ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control issue

Hi,

I've got a 65 plate Superb MK 3 SE L Executive which comes with Adaptive Cruise Control.

I've used it for the first time on the motorway and it worked fine for about 5-10 minutes by keeping my speed to 70.

However suddenly I realized that it scans the left lane vehicles which are obviously slower than me.... and keeps breaking to keep the distance between that car and mine whereas my lane is completely empty and can easily keep up the speed of 70.

and I have noticed this behavior multiple times and is quite annoying.

This is the first time I have used this feature so not sure if anything specific needs to be done in order to scan only your own lane and not the left or right lanes?

Anyone with experience with this system can help out here please? as my old car had normal cruise control which i am completely used to but this one is very annoying by checking left and right lanes where as my lane is completely clear.

Thanks

V

My car only really picks up cars in other lanes on bends, if the road is straight or nearly straight then it'll cruise straight past slower traffic. I've probably done 4-5,000km using ACC now so pretty used to it.

I know the system has to be calibrated (if the windscreen is changed etc.) so maybe there's an issue there? Pretty hard to diagnose though, if it is happening on straight roads and not just bends you'd really need to check another Superb or get someone who is familiar with how it should work to try yours. 

Has the car been put in Right hand side Travel Mode?  This is mainly for the lights when traveling abroad but it *may* set everything else up for driving on the continent too, incl. ACC. 

From memory (don't shoot me if I'm wrong!).  Car/Vehicle >> Settings >> Lights >> Travel Mode = Left

If it's set to 'Right' then that could be what's causing it.  

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

Has the car been put in Right hand side Travel Mode?  This is mainly for the lights when traveling abroad but it *may* set everything else up for driving on the continent too, incl. ACC. 

From memory (don't shoot me if I'm wrong!).  Car/Vehicle >> Settings >> Lights >> Travel Mode = Left

If it's set to 'Right' then that could be what's causing it.  

i am a little bit confused with this - in UK it is right hand drive so does the travel mode needs to be chosen as LEFT ?

3 minutes ago, juux said:

My car only really picks up cars in other lanes on bends, if the road is straight or nearly straight then it'll cruise straight past slower traffic. I've probably done 4-5,000km using ACC now so pretty used to it.

I know the system has to be calibrated (if the windscreen is changed etc.) so maybe there's an issue there? Pretty hard to diagnose though, if it is happening on straight roads and not just bends you'd really need to check another Superb or get someone who is familiar with how it should work to try yours. 

Thats what i would expect it to behave, on bends i am ok with it considering its radar based scanning so it may scan left lane however on absolutely straight road also it just scans the left car and breaks it.

it was very frustrating when left lane car slowed down to take exit and mine straight hit the break and took me from 70 to 56 where as my middle lane was absolutely fine to go even above 70....

3 minutes ago, Viral said:

i am a little bit confused with this - in UK it is right hand drive so does the travel mode needs to be chosen as LEFT ?

Which side of the road do we travel on? :)

Which side is/was yours set to? 

Edited by penguin17

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

Which side of the road do we travel on? :)

Which side is/was yours set to? 

:biggrin: - obviously i am not driving wrong side on motorway at the speed of 70 but yes I believe this could be the reason it is scanning the left lane.... It is set to right.... and i think you are right - it needs to be changed to left as thats my travel side and not the driving side.

i will change it to left and take another ride on motorway to see how it behaves....

• Like 1

It is a normal feature of the ACC to slow down to match the speed of a vehicle in right lane for RHD, and left lane for LHD.

It's a stupid law thingy. Sh1tty and annoying feature of the ACC.

It's there in the manual too.

U can override it by tapping the accelerator so it ignores the car.

Sadly u gotta do this each time u approach a slow moving car in the adjacent lane.

Screenshot_20180618-190432.thumb.png.24ee81a20973c4711200cd057b013713.png

Edited by JR RS

5 hours ago, Viral said:

Thats what i would expect it to behave, on bends i am ok with it considering its radar based scanning so it may scan left lane however on absolutely straight road also it just scans the left car and breaks it.

it was very frustrating when left lane car slowed down to take exit and mine straight hit the break and took me from 70 to 56 where as my middle lane was absolutely fine to go even above 70....

There are a couple of places on the A38 where I drive that it always gets “wrong” – a car will move over to left slip lane and slow down fast for a sharp exit bend and my car behaves as if it thinks the car is still in front and brakes as well. I now give the accelerator a short tap to stop it braking if I feel it starting to. 

But what you describe sounds like it is applying the “no undertaking” rule to the wrong side of the car. It should not have any hesitation overtaking cars in lanes to the left of you under normal circumstances. Hence I guess the question about whether it has the wrong drive side setting (incidentally, when this is active, it warns you on the maxidot display when you switch the ignition on, that the lights are being adjusted for driving on the opposite side of the road). 

Edited by Ivan8192
Braking, not breaking!

1 hour ago, Speedman said:

The 'no undertaking' part of the ACC can also be overridden by briefly pulling the ACC stalk towards you.

If I remember to do it, that will be useful when cars are leaving the motorway. 

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

It is a normal feature of the ACC to slow down to match the speed of a vehicle in right lane for RHD, and left lane for LHD.

It's a stupid law thingy. Sh1tty and annoying feature of the ACC.

It's there in the manual too.

U can override it by tapping the accelerator so it ignores the car.

Sadly u gotta do this each time u approach a slow moving car in the adjacent lane.

Screenshot_20180618-190432.thumb.png.24ee81a20973c4711200cd057b013713.png

Agreed - I was hitting accelerator to bypass the car but there are far too many times I had to do that and eventually turned off the ACC as no point of hitting the pedal every 10 seconds..

1 hour ago, Ivan8192 said:

There are a couple of places on the A38 where I drive that it always gets “wrong” – a car will move over to left slip lane and slow down fast for a sharp exit bend and my car behaves as if it thinks the car is still in front and brakes as well. I now give the accelerator a short tap to stop it breaking if I feel it starting to. 

But what you describe sounds like it is applying the “no undertaking” rule to the wrong side of the car. It should not have any hesitation overtaking cars in lanes to the left of you under normal circumstances. Hence I guess the question about whether it has the wrong drive side setting (incidentally, when this is active, it warns you on the maxidot display when you switch the ignition on, that the lights are being adjusted for driving on the opposite side of the road). 

Yes, thats what the suspect it - I will double check today evening of "driving side" setting and make sure its not set to "driver side" but the "driving side" and give it another go to m3

4 minutes ago, freelunch said:

If I remember to do it, that will be useful when cars are leaving the motorway. 

Thats a good tip... Thanks, i will try this one too.... Switching from Japanese to German is radical shift in car handling and electronics controls so still learning quite a few things with these new systems as coming from Nissan/Honda to Skoda.

Daft related question. Been using ACC quite a bit but have not got the accelerator to stop it slowing down/ignoring someone turning/moving in and out of lane (or even just accelerate as a different speed).  Now I have to say I have been very light footed so the question is how far do you have to press to get it to override the ACC?   

Would be nice to know as the other day, on a dual carriageway, the car in front did a fast brake and quick left turn, ACC braked (fine) but a bit too much and I nearly stopped, and the lorry behind had a bit of a fit in stopping...opps. I did accelerate but not a lot happened (probably too little again and not expecting it to work), so quickly cancelled ACC and shot off :) All fine...

I will experiment on the way home later, slow ACC set speed and push that accelerator.

1 hour ago, BenSh said:

Daft related question. Been using ACC quite a bit but have not got the accelerator to stop it slowing down/ignoring someone turning/moving in and out of lane (or even just accelerate as a different speed).  Now I have to say I have been very light footed so the question is how far do you have to press to get it to override the ACC?   

Would be nice to know as the other day, on a dual carriageway, the car in front did a fast brake and quick left turn, ACC braked (fine) but a bit too much and I nearly stopped, and the lorry behind had a bit of a fit in stopping...opps. I did accelerate but not a lot happened (probably too little again and not expecting it to work), so quickly cancelled ACC and shot off :) All fine...

I will experiment on the way home later, slow ACC set speed and push that accelerator.

During an emergency breaking, you have to push accelerator pretty hard to override the ACC. Slight tap on break and then accelerating is the best solution for such occasions. 

But in normal drive, you only have to slightly press the accelerator and you are good to go. It is not even noticable. 

22 hours ago, Viral said:

:biggrin: - obviously i am not driving wrong side on motorway at the speed of 70 but yes I believe this could be the reason it is scanning the left lane.... It is set to right.... and i think you are right - it needs to be changed to left as thats my travel side and not the driving side.

i will change it to left and take another ride on motorway to see how it behaves....

The only setting I found to change "left" or "right" is under lights section of car setup... Attached picture ---

can you/anyone confirm if this is the one needs to be changed? or I am missing something obvious here?

Capture.JPG

15 hours ago, alf.onso said:

During an emergency breaking, you have to push accelerator pretty hard to override the ACC. Slight tap on break and then accelerating is the best solution for such occasions. 

But in normal drive, you only have to slightly press the accelerator and you are good to go. It is not even noticable. 

In Normal ACC mode as well i have to press accelerator at least half way to override.... surely thats not how it should be...

16 hours ago, BenSh said:

My experience is you need to push it at least half way to override ACC breaking

5 minutes ago, Viral said:

The only setting I found to change "left" or "right" is under lights section of car setup... Attached picture ---

can you/anyone confirm if this is the one needs to be changed? or I am missing something obvious here?

Capture.JPG

That’s the one. 

1 minute ago, Ivan8192 said:

That’s the one. 

Ok, well then it was set to left-hand traffic till now - now i have changed it to right-hand traffic.

BUT - same behavior... :crying:

It should be on left hand traffic.

So, to clarify, you car will not perform an OVERTAKE manoeuvre, e.g. when on a dual carriageway or motorway, when on ACC without you having to intervene to make it go past the car in the lane to your left?

2 minutes ago, Viral said:

Ok, well then it was set to left-hand traffic till now - now i have changed it to right-hand traffic.

BUT - same behavior... :crying:

Erm, don't you guys have left hand traffic in the UK ..... ? If so, why would you switch it to right-hand?

But about ACC, I don't recall needing to push the accelerator too far. Will try today:D

7 minutes ago, Ivan8192 said:

It should be on left hand traffic.

So, to clarify, you car will not perform an OVERTAKE manoeuvre, e.g. when on a dual carriageway or motorway, when on ACC without you having to intervene to make it go past the car in the lane to your left?

Thats pretty much correct statement...

5 minutes ago, alf.onso said:

Erm, don't you guys have left hand traffic in the UK ..... ? If so, why would you switch it to right-hand?

But about ACC, I don't recall needing to push the accelerator too far. Will try today:D

Yes, it is left hand traffic in UK and so the setting was set to Left Hand however just to test if any different it makes or not - i changed it to right hand traffic - but nope - it still dont overtake the car on left lane on motorway or dual carriage way.