Smartlink Activation Skoda Yeti 2016

ZackyD

Hi Guys & Girls,

Great news, I picked up my 2016 MY16 Skoda Yeti Active 81TSI.

In love with the car, So much room and a great drive. 

To give you insight, I am from Australia but I presume most of the info I'm asking for help with will be the same around the world.

My car comes with a Amundsen head unit which I believe is MIB 2?

Unfortunately the original owner didn't option the car with the tech pack which includes App Connect (Android Auto & Apple Carplay)

I heard it was possible for people to purchase an activation key and the dealer can activate this?

Funny thing is, Skoda Australia apparently don't know anything about this as they said unless it was done pre-purchase it's impossible to have.

Well I found a Dutch site that sells it but no idea if this is compatible - https://shop.skoda.nl/auto-accessoires/car-electronics/connectivity/000054830A-smartlink?cid=13

Can anyone makes suggestions on how i can enable Smartlink? I'd be happy to pay and compensate you if I can get this working. :)

See attached images.

Thanks All

20180705_220931.jpg

20180705_220950.jpg

20180705_220956.jpg

Pre June 2015 Amundsen II only had the option of Mirrorlink and that could not be done post build but post May 2015 had the option of Smartlink and that can be done by the dealer at any time.

It has to be programmed at the dealer with an activation code from Skoda

For some reason Aus/NZ seem to be different with the infotainment systems especially with how firmware, maps and activations are concerned.

I'd ring around a few dealers and see if anyone can help.

Lee 

Thanks so much Lee. It would seem pretty unusual if there wasn't a way to have it activated.

As I said, More than happy to cover cost and time to get this done. You'd also have my eternal gratitude. Haha

I use Android Auto a lot on my brothers car and it's become such an important part of my driving that I'm tempted to splash the cash on an aftermarket unit but I would rather keep the Skoda head unit as it integrates with the dash seamlessly and the reverse camaras & sensors are all part of the system.

Great car but wished the original owner didn't cheapen out on the tech pack. ;)

Edited by ZackyD

You need the activation key which the dealer will have to activate. (& can only be used once.)

I have an unused one here which I plan to have activated at the next service. :-)

Pic with part number attached.

This item was listed as an available option on one of the AU brochures.

IMG_8622.JPG

IMG_8623.JPG

Edited by spiz
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spiz said:

You need the activation key which the dealer will have to activate. (& can only be used once.)

I have an unused one here which I plan to have activated at the next service. :-)

Pic with part number attached.

This item was listed as an available option on one of the AU brochures.

IMG_8622.JPG

IMG_8623.JPG

SPIZ you sir are truly a gentleman and scholar. :)

I've been going back and forth with Skoda Australia.

Do you mind if I ask you roughly how much you purchased the activation key for?

I got the below reply when I messaged Skoda which doesn't make sense. If I had Smartlink as an option and it's asking me for the activation code, Clearly my infotainment system is configured to run Smartlink, No?

Hi Zac, I have confirmed that whilst this activation key is available for purchase from our ŠKODA Dealers, unfortunately it is not compatible with your vehicle, as your vehicles’ infotainment system does not support this feature. Regards, Samara@ŠKODA

30 minutes ago, ZackyD said:

Do you mind if I ask you roughly how much you purchased the activation key for?

I got the below reply when I messaged Skoda which doesn't make sense. If I had Smartlink as an option and it's asking me for the activation code, Clearly my infotainment system is configured to run Smartlink, No?

Hi Zac, I have confirmed that whilst this activation key is available for purchase from our ŠKODA Dealers, unfortunately it is not compatible with your vehicle, as your vehicles’ infotainment system does not support this feature. Regards, Samara@ŠKODA

Paid around 200euro last year. At the time the dealer had no idea, so bought it myself as part of a larger order of Skoda parts. (we own more than one Skoda.)

For AU some Yeti versions had Smartlink activated as default, others had the activation as part of the Tech Pack. (listed as a value of $250 in the tech pack.)

My service is due next month & will be asking to dealer to activate at that time. I'll report back if successful or not. Maybe wait till then for a definitive answer.....

Cheers

Thanks mate, Really appreciate the update. It's my first Skoda and love everything about it. 

Having this work would be the icing on the cake.

I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed all goes well with your service activation. 

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Spiz, Mind if I ask you were you managed to order the activation key from please? 

I'll hold out for now but I'm fairly positive your's will work fine as I got the below reply back from my dealer;

I believe $628 is way too expensive so the import option seems better. The part number they mentioned also seems to be linked to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skoda-Voice-activation-Bolero-000054802/dp/B07C8L4XVB wheras mine is an Amundsen head unit.

Hi Zac,

Sorry for the delay in getting an answer for you. We had to ask technical and had to look up a few things.

Technical have advised that yes, you can unlock the App connect. I have quoted it through the spare parts department and they have advised that the activation key is $628.32 but it is currently showing as a back order part for the availability.

If you were wanting to proceed with the job, you would have to contact our parts department and order/pay through there. The part number for the activation key is D*000054802. Once our parts department have received it, they will give you a call and advise it is in and we would need to book the vehicle in to carry out the unlock.

Again, sorry for the wait! Just not a common question, but thank you for the challenge J

Kind regards,

Kristi McKay | Service Advisor

www.nepeanmotorgroup.com.au

T. 02 4724 5577 | F. 02 4724 5566 | E. [email protected]

A. 2128 – 2140 Castlereagh Road, Penrith 2750

cid:image001.png@01D06ACC.DF862ED0

2 hours ago, ZackyD said:

Hi Spiz, Mind if I ask you were you managed to order the activation key from please? 

I'll hold out for now but I'm fairly positive your's will work fine as I got the below reply back from my dealer;

I believe $628 is way too expensive so the import option seems better. The part number they mentioned also seems to be linked to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skoda-Voice-activation-Bolero-000054802/dp/B07C8L4XVB wheras mine is an Amundsen head unit.

Hi Zac,

Sorry for the delay in getting an answer for you. We had to ask technical and had to look up a few things.

Technical have advised that yes, you can unlock the App connect. I have quoted it through the spare parts department and they have advised that the activation key is $628.32 but it is currently showing as a back order part for the availability.

If you were wanting to proceed with the job, you would have to contact our parts department and order/pay through there. The part number for the activation key is D*000054802. Once our parts department have received it, they will give you a call and advise it is in and we would need to book the vehicle in to carry out the unlock.

That part number is a different unit and for voice activation, not app activation.

Ask for a quote on the 000 054 830A. And if the price includes labour to do it.

I'll check where mine came from & let you know.

• 5 weeks later...
On 07/07/2018 at 11:12, ZackyD said:

Thanks mate, Really appreciate the update. It's my first Skoda and love everything about it. 

Having this work would be the icing on the cake.

I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed all goes well with your service activation. 

Thanks again!

Smartlink was activated on my Yeti Amundsen today using the 000 054 830A item pictured above.

All good!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Smartlink installed on my Yeti today. Interesting episode with a main Skoda dealer on payment. While waiting for car I picked up a leaflet in customer waiting area advertising smartlink installation for fixed price of £137. My invoice came to £150 so I drew their attention to the leaflets in their waiting area. A grumpy manager said they were not part of that scheme but as a one time only they would comply with that price. Glowered at me when I suggested if one time only then they better remove all the leaflets from their waiting area. V. Pleased with the smartlink - now with google maps incorporated on iOS CarPlay.

• 8 months later...

Argh. Just driven home our new to us 2017 Yeti L&K and realised  Smartlink isn't enabled so I can't use Android Auto. Did 2017 Yetis not some with it as standard? Never had to worry about this on my 2017 Octy (probably MY18 I guess) 

59 minutes ago, juan27 said:

Argh. Just driven home our new to us 2017 Yeti L&K and realised  Smartlink isn't enabled so I can't use Android Auto. Did 2017 Yetis not some with it as standard? Never had to worry about this on my 2017 Octy (probably MY18 I guess) 

No, was never a standard "fitment".

58 minutes ago, juan27 said:

No Yeti comes as standard with it, about a £150 option on all that are able to run it.
Did you buy the Octavia new?

30 minutes ago, Urrell said:

No Yeti comes as standard with it, about a £150 option on all that are able to run it.
Did you buy the Octavia new?

Yes I bought the Octavia new.  I don't think you can buy a (new) VW group car now where you have to to pay for Android Auto. 

Anyway love the car and if the activation of Smartlink is the only niggle I find I'm not complaining, just surprised.

Edited by juan27

Did the game ever move one from having to go to the dealers for this? I'm not trying to avoid paying for the code, just don't rally want the faff on of going to the dealer for someone just to enter the activation code. 

Also I just rang my usually knowledgeable service department and  he had no idea how much this cost or how long it would take which doesn't bode well....from reading about this it looks as though dealers and owners went from mass confusion in MY16 to it just not being an issue any more as all Skoda cars effectively got it as standard a year or two later and so there's still no guarantee dealers they know what they're doing.

I see there are genuine (looking) code packs on ebay, but how do you apply one?  (I have VCDS) 

Sorry if this is all well documented on here but all I can find is mostly discussions about why would you want it, do I have it etc.   

Edited by juan27

I don't think anyone has found a legal and safe way of activating this other than through the dealership.
Any "methods" or codes on the likes of Ebay are going to be illegally pirated copies that potentially could (expensively) damage your car, and you are probably providing money for criminals.

51 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

I don't think anyone has found a legal and safe way of activating this other than through the dealership.
Any "methods" or codes on the likes of Ebay are going to be illegally pirated copies that potentially could (expensively) damage your car, and you are probably providing money for criminals.

OK as I said I've no desire to bend the law on this.   

The ebay stuff looked like proper Skoda (correct part number) but years ago I bought a genuine copy of Windows off ebay which turned out to have a key that had already been used.  So it doesn't have to be organised crime just a dodgy mechanic lifting "used" packs out the skip.  In any case its much the same price as I've seen talked about on here, so not really much point unless you live in a market where the part isn't officially available. 

So dealer it is, but my local Skoda dealer hasn't come back to me after me calling  with my very simple questions a couple of hours ago so that really doesn't fill me with great confidence. 

Edited by juan27

Just had mine activated today - £145...
What I hadn't realised is that the 'phone has to be plugged into the USB socket in order for it to work - I was expecting it to be Bluetooth based rather than cable, which is annoying 😒
Also hanging around the dealership for 2 hours was less than fun...

Edited by mustrum

4 hours ago, mustrum said:

Just had mine activated today - £145...
What I hadn't realised is that the 'phone has to be plugged into the USB socket in order for it to work - I was expecting it to be Bluetooth based rather than cable, which is annoying 😒
Also hanging around the dealership for 2 hours was less than fun...

Not sure if any system works solely through Bluetooth. By connecting the phone via USB the phone is controlled by Smartlink Android Auto via the car display, although many items are disabled due to “safety”. Basically you can use mapping software, phone and music but not a lot else! Mind you the sat nav systems available on your smartphone are easily a match/superior to the in car satnav.