Just had my BCA End of Lease Inspection

On 16/06/2018 at 17:43, silver1011 said:

Check the boot again for the sealant, I nearly fell foul of this too on our PCH Octavia Scout estate, it's underneath the compressor.

You have to lift out the compressor to reveal a deeper compartment that holds the sealant.

I'll take a look!

So I spoke to VWFS about the inspection report... they've knocked off 2 alloy wheels, the bumper pain, one of the dents and the tyre sealant (on the basis I send them my initial order form which shows I didn't order it)... so the bill is now down to £240 from £420. Still more than I wanted to pay, but a lot better nonetheless!

Before I bought my VRS, I returned a BMW X1 via BCA. A week before the inspection a colleague drove into my car and damaged the front bumper and two plastic trim items (one on the bumper, one around the wheel arch). I had also kerbed one alloy in the 3 years I owned the car. The repair costs quoted were very reasonable and much less than I would have had to pay to get it done myself.

Imagine my surprise when I received a letter from BMW finance saying that, due to the overall excellent condition of the vehicle, they were waiving any repair costs! I paid nothing even though the car had plainly been damaged in a car park accident the week before.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mcscoobs said:

tyre sealant (on the basis I send them my initial order form which shows I didn't order it)

I don't think you can order it, can you, because it comes as standard unless you order a spare wheel?

You've damaged someone else's car and therefore will have to pay for the damage in line with the BVRLA guidelines.

I thought they were extremely reasonable when my last lease car went back. I paid for 1x alloy wheel which was entirely fair and less than the cost of a refurb myself and the scratches on the boot (it was an estate so easy to slide things out) were noted but they said they were light and would polish out.

You have to remember that if you owned this car outright and sold/traded it in to a dealer they too would reduce the value due to the imperfections.

Not being funny its like when we moved out of previous rented property... Tried to screw us over on numerous things which were same as when we moved in (backed up by the letting agent's 1200 plus pics) which we used to demonstrate.

Clincher was that "gutters needed cleaned out". They were spotless having been jetwashed 2 weeks prior (as had moss off roof). Our "loss of deposit of around £1000 ended up at £98 for odds and sods. As i said earlier, fair wear and tear has to include paint chips and odd dink. My 6 week old VRS on 3000 miles has minor chips....

On 15/06/2018 at 10:03, ScoutCJB said:

And in essence it'll probably go straight to auction without any of that work being done.

They do. And they mark it as a "Grade 2" car, as they've started graded based on number of marks rather than severity, and that'll force the price above book. 

They'll then charge the second hand car dealer £400 in fees for buying the car, and leave them with the cost of repairs. 

In other words, they make thousands upon thousands at every one of their ~30 auction centres every day. Fight them for every penny and they'll give in as they just want the wheel to keep turning. 

Edited by Saints92
  • Thanks 1

I handed back my Golf GTD last December with a very similar set of issues - kerbing which was in excess of 50mm, a couple of dents/marks on the rear bumper and a couple of light scratches. Didn't get charged for any of it. I guess it's who comes to do the inspection right? I'd definitely fight it. Why not? I now pay £300 month for a VRS which I much prefer but I'll put aside £300 for end of lease issues. 

On 6/15/2018 at 09:55, mcscoobs said:

So after 3 years and 65,000 miles, the time has come for the Octavia vRS to go. Car is being collected in 1 weeks time. However, just after some advice regards the Vehicle Condition Report. The report states:

1) All 4 wheels require refurb @ £36 each (£144)

2) Tyre sealant missing - £47.50 to replace

3) Scratch on bumper, less than 25mm through top coat - £55.20 to repair

4) Dent across swage line on wheel arch - £138 to repair and refinish

5) Dent on LHR Door 10mm-25mm - £36 to pop out

So here's my take on the findings....

1) All the alloys are indeed kerbed, but the inspector said they are just slightly over the "wear and tear allowance", so may have to swallow this.

2) My car never came with a spare or the sealant from day one. Was told by VW that it was an optional extra. So why I should I have to pay nearly £50 to replace something that was never there? 

3) Looks like a stone chip of sorts from motorway driving, can't really question it

4) Seems expensive? The dent is tiny

5) I couldn't see this dent even after 3 times of the inspector showing me. Eventually I could see the tiniest of dents by looking at it in a certain light. Its madness.

What do I do? Its a bill of £420...  I just feel like they are expecting the car in brand new showroom condition nearly :( Do VW get in touch with me regards payment? Or do I approach them? This has really put me off leasing in the future.... Thanks in advance!

In effect you are feeling the affect of dieselgate.  The residual value of diesels are way lower than they were expected to be, instead of being 5% or so higher than petrol cars they are 5% lower currently and companies are trying to claw back their losses as the calculated end of lease value is way short of what they were expecting.

I suppose lease people so not get to sue VW for dieselgate but I suspect you are getting the affects.  Other than taking the option to buying the car, do the work for a lot less than they quoted and getting a good trade in it is a difficult situation that does not have an easy answer I suspect.