Top Gear

Channel

This may not be the ideal place to ask this but I was wondering as Top Gear has now lost 70% of viewers. What subjects should they show that would interest  more of those of us who are interested in cars?  Because at the moment, it appears that the programme is for the benefit of those making it and not the viewers.  Driving old sheds and towing caravans over jumps does not help anybody.  A subject that could be covered for example would be the driving difference between DSG,CVT and Torsen gearboxes and there are many others that would be much more interesting and useful to 8 million that used to watch it.

You can get all the technical stuff you want on Youtube, fully explained by many people giving you that for free.

For my £12.37 a month i pay to the BBC because the UK Government require me to i want entertainment and news and various stuff.

When i want car programmes with mechanics and the likes there are plenty of those that are not on the BBC.

1 hour ago, Channel said:

This may not be the ideal place to ask this but I was wondering as Top Gear has now lost 70% of viewers. What subjects should they show that would interest  more of those of us who are interested in cars?  Because at the moment, it appears that the programme is for the benefit of those making it and not the viewers.  Driving old sheds and towing caravans over jumps does not help anybody.  A subject that could be covered for example would be the driving difference between DSG,CVT and Torsen gearboxes and there are many others that would be much more interesting and useful to 8 million that used to watch it.

Perhaps it is already hapenning with youtube channel like Honest John and the like....

https://www.youtube.com/user/honestjohncouk

8 hours ago, Channel said:

I'm part of the 70% I'm afraid, not watched it for years. I fell out with it when those 3 t*ts that used to present it got way too big and gobby for themselves but mainly why I and maybe many others don't want a continual parade of super cars week after week being test driven in some far off land, most of it we can only dream of.
Nowt wrong with dreaming and showing us stuff like that but hey it's a car show for the everyday motorist we are not all dreamers.

I not sure what would be in vogue now as a car show, everyone seems to want razzmatazz and celebs presenting, they should look back to the archives and see why TG was popular back then and have a rethink just to bring that up to date???

MickA -  a reply that sums up the problem.  Having in the not too distant past, written to the BBC  about the same thing that hacks you off, I was told that there can be nothing wrong with the programme as 8 million watch it.  Looking at yesterdays figures that were produced after Matt LeBlanc left, it is now down to 2.4 million.  There must be something wrong somewhere.

1 hour ago, Channel said:

MickA -  a reply that sums up the problem.  Having in the not too distant past, written to the BBC  about the same thing that hacks you off, I was told that there can be nothing wrong with the programme as 8 million watch it.  Looking at yesterdays figures that were produced after Matt LeBlanc left, it is now down to 2.4 million.  There must be something wrong somewhere.

Yeah I try not to have a moan about it, you only get replies such as well reach for the off switch or watch something else.
We all want different things when watching these types of shows, not for me the flashy new stuff, so I don't tend to watch TG because I know what's in store. My wife subscribes to Amazon Prime so I watched the Grand Tour ( I was curious) the first show I watched lasted 10 mins and I jsut couldn't watch it anymore, that was when they brought out the super cars :sleepy: 

Sums folk up really, I went to a old workmates reunion yesterday, there I met up with someone who I'd last seen 10 years ago, he was banging on about the car he'd bought around 3 years ago, a Porsche 911 targa, it left me cold and uninterested.  I told him I  have an MX-5 he reacted in the same way as I did about his car, each to there own :wondering: he was  gobby b*gger anyway, always has been.

But it highlights what folk want from these types of shows, not all the latest BM's, Merc's or fastest hot hatch on the market.

For me it would have to be back in the days of Jezza, Tiff,Quinton, Michelle and Vicki, when it was more of a consumer programme and test drives of cars I could actually afford.

Much as I like Ferrari’s and Lambos hooning round a track, I want to see a honest review of a car, that I may end up buying, but again you can you tube these sort of things now.

Davy

• Like 2

I think You Tube has the consumer angle covered. Top Gear is a brand of entertainment show now.

It won't go away though no matter how bad it is, the brand is too strong and it's worth too much money.

I have Amaozn as well. I watched all TGT episodes and I didn't think it was great. It really was old TG on the internet. Nothing fresh about it at all.

I think TG with Matt at the end was quite a bit better than TGT and it would have beaten it hands down if he'd stayed for a 3rd series.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to go to Dunsfold for the filming TWICE with a very short time of each other. 

With Jezza, May & Hammond it was genuinely quite entertaining because there was a lot of stuff you saw there in the hanger that didn't get broadcast and couldn't possibly be broadcast as it was too lewd, crude or genuinely naughty.

When they left I watch the next series and it wasn't for me and I've tried watching it with MLB & Co and it just doesn't cut it, so don't watch it anymore.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wet Kipper said:

Fifth gear is apparently coming back

https://jalopnik.com/fifth-gear-is-back-1826828574

no idea which channel it's going to be on. Hopefully one of the ones on "poverty-spec" Sky/Virgin packages.

Travel channel?

They've got Shed and Buried. Which I bizarrely enjoy immensely.

Sam Lovegrove for TG!

• Like 1

T.G. Died, the day that stupid T.W.A.T. complained to officials about J.C. giving him a slap!   As it then had to go "Through the proper channels" And not just a handshake, a few beers and a sing-song about the ding-dong! 

The BEEB, knew they had to fire Jezza and they also knew Captain Slow and the Hamaster would not let the door hit them on the arses on the way out too!

So from that day on, the show was in worse condition then an Austin Allegro, with 120,000 miles on the clock, that had been used to transport five burley Cornishmen to and from the sea salt processing plant, whilst towing a large trailer full of tin!

Edited by mrgf
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, mrgf said:

T.G. Died, the day that stupid **** lost his temper because he couldn't get a steak and gave the producer a totally unnecessary and violent slap! 

The BEEB, knew they had to fire the arrogant bubble-permed twit and they also knew the other two knob heads would not let the door hit them on the arses on the way out too!

FTFY :wondering:

• Like 2

Oh, i get you. Although, In my opinion (Self opinionated T.W.A.T.I know) I think Jezza, despite being the perpetrator of the violent action, would have almost certainly visibly wound up after the days shenanigans so the so-called producer (Couldn't produce a nice juicy steak for his main attraction) Should have either diffused the situation, slapped Jezza back or manned up, stepped back and assessed the situation. I too, would have spannered the prat and I am one of the least violent men on the planet As producer of a top BBC show, where will he be without said program? Just another knob fiddling, tea fetching wanna-be! He (Don't even know the bell-end's name) Ruined a great entertainment slot for millions, whilst the team went elsewhere, made more money then God and now, the big J is hosting "Who wants to be a millionaire". He will earn more out of that than all the punters who take place, whilst the producer is most likely producing something on CBBC. Lets hope he doesn't upset the Tellytubbies-he won't want that hand bag wrapped around his face!

Thats all entirely bs. Jezza acted the tool, utterly over reacted and took it out on one person. the fact the producer didnt hit him back says alot more about his character than jezza - violence wasnt going to get a fking steak was it... did he tank his career? I dunno, but at least he didnt tank his own morals...

If that producer had slapped the 'talent', especially a 'talent' that made as much money for the Beeb as Jezza he'd never work in the industry again.

No this one was on Jezza having a hissy fit but the program was very stale before that anyway. Just look at TGT on Amazon, same guys, massive budget and nothing new at all. It's not been renewed is my understanding.

I thought Chris Evans was a good call originally, but I thought he'd have been given a free hand to recreate the show. He did some big innovative TV in the past on Channel 4.

Again as I understand it the powers that be didn't want a new show they wanted the old show that sold well.

I thought it was doing well with Matt but another change of team might kill it off for a while at least.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mrgf said:

Oh, i get you. Although, In my opinion (Self opinionated T.W.A.T.I know) I think Jezza, despite being the perpetrator of the violent action, would have almost certainly visibly wound up after the days shenanigans so the so-called producer (Couldn't produce a nice juicy steak for his main attraction) Should have either diffused the situation, slapped Jezza back or manned up, stepped back and assessed the situation. I too, would have spannered the prat and I am one of the least violent men on the planet As producer of a top BBC show, where will he be without said program? Just another knob fiddling, tea fetching wanna-be! He (Don't even know the bell-end's name) Ruined a great entertainment slot for millions, whilst the team went elsewhere, made more money then God and now, the big J is hosting "Who wants to be a millionaire". He will earn more out of that than all the punters who take place, whilst the producer is most likely producing something on CBBC. Lets hope he doesn't upset the Tellytubbies-he won't want that hand bag wrapped around his face!

Keyboard warrior …

33551251566_a5e1531ae7_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You may have noticed my tongue firmly in my cheek there... That said, i stand by what I said just not the method of his (J.C.) Action. Again, though, the producer should have known better as the BEEB had their hands tied. The only accolade this producer will get now, is the dubious honour of killing one of the few motoring magazine programs loved by both sexes. Oh, and I still recon the proddie will find jobs few and far between.

Unless photographic evidence is shown, in advance, tongues being wedged in cheeks rarely transmit in the typed word...

And it does seem strange, to me, how often people say that after they make a statement that is unjustified or just stupid

Edited by mac11irl

• 1 month later...