My new TDi 150 SE

i'e just taken  delivery of a 2.0 TDi SE 150 on lease. As this is my fourth consecutive Superb with barel l a second's problem previously I didn't bother checking the small print of the spec, just went for the best deal. And I have to say I'm not happy. I don't like the trim, the manual seat adjustment seems cheap, I really don't like the computer screen, there's only one key (the lease company say Skoda sometimes post the second one on; i'll be pleasantly surprised if that happens without lengthy wrangling) and most gob-smackingly of all there's no sat nav. A 24 grand car with no sat nav - it's such a basic thing now that it never occurred to me to check that it would be included. Is this right, or have I been in some way shafted? Either way, for the first time ever I'm very disappointed in Skoda. 

I would never go back to conventional satnav after switching to Android Auto and waze. It's saved me a huge amount of time with instant crowdsourced traffic info and very helpful wazers also point out mobile “safety” cameras and other such hazards ;)

I would happily buy a cheap android handset and a £6 per month PlusNet sim if I didn’t already use an android mobile... give it a try :thumbup:

• Like 4

I totally agree with @Alan_P, satnav is sooooo 90-s and IMHO obsolete. Waze gives you much more up to date data and realtime traffic info it gives is just priceless.

I would never want to go back to conventional satnav again. And soon Waze will be availabe on CarPlay tooo!!!!!B)B)B)

• Like 2

Sorry you feel like it’s a rough deal, Dave, and preferences can be very personal.

Have to say I love the tablet-style screen in the latest models and I’d never rely on built in satnav - Google Maps, Wayz etc are way better. As an iPhone user, I’m currently stuck with Apple Maps through CarPlay, but it’s been fine so far and the next iOS update of CarPlay will enable Google Maps and other third party map apps.

I don’t regret going for an SE at all.

• Like 1

Ah, well.  The satnav issue is typical of a tendency that's a particular bugbear of mine; you get something functional that works perfectly well and there's the option to upgrade if you prefer, then it gets changed so you either have nothing, or can pay for a state of the art gizmo which will do much more than you ever need. Removing CD players was the same - I don't want to download, I want to play the music I've bought in a way I'm happy with.  I've never got the hang of downloading or syncing or whatever the current phrase is and I don't like using my phone to do anything except the job it's intended for. The whole thing seems to go against the very ethos of Skoda and to be honest if I'd known about it - and I'm still amazed that the issue wasn't brought up in any review I saw - I would probably have looked elsewhere. 

After driving for the first time, most of the other stuff is a pain as well. I still don't like the screen, the seat adjustment that worked well before has been replaced by a cheap-feeling handle and the whole plastic area around the seat lets down the feel of the car - it was always a bit of a weak spot but now it looks cheap and flimsy. The trim also seems cheap and not as hard-wearing as previously. 

On a positive note. the seats are better, my wife likes the suspension and the roadholding is the best since my old, unreliable, but to wonderful to drive Saab.  And as I'm stuck with it for three years I'll take whatever positives I can. 

Edited by davejay

Did the Mk II Superb SE have satnav as standard? Anyway, it’s just my opinion, but I think it was a little reckless not to see the car in the flesh and to confirm the spec etc… especially if the issues would have been a deal breaker. I’m sure it’s comforting to hear my views :D

Dropping dvd/cd players and offering carplay/android auto seems to be the norm for most manufacturers these days so I’m not sure you would have much joy with another make. I understand you’re not up for change, but give waze or google maps a try... it’s a free upgrade. No map updates or subscriptions and it’s very intuitive to use… you can even use voice commands if you don’t like the touchscreen.

It’s great you like the suspension and seats though… seems to be a problem for quite a lot of people on here so that’s a plus. Did you get Pirelli P7 or Bridgestone Potenza tyres?

i’m no technophile, but I find the Apple Carplay system a doddle - click one button and just tell it to do stuff via Siri: “navigate to...” etc.

I just don’t get how manually plotting address info into a manufacturer touchscreen mapping system is supposed to be better. Sure, Siri isnt perfect, but it’s getting there & even Apple Maps (which is about to be comprehensively rebuilt, by the way) is better than most manufacturer systems. Your only challenge is using mobile data, but that’s cheaper than the price you effectively pay for manufacturer satnav.

Each to their own, but I still say the Superb is the best value Passat out there...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davejay said:

Ah, well.  The satnav issue is typical of a tendency that's a particular bugbear of mine; you get something functional that works perfectly well and there's the option to upgrade if you prefer, then it gets changed so you either have nothing, or can pay for a state of the art gizmo which will do much more than you ever need. Removing CD players was the same - I don't want to download, I want to play the music I've bought in a way I'm happy with.  I've never got the hang of downloading or syncing or whatever the current phrase is and I don't like using my phone to do anything except the job it's intended for. The whole thing seems to go against the very ethos of Skoda and to be honest if I'd known about it - and I'm still amazed that the issue wasn't brought up in any review I saw - I would probably have looked elsewhere. 

After driving for the first time, most of the other stuff is a pain as well. I still don't like the screen, the seat adjustment that worked well before has been replaced by a cheap-feeling handle and the whole plastic area around the seat lets down the feel of the car - it was always a bit of a weak spot but now it looks cheap and flimsy. The trim also seems cheap and not as hard-wearing as previously. 

On a positive note. the seats are better, my wife likes the suspension and the roadholding is the best since my old, unreliable, but to wonderful to drive Saab.  And as I'm stuck with it for three years I'll take whatever positives I can. 

Sorry to hear you're not a happy man, but what you're describing is the same evolution we've seen for decades. Satnav was introduced and killed the A-Z, and then standalone units were all-but replaced with online phone-based services. Tape players were made obsolete by the CD and CDs were largely replaced by streaming services. Time and progress marches on I'm afraid, and we get used to it - just like I did when I looked in horror at the electronic parking brake for the first time. Now I don't give it a second thought.

Yes, you should have checked the spec for things you couldn't live without. But with the best will in the world there's not much we can do as things move on and become obsolete.

Hope you enjoy the other aspects of the car in time - it's a lovely beast!

@davejay, I totally understand what you say about Superb not having CD player anymore. That was one thing I didn't check before buying mine and was surprised after opening the glove box. Not that I use CD-s much anymore but I had some kids language learning CD-s that they used to listen while driving. 

I am something that some people call an audiophile (others say a nutcase) and I have moved away from CD in every way. Only CD-s I still listen these days are Super Audio CD-s but all other music comes from streaming. At the beginning  it felt very odd to give up on CD-s that I had bought but looking back I have no regrets whatsoever. And in my car I listen music only via streaming (Spotify there). And when I don't mind a slight loss in quality, I use bluetooth and it is crazy simple and comfortable. I sit in my car, press MEDIA button, then PLAY and I am good to go. And if I have stopped my car and came back to it, the music starts automatically from the very spot that it was interrupted.

And when I connect my phone via CarPlay, I have all controls over my music and playlist. I never have to search wanted CD from my armrest (thats were I used to have my CD-s) ever again because I have all the music in the world at the tip of my finger. And soon you can have FLAC files from the most of the streaming providers so the music quality will actually be better than CD-s have. 

• Like 1

It's frustrating not to get what you were expecting (and the moral of course is to check the spec as they change so often). FYI my L&K has a cd player but it is completely unusable (it's in the glove compartment and cannot safely be reached by the driver when driving). I don't do streaming / downloading either, so with some trepidation I downloaded (yeah, I know...) Exact Audio Copy. Google it (yeah I know - again...). It's a dead easy, once-only job. All your cd's available all the time and better quality sound than the cd's themselves (flac). And I'm a technophobe. 

I agree on the seat adjustment handle, but once you've set it up will you ever use it again? And whether we like it or not, satnav via mobile is (like adblue on TDI) just the way it is going. Faced with a 24Gb download to get the "latest" (6 month old) maps on my built-in satnav, I'm going to check out the online services before I go down that road.

Don't forget to enjoy the new motor!:biggrin:

• 1 month later...

I finally got the second key and with it, after a bit of wrangling, a gratis Amundsen SD card. Now, can someone explain to a total computer illiterate who just about managed to get the card out of the box what I do now, preferably as if speaking to your octogenarian grandmother who's just asked you how what this downloading thing means an d can she get the Archers on it?

Edited by davejay

24 grand for Superb seems cheap to me. I paid 37.000 and I still have no SAT nav as standard. Also the 24grand mark my mother paid for basic octavia 4 years ago. I can see UK has much better deals with Skoda's, but still 24 grand is not much for a car these days.

P.S.: As others mentioned Android Auto/Car Play and Mirror link are awesome alternatives.

Edited by JackySi

17 hours ago, JackySi said:

24 grand for Superb seems cheap to me. I paid 37.000 and I still have no SAT nav as standard. Also the 24grand mark my mother paid for basic octavia 4 years ago. I can see UK has much better deals with Skoda's, but still 24 grand is not much for a car these days.

P.S.: As others mentioned Android Auto/Car Play and Mirror link are awesome alternatives.

U paid a lot :blush:

20 hours ago, davejay said:

I finally got the second key and with it, after a bit of wrangling, a gratis Amundsen SD card. Now, can someone explain to a total computer illiterate who just about managed to get the card out of the box what I do now, preferably as if speaking to your octogenarian grandmother who's just asked you how what this downloading thing means an d can she get the Archers on it?

You can only use the SD card, if the car has Amundsen satnav (does the screen have a "NAV" button?)

If so, open the glove box and insert the SD card in the slot marked "SD 1". Press "NAV", and you´re good to go.

Sounds like most of you haven´t tried the latest Amundsen with online Google trafic? Haven´t used CarPlay since I got my new Superb with that (Amundsen+Carstick LTE).

I'm going on the assumption you didn't check the car spec before you leased it or perhaps went to a showroom to look at one?

Sat-nav has never been standard on the Mk3

14 minutes ago, GaSelle said:

You can only use the SD card, if the car has Amundsen satnav (does the screen have a "NAV" button?)

If so, open the glove box and insert the SD card in the slot marked "SD 1". Press "NAV", and you´re good to go.

Sounds like most of you haven´t tried the latest Amundsen with online Google trafic? Haven´t used CarPlay since I got my new Superb with that (Amundsen+Carstick LTE).

It doesn't have the NAV  button so it seems that Skoda have kindly, but pointlessly, sent me a useless SD card. As I said in my earlier posts, it was my own fault for not checking, and assuming that a Superb like my previous one would have the same spec.  You live and learn even if you do get annoyed at the assumption that everyone now wants downloads and Bluetooth and the like instead of physical product that you don't have to pay a premium for.  

This, the niggles I mentioned previously and a very annoying rattle that develops at around 35 mph in fourth (approx 12-1500 rpm - does anyone else have the problem and if not, is it something i should get checked out?) all add up to my first disappointing Skoda experience  and a nagging, if traitorous, feeling that I should have had a look around at other options rather than just going for the same again.  

Seems like most of the ratteles I´ve read about in here has been in diesel models; I´m on my second TSI now, and they´ve both been silent.

22 minutes ago, davejay said:

It doesn't have the NAV  button so it seems that Skoda have kindly, but pointlessly, sent me a useless SD card. As I said in my earlier posts, it was my own fault for not checking, and assuming that a Superb like my previous one would have the same spec.  You live and learn even if you do get annoyed at the assumption that everyone now wants downloads and Bluetooth and the like instead of physical product that you don't have to pay a premium for.  

This, the niggles I mentioned previously and a very annoying rattle that develops at around 35 mph in fourth (approx 12-1500 rpm - does anyone else have the problem and if not, is it something i should get checked out?) all add up to my first disappointing Skoda experience  and a nagging, if traitorous, feeling that I should have had a look around at other options rather than just going for the same again.  

Its probably something lose, I would get it checked out. If you have warranty and the dealer doesn't tell you its normal, its good. Here in Slovenia most of my issues got rejected by being normal. Trust me this is my last Superb no matter how much I love it. Cause I do love it, apart from DIY stuff I had to fix. Even the common issues with wishbone noise and hydraulic bearing knocking sound I had to get fixed on my own expense. As I said, last Skoda, ever. Next is 100% Mercedes or Audi. Used but heck I'm 100% sure It wont have as many issues as I had to fix.

New Superb or 6-8 year old A6/E-class with +200.000 km and basic equipment? (DK prices) That´s a tough decision :D:D:D 

20 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

you will :)

Sincerely doubt, its not about fixing issues its about getting refused rattles that should not be there. On brands like Audi / BMW / Mercedes no one will tell you that wishbone rattle (sounds like whole suspension is going lose) is NORMAL. When I was buying Superb I expected issues. But I expected them to be resolved. Not to be left with 37.000€ car and told that's normal... **** that.

15 minutes ago, GaSelle said:

New Superb or 6-8 year old A6/E-class with +200.000 km and basic equipment? (DK prices) That´s a tough decision :D:D:D 

U get 1 - 2 years old A6 for 36.0000€ here... Or E220 1-2 years old 50-80.000km 
E.g.: Audi A6 - January 2017 - 17.xxxkm = https://www.avto.net/ad.asp?id=13358590 - 
E220d March 2017- 51.xxxx km = https://www.avto.net/ad.asp?id=13316870

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

Just now, JackySi said:

Sincerely doubt, its not about fixing issues its about getting refused rattles that should not be there. On brands like Audi / BMW / Mercedes no one will tell you that wishbone rattle (sounds like whole suspension is going lose) is NORMAL. When I was buying Superb I expected issues. But I expected them to be resolved. Not to be left with 37.000€ car and told that's normal... **** that.

I'm just saying dont' expect Audi or Mercedes to be any better, trust me. If you go on any forum like this for Audi or Mercedes you  will find exactly the same complaints!

As mentioned, the picture is different in DK due to taxes.

But, buy whatever makes you feel good. Had a new E220d as a rental a few weeks ago in the UK. There is absolutely nothing premium about that (to me!), especially not the plastic seats.

I think it´s sad that you´re let down by a poor service organization. All cars have issues, but there is many different ways to solve them.