wheel centre caps

50 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

Wish I could say that was the case, but I had the car from new and never had the wheels off the car in the 2 years I owned it. 

Seemed to be a common thing from what I could see.

Next time you are at the dealers just have a look at their stock. EVERY single one will have the same problem. Its not us owners, its them skinflints pinching pennies on production

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

Next time you are at the dealers just have a look at their stock. EVERY single one will have the same problem. Its not us owners, its them skinflints pinching pennies on production

Yup. I get mine on PCH leases so whilst they have guidelines, things like this could result in a repair bill when the issue is closer to home.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/01/2019 at 15:49, ScoutCJB said:

Quite often the tyre places dont have the relevant cap removal tool and so result to pliers :@

Hmmmmmmmm they might not have the special tool, but they have the perfect alternative in the shape of the wheel balancing equipment. When they offer the wheel over the spindle to balance the new tyre, that knocks the centre cap off nice and clean every time. So if you're local tyre place is using a pair of grips or the wrong tool, find another one or have a polite word in their lugoil :thumbup:

And how exactly will they have fitted the new tyre without already having removed the centre cap? :blink:

22 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And how exactly will they have fitted the new tyre without already having removed the centre cap? :blink:

I've watched it done before, not got time to explain in full now , I should be working :blush but I guess equipment variations and techniques could be a factor for some places.

16 minutes ago, CWARD said:

ScoutCJB was referring to the wheel nut covers not the centre caps. You need to read his next post. 

I took it to be the centre caps he was referring to. I stand corrected if not. :blush:

Actually, on reflection you are right!

Oh dear, these replys are all out of order, my repsonse was to Stonker who was definitely talking about the centre caps, and he is right in his reply to me, they dont need to remove the centre caps to grip the wheel on the tyre changing machine, I have to on my manual one.

Completely unrelated but one of our supermarkets Leclerc have a promo going on garage equipment (go figure!) instead of 99P spanners made of cheese they are selling pro German make workshop equipment including delivery, the prices seemed very cheap to me but maybe I am out of date.

A pro tyre changing machine, electric and pneumatic just like in any tyre shop for €935 = £820 including delivery and TVA (VAT) and the computerised wheel balancing machine again exactly as you see in any tyre workshop for €785 = £688 again delivered including VAT.

Dont see that often in Tescos do you!!!

Edited by J.R.
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Hmmmmmmmm they might not have the special tool, but they have the perfect alternative in the shape of the wheel balancing equipment. When they offer the wheel over the spindle to balance the new tyre, that knocks the centre cap off nice and clean every time. So if you're local tyre place is using a pair of grips or the wrong tool, find another one or have a polite word in their lugoil :thumbup:

Yes I meant the wheel bolt plastic caps, not centre caps

Edited by ScoutCJB

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Actually, on reflection you are right!

Oh dear, these replys are all out of order, my repsonse was to Stonker who was definitely talking about the centre caps, and he is right in his reply to me, they dont need to remove the centre caps to grip the wheel on the tyre changing machine, I have to on my manual one.

Completely unrelated but one of our supermarkets Leclerc have a promo going on garage equipment (go figure!) instead of 99P spanners made of cheese they are selling pro German make workshop equipment including delivery, the prices seemed very cheap to me but maybe I am out of date.

A pro tyre changing machine, electric and pneumatic just like in any tyre shop for €935 = £820 including delivery and TVA (VAT) and the computerised wheel balancing machine again exactly as you see in any tyre workshop for €785 = £688 again delivered including VAT.

Dont see that often in Tescos do you!!!

No, you were right in the centre cap needs to come off,  it to change the tyre but to balance it afterwards as the wheel is mounted on the spindle which knocks out the centre cap. 

You can balance a wheel without taking the centre cap out. It is not common.

There is an adaptor for wheels without centre holes that use the wheel bolt holes instead.

Thanks AG Falco

PS Def. line up the centre caps with the valves. 

May be a bit of a dumb comment, but my MK1 Fabia VRS came with just a metal pick to take the caps off and they were fine, however the Octavia, had the same pick plus the tweezers. 

I stupidly thought the pick would work and ended up damaging a cap in the process until I realised the tweezers lol. 

Was the pick supplied for those unfortunate enough with plastic trims?

• 4 weeks later...