of course as a new basic one starts at £41,965.:cool:

And all depends on what you want, size-wise. 

3 series smaller than an Octavia inside.

(I have measured them side by side)

No use for a family really. Undeniably a very nice engine though!! 

3 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

And all depends on what you want, size-wise. 

3 series smaller than an Octavia inside.

(I have measured them side by side)

No use for a family really. Undeniably a very nice engine though!! 

Might take 4 large suitcases in my Octy hatch to a BMW Dealer and tell the Salesperson I will buy a 340i if they can get them in the boot of the saloon, just to see the look on their face. HA HA LOL!:blush:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Might take 4 large suitcases in my Octy hatch to a BMW Dealer and tell the Salesperson I will buy a 340i if they can get them in the boot of the saloon, just to see the look on their face. HA HA LOL!:blush:

The boot is just part of it too. 

The fat BMW centre console also means the driver’s footwell in the Beemer is pretty tight. Nowhere to put your left leg, if you know what I mean - I like to let my left leg hang out to the left rather than being pushed into the middle....

Also, the rear seats have at least 2 inches less legroom than the Octy, possibly more. 

I just need to do the same measurements in the rear of the Stinger and hope I am not disappointed (2 rapidly growing kids!). 

Otherwise it’s Octy again (245) or Superb 280 next time! 

Mind you, videos like this can tempt a fella!! (Despite the rather over-effusive You Tuber!)

https://youtu.be/Af54smL6ANU

Edited by dunc69

2 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

The boot is just part of it too. 

The fat BMW centre console also means the driver’s footwell in the Beemer is pretty tight. Nowhere to put your left leg, if you know what I mean - I like to let my left leg hang out to the left rather than being pushed into the middle....

Also, the rear seats have at least 2 inches less legroom than the Octy, possibly more. 

I just need to do the same measurements in the rear of the Stinger and hope I am not disappointed (2 rapidly growing kids!). 

Otherwise it’s Octy again (245) or Superb 280 next time! 

Yeah agree had 3 adults in the back of my 3 Octy MK3's and never a complaint about not having enough legroom. I am 6 feet and the wife 5 feet 10 inches so not exactly short up front!:biggrin:

3 series is not a big car on the inside (tbh I don't think the 5 is much bigger). The console is big and you have the drive shaft tunnel taking up space as well.

If you want space you'd bet better in a Passat or Superb.

The stinger is firmly in badge snob territory. There it doesn't really matter that the Kia is better built or better specced. It doesn't have the badge to beat BMW, Audi, Merc, Land Rover etc.

Try an experiment, take a Woman who loves her used RR Evoke and offer to swap it for a similarly valued Kia Stinger. Record reaction, won't be pretty.

49 minutes ago, Aspman said:

3 series is not a big car on the inside (tbh I don't think the 5 is much bigger). The console is big and you have the drive shaft tunnel taking up space as well.

If you want space you'd bet better in a Passat or Superb.

The stinger is firmly in badge snob territory. There it doesn't really matter that the Kia is better built or better specced. It doesn't have the badge to beat BMW, Audi, Merc, Land Rover etc.

Try an experiment, take a Woman who loves her used RR Evoke and offer to swap it for a similarly valued Kia Stinger. Record reaction, won't be pretty.

True, very true, but more fool the badge snobs. They’ll be the ones missing out. 

At least Kia sold the Stinger in the UK and got media and social media space,  and demonstrators taking up space on forecourts and auto express and not selling many.  So the UK really needs the more practical AWD,s into the UK, just as BMW, Merc / Daimler,  JLR found out, as did Ford, VW group. Etc,  no point all the power,  all the action and very poor traction.  if cars sit not selling as the asking prices keep dropping,  really they are not that desirable or a success,  just manufacturers keep first registering some every month.    Like the GT86 / BRZ,   Big ups with motoring journalists, few sold and dealerships required them to not look like depreciation disasters in the UK.   Used performance bargains eventually. 

Edited by Offski

5 hours ago, Offski said:

At least Kia sold the Stinger in the UK and got media and social media space,  and demonstrators taking up space on forecourts and auto express and not selling many.  So the UK really needs the more practical AWD,s into the UK, just as BMW, Merc / Daimler,  JLR found out, as did Ford, VW group. Etc,  no point all the power,  all the action and very poor traction.  if cars sit not selling as the asking prices keep dropping,  really they are not that desirable or a success,  just manufacturers keep first registering some every month.    Like the GT86 / BRZ,   Big ups with motoring journalists, few sold and dealerships required them to not look like depreciation disasters in the UK.   Used performance bargains eventually. 

Your last sentence is exactly what I’m hoping for! 

What was brand new built to order, the one you said was £34,500?

As to Skoda.

They made a big deal 2 years ago over delivering 1 million cars world wide in a year.

Really they are not a volume manufacturer, and unless they get a shift on with Hybrids and Electric cars they will become a deliverer of even less vehicles world wide.

6 minutes ago, XLBaconDoubleCheese said:

No, that was brand new, built to order. 

Forgot they tend to offer £6,000 to £7,000 off their premium cars (when buying on PCP) in order to shift them in the same way as Audi, Mercedes and Jaguar (upto £10,000 off an XJ right now) do to get people to buy their overpriced products or why would they offer such large amounts off in the first place (they get it back in overpriced interest rates on the money people borrow).:clap:

I suppose I'm a badge snob too. If I was spending more than £30k on a car it wouldn't be a VW never mind a Kia.

You can buy a similarly aged used 340i for less than a use Kia stinger. Kia might have better spec but I think the majority would take the BMW given the option.

11 hours ago, Aspman said:

I suppose I'm a badge snob too. If I was spending more than £30k on a car it wouldn't be a VW never mind a Kia.

You can buy a similarly aged used 340i for less than a use Kia stinger. Kia might have better spec but I think the majority would take the BMW given the option.

I’m in the minority then. 

3 series are a tight fit inside, too firmly suspended and waaaay overpriced for what they are - effectively the new Ford Mondeo rep-mobile equivalent for 2018. 

I’d take a Stinger all day long in preference! 

But a 335d x-drive touring is a nice comfy, quick and economical way to get your samples & clean shirts and jacket around the country, all year round.

You can even take passengers with you and their luggage if you really have to.

There are loads of reviews, opinions, and comparisons with other £30,000 plus cars, the thing is you need to drive them and see what suits you.

Edited by Offski

9 hours ago, dunc69 said:

I’m in the minority then. 

3 series are a tight fit inside, too firmly suspended and waaaay overpriced for what they are - effectively the new Ford Mondeo rep-mobile equivalent for 2018. 

I’d take a Stinger all day long in preference! 

The 3 series is smaller inside than an Octavia but not cramped and more comfortable. I assume you’ve not driven a F30 3 series as they’re not too firmly suspended but again better than the Octavia providing more grip and comfort on 19” rims with run flats than my Octavia VRS could manage on 18 or 17” wheels where it wallow around bends and crash through dips and pot holes.  The previous E90 and 46 3 series where very firm but not Mini Cooper S firm that would shake your fillings lose. 

Having had a Mondeo previous to the Octavia I don’t mind the comparison, it’s certainly not derogatory 

GF has a Mini Coupe JCW. She thinks my 335d is incredibly smooth and soft.

The x-drive beemers don't have the sport suspension that might cause the crashy ride that they are known for. I'd say it's much more comfortable than my VRS was.

I wouldn't even day the 335d is a 'drivers car', it's not that sort of creature. The RWD 330d is a much sweeter handling car. The 335d is a heavy brute, no finesse.

I wouldn't say a comparison with Fords is negative either. I had a Focus diesel in the early 00's. It was one of the nicest cars to drive I've ever had. I didn't like the Focus until I drove it.

Mine is the M Sport with the sports suspension and it’s still not crashy. When I bought I didn’t even realise it had 19 inch wheels on as it was a much better ride than the Octavia VRS.

My wife had an E82 M Sport 1 series coupe and that was much firmer but not harsh. Even though it was firm it would soak up the impacts rather than transmit them to the occupants or knock you off course. 

1,000 miles so far this week in a 2.4 litre Sportage.

Well made car, comfy but the engine is poor IMO.  Yes 180 up sounds good but only 175 ft lbs of torque is poor and that is at 4 k revs.  Fuel consumption over 7 litres per 100 km and is twice that when climbing which one does for long periods in the Rockies.

Kia do improve theirs cars quicker than most and Sportage just released ie 2019 model are now turbo.  Petrol only 75p a litre so less incentive.  Current car is 4x4 with diff lock and controlled descent which have not needed yet but snow is not far away.

Hardly seen any Audis or VWs here in Aberta or BC and no Skodas ever imported in to North America.  Brother has a sportage which he likes.  Kia is not for me in the UK.

One question is will South Korea sign a trade agreement with UK, or anyone else soon, so will cars jump again in prices as they have with weakening GBP narrowing UK consumer choice.

They are all EU countries so have to moved together.  

Must sign a proper FTA or abide under WTO terms ie charge everyone the standard MFN rate.

Whilst the Stinger is very tempting (spent an hour at Kia Bristol on Thursday talking through the merits of two GT S demonstrators), it always pays to see what else is out there for similar money for a family man.....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806297961446

Oooh, what to do?  

But, a Revo map on the current 2014 vRS is now favourite as an interim solution. 330bhp ish.