SUSPENSION

ARTURO-B

Since owning the car from March, I have found the ride to be poor over our rather poor roads.  Some kindly soul on here told me to check the tyre pressures and sure enough my own were loaded with 45psi -- it let out 10psi which improved 

the ride somewhatd.  I was interested to see in the latest June WHAT CAR the one criticism they seem to have is the thumping of the suspension over poor surfaces (and we have plenty of those in the country at the moment). otherwise they 

seem to love the car but I do find mysself trying to skip round pot-holes !

Interesting. I test drove one on Saturday and thought the suspension was excellent. Can't recall potholes but went over a number of speed bumps without issue. Test drove an Ateca the week before and the difference was very noticeable. Aim to test one again soon so will look for a few potholes to hit (shouldn't be hard to find!). 

1 hour ago, Tom34 said:

Interesting. I test drove one on Saturday and thought the suspension was excellent. Can't recall potholes but went over a number of speed bumps without issue. Test drove an Ateca the week before and the difference was very noticeable. Aim to test one again soon so will look for a few potholes to hit (shouldn't be hard to find!). 

Come to Surrey, you will spoiled for choice, not the dealership but potholes, we got every kind here, deep, shallow, clusters of multiple across whole lane and wide enough to swallow the tyre.

Think our Edition 1.5 TSI with 19" is not bad considering above 

Edited by vadimo

2 hours ago, ARTURO-B said:

Since owning the car from March, I have found the ride to be poor over our rather poor roads.  Some kindly soul on here told me to check the tyre pressures and sure enough my own were loaded with 45psi -- it let out 10psi which improved 

the ride somewhatd.  I was interested to see in the latest June WHAT CAR the one criticism they seem to have is the thumping of the suspension over poor surfaces (and we have plenty of those in the country at the moment). otherwise they 

seem to love the car but I do find mysself trying to skip round pot-holes !

Like you, I have the SE L with 18" wheels. I tried to spec a base model with 17" wheels and a host of extras but was far more expensive than just getting the SE L. 

I don't care much for form, preferring function. What use a car that rides like a cart? No , not the Karok (which suspension copes very well with 19") but my brother in law has ordered a DS 4 with 40profile 19"rims. A go-cart has softer suspension allegedly.

The 18" wheels are caught out with deep or unexpected potholes but its a trade off. I am used to German cars and find the Karok the same or better.

My mate has a two wheel drive Karoq and he says the ride in mine is better ,I think its down to the 4x4 has independent rear suspention and its a beam axle on 2wd

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, patrolman said:

My mate has a two wheel drive Karoq and he says the ride in mine is better ,I think its down to the 4x4 has independent rear suspention and its a beam axle on 2wd

I believe this to be true.

I have no problems with the suspension. Coming from both a Yeti 4x4 and a T-Roc 4x4 to the Karoq. 18" wheels with Bridgestone Turanza 225/50-18 tyres, it is not as handy on the road as the yeti and much more comfortable than the board stiff T-Roc.

What's more of a problem is the choice of winter tyres. There is very little choice in that size, and my preference would have been to replace the originals with Michelin CrossClimate all year, but they do not exist in that size.

2WD Karoq and my only critism regarding the suspension is that one road I go down has ALOT of speed bumps and if you take these at any more than crawling pace you get quite a noticeable 'thunk' as you come off the hump as the suspension drops. Never got this in my Octy, so wonder if it's the increased suspension travel, I don't notice it in general driving just over the bloody annoying humps !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

2WD Karoq and my only critism regarding the suspension is that one road I go down has ALOT of speed bumps and if you take these at any more than crawling pace you get quite a noticeable 'thunk' as you come off the hump as the suspension drops. Never got this in my Octy, so wonder if it's the increased suspension travel, I don't notice it in general driving just over the bloody annoying humps !

I get the same and I just thought it is the extra suspension travel, also been noticed in some motoring magazine reviews who also thought the same.

1 hour ago, stupra said:

Hello guys,

It seems suspension and ride quality is a hot topic. I'm an Ateca driver and a member of both forums. Look at what our lot are saying, interesting to note, they're comparing Karoq to Ateca.

https://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2436

the reviews always say Ateca is setup for Spanish smooth roads and rides firm or you can call it sporty, but i find our Karoq being a well balanced car, Skoda did great job, its not too stiff and very little body roll.

one thing they didnt mention what size alloys they got but read my positive feedback and i am on 19"

Edited by vadimo

Hi Guys.

Having read all your comments and in particular the original post. I realised that I had read something similar in the not too distant past here on Briskoda. Some memory and google searching searching resulted in my remembering what was causing similar experience with other members - Transport Blocks! I wonder if this might be the cause of the abnormally harsh ride. 

I found the link to another (one of a few) instance of these blocks being inadvertently left in place following a "botched" PDI LINK  A quick google search for "Briskoda Transport blocks" will find other instances of this occurring.

I hope that this helps resolve this problem as it is an easy fix.Best of luck............Tony

3 minutes ago, Great Yeti said:

Hi Guys.

Having read all your comments and in particular the original post. I realised that I had read something similar in the not too distant past here on Briskoda. Some memory and google searching searching resulted in my remembering what was causing similar experience with other members - Transport Blocks! I wonder if this might be the cause of the abnormally harsh ride. 

I found the link to another (one of a few) instance of these blocks being inadvertently left in place following a "botched" PDI LINK  A quick google search for "Briskoda Transport blocks" will find other instances of this occurring.

I hope that this helps resolve this problem as it is an easy fix.Best of luck............Tony

wow ok would amazing if thats on my car, i will check

think i might have to leave them as i dont want to compromise my ride :)

To be honest, imho you shouldn't expect too much comfort on bad quality roads with 19 inch wheels. Bigger wheels have their advantages and disadvantages, poorer comfort is one of them.

The size of the alloys isn't so much the issue, its the profile of the tyres.

The 18" and 19" alloys on the Kodiaq have nice 'pothole absorbing' tyres with a nice high profile.

The tyres on the 18" Karoq alloys look like elastic bands!

12 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The size of the alloys isn't so much the issue, its the profile of the tyres.

The 18" and 19" alloys on the Kodiaq have nice 'pothole absorbing' tyres with a nice high profile.

The tyres on the 18" Karoq alloys look like elastic bands!

And it was me thinking that I will get away from feeing every gap in the road after a fiesta ST and a polo gti lol...maybe not then :sweat:

• Like 1

Tyre size on Karoq 18" is 225/50-18

Tyre size on Kodiaq is 235/55-18 or 235/50-19.

So, the 18" Karoq and the 19" Kodiaq have same sidewall ratio, but the Kodiaq has 5 mm more sidewall due to the wider tread. IMHO, there is not so much difference in the tyre diameter on these to make a difference in the wheels ability to float over potholes.

The 18" wheels on the Karoq work just fine, only it is near impossible to find a suitable winter/all season tyre in that dimension. My preference for our climate - both Denmark and the UK would be a 235/55-17" set-up with the new Michelin CrossClimate SUV tyres all year round. Excellent on dry, warm wet and cold wet performance, but not quite as good as a proper winter tyre on snow. With as little snow as we get, who cares too much about the snow performance, it's the wet performance that is the real parameter.

Now, I just have to get Skoda to confirm that this size will fit OK. Since the 19" wheels for the Karoq has a 235 mm wide thread on 8" wide rims, it should be OK.

Karoq...

5b1251c4d4ee7_Karoq17.JPG.e6467a6c5fb3a81d9131dac76fe6bb5c.JPG     5b1251c7dc1d8_Karoq18.JPG.6e506d5b50ed6d0ae7e89c0898387bd9.JPG

5b1251ca9524b_Karoq19.JPG.f7f75e7f7fa0d32771c5a32d26e96253.JPG

Kodiaq...

5b1251ced5aaa_Kodiaq17.JPG.95ee80efe47bf8b625f7b6602bd3c280.JPG     5b1251d0f0073_Kodiaq18.JPG.a05d58ce3e1c910b2d9342528e51a52f.JPG

5b1251d6b3bb5_Kodiaq19Sirius.JPG.65f56fba03149641a3f193155a17aca4.JPG   5b1251d9a6a3c_Kodiaq19Triglav.JPG.bde29935054c03e0ec83c5e8db3c2a8c.JPG

5b1251dcce249_Kodiaq19Crater.JPG.07a0f6c018b391d29bb539372e292761.JPG   5b1251dfc121c_Kodiaq20.JPG.6ae9c043d96e0e5eb6efda5054100671.JPG

Karoq Crater 19" Crater vs. Kodiaq 19" Triglav...

Karoq Crater - 235/40 R19...

skoda-karoq-2018-643.jpg.393d6ce8ffa9538803ae17b97b6aba8f.jpg

Kodiaq Triglav - 235/50 R19...

trig2.png.5210a25bf321dfde63bd5dbda1851fe6.png

40 to 50 profile makes a significant difference.

Edited by silver1011

In an effort to offer a real work comparison for someone considering a switch...

I have moved from a Qashqai, 2wd on 18 inch rims to a 4wd Karoq on 18 rims.

The ride is more settled on the Karoq at low and high speeds and the noise levels are lower. It rolls slightly more on A roads but still feels much more planted and less likely to understeer. The Karoq is pretty sensitive to tyre pressure and you really can feel changes in roll rates, ride quality and noise if they are too high ( the PDI had clearly failed this bit on mine - 40% over inflated)

Overall it is much more refined but I think the designers have quite cleverly put a package together that encourages you to stay within the comfort zones of the design where the car is incredibly capable. Beyond that, you feel some of the comprises but to be honest the are very few cars where you wouldn't

2 hours ago, nickfrog said:

I thought the Karoq 18 was 215 width. Either this yields more than a 5mm sidewall height difference, more like 25mm.

The Karoq tread width IS 225 mm.5b126aed9ba83_KaroqTyre.jpg.2efe26251d819be4e6f09aa32049bb48.jpg

In Denmark, all Karoq wheels 18" and under are 225 mm tread width. 19" are 235/40-19.

I cannot imagine that this is different in other countries.

P1020129.thumb.JPG.fd4ab952fa5c479ba4e7acfb6093e4d7.JPG

The car is 2.0 TDI 150 HP adblue 4x4.

it will likely handle differently than a petrol 2WD, as suspension in the rear is quite different and the car is 250 kg heavier tahn a 1.5 TS 2WD.