Mk11 or mk111

Firstly may I point out I have absolutely no intention of offending any Superb owners 

but

I find the mk111 octavia a step down in quality, comfort and ' cheap feeling ' compared to my current mk11 octavia 

will or would the same be true regarding the Superb mk111 to the mk11 

also so now my usage has drop to south of 9k miles a year I'm considering ( whisper it ) a petrol version although I have driven diesels over many tens of thousands of miles since the early '80's and I do prefer the lazy old school diesel experience 

so 

mk11 or mk111 ?

small petrol engine or greenline diesel ?  ( essentially I'd be looking at an estate just because I'd miss having one tbh ) and I do like the ' extras  ' on the elegence trim ) not sure I can justify the L & K bump up in price but ............. it would be nice 

all advice welcome especially those who have upgraded either from a mk11 to a mk111 or even up from an octavia 

cheers and thanks for reading 

I had two mk2 Superbs before the current mk3. I'd happily recommend either type. I've seen no reduction in build quality in the mk3; exactly the opposite in fact. All mine have been diesel so can't comment on the petrol versions, though others seem happy with theirs. The mk2 Greenline, mk2 2.0 140 and current 2.0 190 DSG have all been good to me.

Obviously the mk2s are getting older now, so if you need absolute reliability that may be something to consider,  but they seem to perform well given what I have read on the mk2 boards. And of course they are cheaper than the newer mk3.

My suggestion would be to find a dealer who has both and test drive back-to-back.

• Like 2

Had a Mk2 estate 1.4TSI and now a Mk3 liftback 1.4TSi ACT. There's very little in it. The Mk2 is still a very nice place to be. Friends and neighbours always though it was a Mercedes, very understated looks while the Mk3 is much sharper looking, gets people looking at it. Unfortunately the Mk3 done away with the physical lever handbrake which took a little getting used to. The 1.4 isn't lacking in power and can be very brisk if asked without any whining. 

Go for the petrol Mk3 unless and really clean Mk2 comes up for a great price. 

• Like 1

I went from a mk2 Octavia RS to a mk3 Superb.

Both r built well, feel solid and the finish is nicer in the Superb.

With mk3 being based on the MQB platform, u get lots of "tech" and nicer options.

I'm very happy and pleased with my step up into a mk3 Superb.

• Like 1

I went straight from an 07 Mk1 Elegance 2.5TDI to a Mk 111 66 reg. 2.0 TDI DSG  / SEL Executive in Business Grey, bought through Motorpoint. There is a lot of difference in the build - the Mk 111 is much lighter and more plasticky, although I have no problem with the way it is put together. Whether I shall ever get to understand all the gizmos fitted is another matter. .... And despite what the handbook says the 150bhp version doesn't need adblu. The silence while driving is amazing for a 4-pot motor. And it looks the biz.

Very much appreciated is the £30 annual rfl - and the 58mpg achieved on a fast run to / from Holland recently, 50mpg around town.

Only major downside for me is the care needed when shunting in a confined space - the lurch when the DSG picks up has to be handled with kid gloves.

Regrets on the change - NO!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davidwhite said:

also so now my usage has drop to south of 9k miles a year I'm considering ( whisper it ) a petrol version although I have driven diesels over many tens of thousands of miles since the early '80's and I do prefer the lazy old school diesel experience 

We drove diesels for almost 20 years before getting our first 1.4 TSi in 2013 in a Leon. The test drive was a revelation. Diesel like torque and flexibility with a petrol rev band and quietness. We now have the 1.4 TSi in the Superb and love it. Wife had a new Fabia TSi earlier this month and even though its only 999 cc you would not believe unless you knew.

Try a TSi before jumping to any conclusions especially about the MPG. We did a 1000 mile road trip last week and the Superb averaged a genuine calculated 54 mpg which is almost as good as we got form the best of our previous diesels, better than some. And we don't hang about, average speed for the trip  there and back was about 63 mph.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ericsuperb said:

And despite what the handbook says the 150bhp version doesn't need adblu.

Be careful with this is you buy a nearly new or new 150 TDi - the later models did introduce an adblue tank I think.

• Sad 1

My Mk 111 was registered Dec 2016, not sure when it came out of the factory, but your note may well be of interest to others who may look at this model - the 190bhp jobbie in all its uses across VAG certainly does need adblue.  

13 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Be careful with this is you buy a nearly new or new 150 TDi - the later models did introduce an adblue tank I think.

Yes anything (as far as I'm aware) delivered in 2018 (even the 150TDI) has AdBlue (our MK3 - Ordered Feb 18, Delivered Apr 18 has AdBlue).

Like some of the guys above, I've had two MkIIs (2011 and 2014) and a MkIII now.  Apart from a few very minor details where I felt the quality slipped (really only in places you don't even notice anyway), the MkIII is very much ahead in all aspects and is a real step up generally.  Comfort, refinement and overall build quality is higher in the newer model.  The MKII was more of an acquired taste for some but the MKIII is more mainstream in terms of looks.  Its a much shaper package overall and I'd try veer towards one at this stage.  Nothing wrong with the MkII at all but the last models are about three years old now.  Also, it hasn't aged as well (aesthetically) as the new version will IMO.

One thing I forgot to add if you are considering a mk2. They need water pump and (cam?) belt replacement at 4 years old. So make sure it has been done or factor in the cost when negotiating a deal. 

Another is how long you want to keep it. I accept this is controversial and may be just my misconception, but about a month after buying my mk3 I found I had reconciled myself mentally to the fact that I was now likely looking at replacement on a 3-4 year basis. Not because of the mechanics, but the electrical assist systems. I've no evidence to say they will go wrong, but if and when they do I reckon you are going to spend a lot having them fixed or replaced once out of warranty.

I have owned a Mk1 Superb 1.9 2005 Elegance, a Mk2 2.0 SE 2014 & a Mk3 2.0 SEL Executive Estate.

My son still drives my old 2005 Mk1 Elegance.

Did have water ingress in the Mk1 and the Mk2 but not yet in the Mk3 :-)

The Mk3 has so much more tech on it compared to the earlier models and, I think, handles better.

Not a fan of the electronic handbrake, but, to be fair, I have had problems with this that hopefully has been addressed by the dealership.

Like BriskodaJeff I fear how the electronic systems will fare long term and the remedial or replacement costs that might follow post warranty.

From a Mk2 FL diesel Octy to a petrol mk3 Superb and it certainly has not been a step down in quality. The cabin of the Superb is well put together and the drive is so much quieter (although a lot of this could be down to the engine!!). I have not regretted the change so far. The only problem you will have is ordering a new one (if looking secondhand then you should be fine) since they have stopped orders at the moment.