Very disappointing DTUk experience

Daxmatt

So I bought a second hand DTUk tuning box, it's for my yeti so it's the cr170 version I have the original receipt so I know it's the correct one for the car, so upon getting the unit you read the instructions as you do and in the instructions it says, some vehicles can not run certain settings so get in touch for advice.

Ok fine so I fire an email off to dtuk tell them the situation, this should be an easy thing they receive the email and they then say ok yeah don't use settings blah blah blah for the cr170 

No they refuse to tell me anything due to there insurance not allowing them due to the fact I'm not the original purchaser. I don't see how someone having bought something albeit second hand ( as many people do ) with the original purchase receipt can not be told a simple thing of the settings it shouldn't use, regardless of the purchaser or the unit the settings not to use would be the same for my vehicle, I just find it pathetic that they won't divulge this information given the proof I have it's the correct unit for my car 

The idea was see what this unit was like then if I got on with it then I'd sell it on and get the newer app control unit, tbh I won't be buying anything from them (I realise I have  entered yet but no future purchases will be made from them) given experience as it's left a sour taste 

Or am I being unreasonable ? 

I don't think "product support" is routinely offered by anybody on second hand goods that they didn't sell you?

They don't know the previous owner hasn't flashed it with some random software mods do they?

So, honestly, I can understand them (and their insurer) not wanting to take any responsibility for your engine, which might be implicit if they told you what settings to use.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

From my experience on a 170CR Yeti you are not missing out on much... mine overfulled by quite a lot, so it went back.

IMO you are far better off getting it remapped by a respectable tuner (I highly recommend Shark)

• Like 1

+1 on spending the money on a remap from a competent tuner. Plug-in boxes make power by fooling the engine into over-fuelling and over-boosting. Long term they will not be good for your engine or your wallet.

• Like 1

Haven't fitted it as yet as I'm a bit reluctant without knowing the settings not to use it on

I do get where some of the other poster's are coming from but all I wanted was the settings not to use it on and they should be a standard thing on this unit for my vehicle, I'm not asking for warranty work and I'm not expecting them to stand to any problems that may occur from fitting it either 

What about asking the original buyer for the settings if fitted to the appropriate vehicle? 

Or get him to request the correct settings from DTUK as the original buyer? 

Or enquire if DTUK will service or set the tuning box back to factory settings and then give you the settings you require?

One get out for you is to check the T&C's on DTUK's website for selling on their equipment. If it states they will only supply tailor settings to the original buyer, then the person who sold it to you should have declared that when they sold it to you. Depending on where you bought it; amazon, eBay, etc you would be able to claim redress from the seller as he failed to declare it. 

When I had mine fitted to my yeti it was only the highest settings it didn't like.

The rest were fine.

Start off at the lowest and work your way up till your happy with the performance. 

• Like 1