Sat Nav is rubbish!

Jacksdad

The sat nav in our Karoq SEL is really frustrating me. On several occasions it has sent me in the wrong direction, or told me the wrong instruction. For example, it recently told me to leave the motorway, and proceed along a dual carriageway for about a mile, then do a u-turn and rejoin the motorway at the same junction and in the same direction I was going in the first place! Another time it told me to keep right to stay on a dual carriageway (rather than use left lane slip road off up to roundabout) and then it told my to take the third exit of the roundabout I was driving under! 

We are driving from Manchester to Cornwall this summer, and I think I’ll use the maps on my phone via CarPlay rather than trust the sat nav, as I’d like to get there the same day we set off. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?! Shall I contact the dealer?

Can't speak to the Skoda unit, but your car has Smartlink so you can handover CarPlay to the car screen, which will now support Google Maps, Waze, and others via iOS12 - in addition to Apple Maps of course:

According to Auto Express the launch date for iOS12 hasn't been announced yet but it's expected to be sometime in September. Must admit, I'd never heard of Waze but it does sound good - much better than going around in a Maze..:D

• Haha 1

Everyone I've seen who uses Waze rates it :thumbup:

Owned by Google, but a different experience to Google Maps.

Shows speed limits too.

Only collected my car yesterday and went on a 100 mile country run.   Sat nav only used to see if it worked and couldn’t fault it to be honest.   It actually found me a quicker route home than I would normally take.  Having said that, I still believe in Road Atlas’s as I hate driving “blind”.   Nav just for finding an address in a strange town / city.

I've got no complaints with the Columbus it's worked fine every time I have used it so far including rerouting me on the way home from picking the car up due to road closures caused by a major accident.

I have no problem with the Amundsen kit in my car. You might want to download the latest update to the sat-nav mapping, updated in May.

Also, why is this in the guides section? It's basically a moan, so can a moderator move it to the general section?

• Like 1

I hated the Amundsen in my Octavia III as it did similar things, however it was much better after I turned off the automatic re-routing function.  Recently used the Columbus for a 1600 mile round trip to Italy and it was flawless (again I turned off the auto re-routing function)

I think it's very hard for any 'old school' Sat Nav to compete against the waze, gmaps, apple maps. Their routing, traffic information etc is realtime and carried out on massive compute clusters. My advice, carplay / android auto :-)

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 11:33, Jacksdad said:

The sat nav in our Karoq SEL is really frustrating me. On several occasions it has sent me in the wrong direction, or told me the wrong instruction. For example, it recently told me to leave the motorway, and proceed along a dual carriageway for about a mile, then do a u-turn and rejoin the motorway at the same junction and in the same direction I was going in the first place! Another time it told me to keep right to stay on a dual carriageway (rather than use left lane slip road off up to roundabout) and then it told my to take the third exit of the roundabout I was driving under! 

We are driving from Manchester to Cornwall this summer, and I think I’ll use the maps on my phone via CarPlay rather than trust the sat nav, as I’d like to get there the same day we set off. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?! Shall I contact the dealer?

Mine did that on journey around the m25 recently but I put it down to the m25 traffics clearing and it still being quicker to turn back and return onto the m25. Other than that I couldn't fault it on a 300 mile journey. The only issue was it was telling me of long delays but they were on the other carriageway. I had no problem with waze  on my iPhone but on android it keeps crashing. I do like the skoda system as it puts instructions in front of you on the MFD, gives you lane guidance and speed limits. 

I run Waze via AA, from an 8.1 Android phone. Shows speed limits, and doesn't crash.

I had photo lane guidance on an old Garmin, but don't miss the pics much tbh. Waze tells/highlights the lane. And between the two, I'd rather have the up to date aspect.

But I've never had built in, so can't compare.

Possibly I'm a bit old fashioned - but I still love my Tomtom 5200 with it's free updates of maps, traffic, speed cameras which are always legal in the relevant country , which downloading POI cameras isn't in some! It's great for planning multiple complicated routes so I know they agree with what is in my head and I find the traffic very accurate indeed - save me many an hour of my life not sat in traffic. I use it every day driving to and from work even though I know every route off by heart (been doing the same 32 miles each way for over 25 years!)

I use a Brodit clip to mount it in a sensible position - not on the windscreen

I'd use Brodit if I was mounting a standalone. I never liked the suckers. Right invite to the scrotes. 

I like pre-planning and saving destinations on my phone as a favourite. Can then just tap them up on the car screen. Or use Voice for a one-off.

Yes, mine tries to take me off of dual carriageways via the off slip road, up to the roundabout, and then back down the on slip onto the road it just took me off of! Auto-rerouting is turned off, so it's not that.

42 minutes ago, bone_tone said:

Yes, mine tries to take me off of dual carriageways via the off slip road, up to the roundabout, and then back down the on slip onto the road it just took me off of! Auto-rerouting is turned off, so it's not that.

That happened to me last year with waze. A

The problem with re-routing is that the satnav relies on data broadcast by others. They have a nasty habit of leaving the data "on" much after the road problem has been cleared.

2 hours ago, Tom34 said:

Frustrating to hear. May have to use Google maps then, how much data does it use roughly? 

Last time I used it seriously, for a trip from Yorkshire across to Lake Como and back, over two weeks, about 350mb. My phone has a 26Gb tariff and with EU Roaming, didn't have to think about it.

Good luck to the first UK network who tries to go back to charging extra for EU use.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tom34 said:

Frustrating to hear. May have to use Google maps then, how much data does it use roughly? 

Your usage may vary, and you can cache map areas. I like putting it on even when I know where I'm going (for the traffic). I probably get through 100mb a month. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, olly_shaw said:

Your usage may vary, and you can cache map areas. I like putting it on even when I know where I'm going (for the traffic). I probably get through 100mb a month. 

True, if you're running GM in standalone mode on the phone. In AA on the car screen, it always defaults (IME) to the online, whatever you've saved earlier.

11 minutes ago, Tom34 said:

Doesn't use as much data as I thought it would so that's handy. Will give the built in one a fair shot first though. 

Makes sense. First went for online/AA with a previous Yeti when the salesman pointed out the then £600 saving, and the extras with AA - msg apps, music/audiobook etc.  And I've stayed with it.

But if I was in the built in market, I'd certainly give it a good go :thumbup:

On 04/06/2018 at 11:33, Jacksdad said:

Our Lexus used to try and take us off part of the M20 where there is a parallel section which rejoins, I think it is shorter so if you had chosen shortest route it was doing what you wanted, not sure if that is the case here

• 6 months later...

Not much impressed with SE-L satnav. Going in tomorrow for attention to tailgate rattle. Will ask them about this. No points of interest other than fuel and restaurants (& one other so interesting I can't remember).

No turn by turn advance directions.

Think I'll resurrect my old stick on Garmin.

Should it have the app that gets it to flash lights and beep when you lost it in a car park? I can't find it. Or the prewarm cabin on a cold morning.

Or create a new destination, check car security from home wifi? It's close enough.

Maybe it's the next level up from SE-L but it doesn't make it clear in the book.

I have no problem with the Sat Nav in my SEL however plug your phone in and use google maps via Apple car play or Android. You get very accurate mapping live traffic updates and countless POI. Directions are clear and concise with on screen turn by turn display.