Driver side Electric Window Switches

Hi All,

Since we have had the Superb 3, something has been bothering me, and I thought it was just me, but recently it's got more noticable...

When using the driver side master electric window switches, for the one-touch functionality...it doesn't work the first time they are pressed...so effectively I have "two touch".  Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, whether its an electrical gremlin, or crappy switches?  The switches do feel "cheaper" than the Superb 2's ones, maybe I'm not being heavy handed enough with them?

The first press always starts the window going down, but when I release the switch, the window stops...do it again, and the one-touch functionality works as expected.  These switches dont appear to have the half-press/full-press functionality of the Superb 2's switches so am I missing something?

Sorry if its not explained very well :blush:

The switches are a bit fussy:

Open/close window

To open, lightly press the appropriate button down and hold it until the window

has moved into the desired position.

or: press the button to the stop, the window automatically opens fully. Renewed

pressing of the button causes the window to stop.

To close, pull gently on the top edge of the corresponding button and hold

until the window has moved into the desired position.

or: pull the button briefly to the stop, the window automatically closes fully.

Renewed pulling of the button causes the window to stop immediately.

• Thanks 1

Not just you hwr - I have the same thing. It's intermittent to the point where I'm not sure if it is me or the switch, and it's certainly not enough of a bother to take in for a fix separately. But I will try to remember to let the dealer know when it next goes for service.

Freelunch - agreed.

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, freelunch said:

The switches are a bit fussy:

Open/close window

To open, lightly press the appropriate button down and hold it until the window

has moved into the desired position.

or: press the button to the stop, the window automatically opens fully. Renewed

pressing of the button causes the window to stop.

To close, pull gently on the top edge of the corresponding button and hold

until the window has moved into the desired position.

or: pull the button briefly to the stop, the window automatically closes fully.

Renewed pulling of the button causes the window to stop immediately.

Yeah, it appears that the window is only registering a "light" press down, when I'm pressing all the way down for the one-touch.

I haven't tried the passenger door yet, but I think its only happening on the drivers master controls.

Regards

Haydn

There might be a reset function, where you hold the button down for a few seconds after the window reaches the bottom and then the top. Well, there was on the Alfa.

Somebody who knows will come along...  :biggrin:

The switch on my driver’s door for the driver’s window does seem to be a bit hit or miss. 

Had a few Passats in the past, and they were much more positive. 

To reset lower and then raise the window, once closed hold switch up and that should reset the one touch function.

• Thanks 1

It’s a mechanical failure of the switch, you should clearly feel the two stages when you press down.  First the one touch fails then the opening operation fails completely. Just had mine replaced under warranty. It’s a single module containing the four switches on the driver’s door. Took about half an hour to replace. 

Edited by Stinker
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 21:24, Stinker said:

It’s a mechanical failure of the switch, you should clearly feel the two stages when you press down.  First the one touch fails then the opening operation fails completely. Just had mine replaced under warranty. It’s a single module containing the four switches on the driver’s door. Took about half an hour to replace. 

That's interesting, I'll have to see if I can feel the 2-stages on the other switches in the car.  It's behaving at the moment, but its certainly gave me something to think about!  There most defintely isn't a 2-stage switch on any of the drivers-door module bank of switches.

• 2 years later...
On 11/06/2018 at 21:24, Stinker said:

Guessing I’ve got the same problem as you then. Tonight driving into work I couldn’t open the windows at all for the security gate (that was fun to get through the barrier!) and when i parked up afterwards and tested it looks like my drivers door switches are all failing.

I was able to fully open and close all windows via the remote and the three passenger door switches operate their respective windows ok but the drivers one is very intermittent now.

managed to get it opening and closing by only gently pressing the first click each way but sometimes even that doesn’t work and the window will stop and jerk all the way up or down.

occasionally it will work properly and do full opening or closing on one touch but it seems mostly it doesn’t work now.

will have to contact the dealer tomorrow, I did a scan with Carista and it does show one persistent fault in the infotainment for “01555 motors for central locking SAVE” but I’m not sure if that’s related or a red herring after updating the infotainment firmware (I’ve found other threads on it suggesting that may be the case)

Another update, seems the fix was short lived - front passenger side one touch open hardly ever works (though normal open and close does usually), drivers side is intermittent on both one touch and normal open (sometimes works, sometimes stops and starts and other times it works fine) and the rears are both a bit intermittent for one touch opening.

all three passenger switches work perfectly and the remote opening and closing is also fine.

waiting for a call back from the dealer (not holding my breath....) but looks like it’ll be a few weeks before my days off are in the week to get there so guess I’ll be having fun getting through barrier gates in the mean time.

My driver window doesn't always work as I think it should.

I assumed it was just me imagining things, but now I've read this I'm thinking it's the car.

Finally spoke to the dealer today and got booked in for a few weeks time to look at it.

I tested the switches with VCDS today and have screenshots of all four drivers door switches showing “implausible” when pressed fully down to the one touch opening position yet other times they will all work at random.

seems pretty clear cut the switch unit is failing but will have to hope the dealer tech is able to see the same on the day and not have one of those “can’t replicate the fault” situations :thinking:

5 hours ago, Steviedakota said:

Not a costly item to replace or difficult to do.

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5e0959857whs-window-control-switch-skoda-24543.html

That’s not the right switch unit for mine as it has the mirror adjuster and both rear child lock buttons instead of a single one to disable the rear window buttons

C63CCF4D-E335-4C77-90CF-055895209F8D.jpegIf anyone can find this one part number I’d like to know anyway!

Edited by SkudMissile21

I have found this too and I did a lot of fiddling in standstill traffic this week. These are my findings. 

As you know there are two settings:

1. Up and down

2. All the way up and down 

I have found that if one window is pressed to 1, and you press another widow to 2, the second window will not recognise the 2 press. 

This happens when you are opening multiple windows at once. So you open both front windows with one nifty push. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update today, dealer tech looked at it and they have agreed the switch unit needs to be replaced so it’s being ordered under warranty.

Thankfully I had managed to take several videos showing it failing to operate properly including stopping and starting while lowering the drivers window when the button is held down so I was also able to show him those before he took the car into the workshop.