England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.

Ootohere

10 hours ago, roottoot said:

COP26 has been and gone so we start to that much was just talk before it.   

The largest Builders & Property Companies that are Government sponsors will have put their foot down.

https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/government-back-tracks-on-plans-for-electric-chargers-in-all-commercial-buildings-1371568

There are organisations like BP Pulse which is running adverts now on TV and you would think they are changing the face of EV charging in the UK but look at there charging network and it is not on the trunk road network, cannot see it being too helpful for my usage of journey charging.

More the right idea to me seems to be Gridserve's rollout of dedicated EV charging stations like Braintree which I am keen to see the Plymouth version of this with 32 charging bays (including six 22 kw AC ones that are great for Zoes)  

https://www.gridserve.com/plymouth/

Also with the proper scale fitting of Gridserve at Rugby with a done chargers rather than the odd ones and two that are at most even key motorway sites.

Le us hope 2022 sees the public charging station roll out gather pace but key is at the right places on those trunk roads and I would rather see two or three 50 kWh outlets, or maybe a 50,100 and 150 kWh, on a charging station rather than a single 350 kWh.  I still quite like 22 kWh AC outputs but I expect they will start to phase out but then good to see six of these bays at the Plymouth Gridserve site.  They sometimes have a 4 hour period before they starting charging overstay fees so I could go on charge there, watch the Green Army PAFC and come back after the match, heaven.    

7 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Also with the proper scale fitting of Gridserve at Rugby with a done chargers rather than the odd ones and two that are at most even key motorway sites.

Gridserve have announced a partnership with Dobbies garden centres to install high speed charging hubs in some of their garden centres. For me, this takes care of the A5 corridor where the current sites with Ecotricity chargers have not agreed to Gridserve replacing them. Gridserve seem to have a problem with Welcome Break services and Eurogarages forecourts replacing chargers - this has stymied improvement in N. wales (and other places) but the Dobbies deal fixes the problem on the A5. The A55 is still ******ed.

https://www.gridserve.com/2021/12/20/dobbies-garden-centres-rolls-out-ev-charging-with-gridserve/

• Like 1

Also, in terms of charging hubs, look out for Osprey expanding their network using Kempower load balancing chargers and the very latest Tritium load balancing chargers to create more hubs. Instavolt are now getting onto that bandwagen, with a full hub at Banbury about to open. Motor Fuel Group (MFG) are building electric forecourts and hubs, gaining a reputation for reliability into the bargain. They already have several in London, one in Birmingham, Manchester, M6 and 3 in Bristol. Shell have opened an electric forecourt in Putney. Gridserve's second electric forecourt, in Norwich is nearing completion and a third one will be built at Gatwick in 2022. 

There is lots happening in the charging space right now. I expect to see some winners and losers in the coming year.

Edited by Luckypants
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I expect Osprey will be trying / tendering to take over the running of Charge Place Scotland when the contract SWARCO has expires.

SWARCO's incompetence is unreal. 

They have all the excuses under the sun and seem to be able to spin how well they are doing. 

There are options between Transport Scotland & SWARCO on extensions of the contract.

Surely by the time that comes things have got better on the CPS network or SWARCO are out on their ear.

Only issue will be that by then the whole of the network will be e-Volt units and SWARCO / e-Volt have raked in millions anyway from the tax payers of Scotland / UK.

12 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

Also, in terms of charging hubs, look out for Osprey expanding their network using Kempower load balancing chargers and the very latest Tritium load balancing chargers to create more hubs. Instavolt are now getting onto that bandwagen, with a full hub at Banbury about to open. Motor Fuel Group (MFG) are building electric forecourts and hubs, gaining a reputation for reliability into the bargain. They already have several in London, one in Birmingham, Manchester, M6 and 3 in Bristol. Shell have opened an electric forecourt in Putney. Gridserve's second electric forecourt, in Norwich is nearing completion and a third one will be built at Gatwick in 2022. 

There is lots happening in the charging space right now. I expect to see some winners and losers in the coming year.

I am hoping for an AllStar Electric card with work which has ten of the charge point providers including Osprey but I wish they would add Gridserve or Instavolt. 

https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/our-cards/allstar-one-electric/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REDUCE RANGE ANXIETY

Allstar One Electric gives you access to a growing multi-brand network of over 5,000 charging points across 2,000 locations. To make things even easier our site locator and mobile app help drivers locate their nearest compatible charge point.

• 10 charge point providers: EB Charging, Mer, GeniePoint, Source London, Alfa Power, ESB Energy, Hubsta, Franklin LiFe, Osprey and Plug N Go
  • Get back on the road with access to 1,550 rapid chargers and over 3,300 fast chargers
  • Reduce range anxiety with UK-wide charging coverage
  • Range of pricing options for electric charging so you stay in control

17 minutes ago, roottoot said:

I expect Osprey will be trying / tendering to take over the running of Charge Place Scotland when the contract SWARCO has expires.

SWARCO's incompetence is unreal.

And, other than the stickers on the chargers, what do you think will actually change? After all, the present staff will all qualify for TUPE transfers.

• Like 1

Those staff / handling calls out of the old Michelin Factory in Dundee might stay,. and the AA call centre answering calls when they are not.

Maintenance Staff might stay.

The SWARCO Management / directors might be off and the IT lot.

the ones that are clearly incompetent and have all the excuses under the sun, heid yins on the big money.

Now since September i tell them weekly the Phone App has 2 chargers showing local to me in the wrong position and seeing as they have staff at them occasionally can they really not use GPS as well as the SIM in the charger to get them in the right place.

Public Money just thrown the way of some that are not held to account and in the end can swan off with their boots filled.

https://www.erticonetwork.com/swarco-to-operate-scotland-ev-charging-network/

I will send an Email yet again seeing as Broughty Ferry is 2 miles from them and 17 miles away from me, not 2 miles from me.

They might also move the one nearest to me on the map from the wrong position it shows and same users getting directed to totally the wrong place.

DSCN0631.JPG

DSCN0632.JPG

Screenshot 2021-12-29 14.12.06.jpg

Edited by roottoot

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2021 at 13:23, KenONeill said:

And, other than the stickers on the chargers, what do you think will actually change? After all, the present staff will all qualify for TUPE transfers.

Shut it down as a company and let everyone go, then sell the infrastructure as an asset to whichever company pays the public purse the most?

If you sell groups of a popular and a couple of less popular one and dish them out to multiple companies that’s even better.

Cruel, but it’d deal with TUPE if staff are really as bad as is being said. Essentially shut it down and asset strip it.

@cheezemonkhaiSorry the Charge Place Scotland posts are here wrongly posted by me.

You seem not to be aware of the system with CPS.

They own nothing.  there are 32 local authorities with Chargers & Charger Hubs and other owners / hosts that own hubs.

The Administration runs them, that was for BP who had the contract and they contracted that to SWARCO who were involved since 2011.

Then Transport Scotland put running CPS out for a new 'company' to run and SWARCO got that gig.

It so happens that SWARCO / e-Volt who manufacture chargers and maintain chargers also have the Maintenance contracts with the 32 Local Authorities & other hosts with e-Volt chargers. They are also the ones responsible for the warranty on e-Volt chargers where there is still a warranty.  

Millions and millions spent of public money all going pretty much one way and even if Swarco / e-Volt are not going to be the back office for CPS they are the main company responsible for charger maintenance, 

Transport Scotland and Charge Place Scotland really is a horlicks.   IMO a love in with SWARCO needs addresses. 

https://chargeplacescotland.org/about-us/

https://www.swarco.com/stories/swarco-operate-chargeplace-scotland

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

@cheezemonkhaiSorry the Charge Place Scotland posts are here wrongly posted by me.

You seem not to be aware of the system with CPS.

They own nothing.  there are 32 local authorities with Chargers & Charger Hubs and other owners / hosts that own hubs.

The Administration runs them, that was for BP who had the contract and they contracted that to SWARCO who were involved since 2011.

Then Transport Scotland put running CPS out for a new 'company' to run and SWARCO got that gig.

It so happens that SWARCO / e-Volt who manufacture chargers and maintain chargers also have the Maintenance contracts with the 32 Local Authorities & other hosts with e-Volt chargers. They are also the ones responsible for the warranty on e-Volt chargers where there is still a warranty.  

Millions and millions spent of public money all going pretty much one way and even if Swarco / e-Volt are not going to be the back office for CPS they are the main company responsible for charger maintenance, 

Transport Scotland and Charge Place Scotland really is a horlicks.   IMO a love in with SWARCO needs addresses. 

https://chargeplacescotland.org/about-us/

https://www.swarco.com/stories/swarco-operate-chargeplace-scotland

Ouch.

You are of course correct that I'm not aware with the system, however that sounds like a right mess.

With the above, I would probably then set up a central scottish API, to allow common payments/accounts etc, let the councils do their own maintainance agreements and installations and specify that to get central money/tax discounts then it must work with the interface. You'd probably get some competition, others replacing the broken chargers with their own so they can easily maintain them.

From what you're saying it sounds like the one company having everything and almost nothing to lose isn't working.

The 32 local authorities do their own deals.  Some of the earliest adopters have the oldest equipment which needs replaced and high maintenance.  These are far from the central belt or central Scotland.  Now the performance of these chargers is pathetic and Highland council are charging the highest price for the public charger use.     Now there are more EV,s on the road the commercial companies can put in charging and charge not much more than the public chargers are costing.   The thing is the prices are having to go up now on commercial chargers.      Time that the company has clearly on the vehicles if doing only work for SWARCO e-volt and on SWARCO business or actually doing CPS work under that contract.    Charge Place Scotland are clear they do not do maintenance but the company that is running Charge Place Scotland do have maintenance contracts with SWARCO..   when you report a fault to CPS that is SWARCO taking the call.  Then they let the host / owner know there is a fault.  That host let's the maintenance provider know an action is needed.   That is often SWARCO e-Volt.    The whole thing is a fiasco that Scottish politicians seem blind to.   Transport Scotland are selectively blind. 

EDIT.

That was another issue, no phone reception.

Many Charge Hubs or chargers in Scotland are where there is crap mobile phone reception.

(You might expect the surveyors & architects / contractors / clients would check before building work starts.)

You might need to walk about trying to make a call, log in and use an app to start a charge or get SWARCO to start a charge.

The chargers have sims in as well.  

Scotlands Mobile Phone network is rubbish as is digital radio reception. 

Not that Transport Scotland / Scottish Government seem that bothered as long as 'The majority' of the population are not affected by stuff like this that has been so for years now.  A great new technological age where rural areas can go get stuffed as far as the Government care.

Edited by roottoot

• 2 months later...

On the subject of hubs, Gridserve opened their new 350kW charging hub at Exeter services today. 12 (twelve) new chargers in addition to the 4 60kW chargers there already.

Gridserve recently opened a hub at Swansea services too. The Wetherby hub and Burton-in-Kendal hub almost ready by all accounts.

And although not in England, worth mentioning the Cross Hands hub that opened last weekend.

Edited by Luckypants
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/12/2021 at 12:47, Luckypants said:

Also, in terms of charging hubs, look out for Osprey expanding their network using Kempower load balancing chargers and the very latest Tritium load balancing chargers to create more hubs. Instavolt are now getting onto that bandwagen, with a full hub at Banbury about to open. 

Osprey hub in Wolverhampton and Banbury now open. Instavolt in Banbury now open.

Bunch of Instavolt chargers at Coventry Services Westbound, just a few yards from the shabby 2 Ecotricity ones with just the one CCS, 2 AC and 2 LEAF cons.

Now 15, 8 North, 7 South, mega DC chargers on that short but busy stretch between Catthorpe interchange and the M6/M6 toll road split and they join the sad little Ecotricity chargers.

Popular sometimes but was quite when I went past this afternoon.  15 Instavolts on the North and South combined to add to the couple of Ecotricity on each side.  All just using credit/debit cards.

50p per Kw for Instavolt on credit card, silly Ecotricity on an App that increasingly people are less likely to use despite lower price.

image.jpeg.75be9908f53680ec14ce9256379d7a47.jpeg 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Bunch of Instavolt chargers at Coventry Services Westbound, just a few yards from the shabby 2 Ecotricity ones with just the one CCS, 2 AC and 2 LEAF cons.

You mean Corley services? Both North and Southbound have 7/8 chargers but only 50kW each.

43 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

You mean Corley services? Both North and Southbound have 7/8 chargers but only 50kW each.

Yes Corley, keep wanting to call it Chorley for some reason and I know that is not right.  It is an old one, bit shabby.

50 kWh is fine for many of us, Zoe's only draw at 45 kWh at max ie 125 amps when they are about 360 volts and then they reduce from there.

If that means that many skip them and go on to Rugby to get 100 to 350 kWh then good us low power drawers.

Norton Canes on the Toll road has a few CCS chargers but I do not know of the next bank ie 6,8,10 or more chargers on the M6 which is why I still take my diesel car when going up to Liverpool or Manchester.

Hope they open up the Tesla network soon to non Teslas.  4200 miles and still not used a CCS charger, it is just so much cheaper to charge at home but that is limiting me to 80 mile range or so unless I am going to my workplace at Heathrow, Cardiff, Cambridge etc where I know I can get a charge at destination, even with a granny cable in some cases. 

Getting there but so patchy and so much to remember what is where.  Banbury looks good on the M40 which is important to me.

AFAIK there are no 'hubs' after that on the M6 until after the M62 junction. The nearest thing would be the MfG EV Power site in Stretford if going to that part of Manchester. There is the Osprey hub near Wolverhampton (WV4 6LQ), but its not handy for the Motorway.

Banbury seems to be getting some special love from the charging networks for some reason :rofl:

On 25/03/2022 at 15:43, Luckypants said:

On the subject of hubs, Gridserve opened their new 350kW charging hub at Exeter services today. !2 new chargers in addition to the 4 60kW chargers there already.

I hope they have plans to scale that ASAP.

There are not many cars that can use the 350, but we have one on order now.

However come the holidays, the things will be blocked solid with all the traffic coming down the M5 that has gone past Somerset and wants to do a last charge before it enters deepest devon/cornwall.

• Like 2

I'm looking at the 350kW infrastructure and thinking it's a good thing that it's being expanded and as you say ideally before next summer.

I would say this summer, but with 12 month waiting times on pretty much everything EV you're looking at next summer for the event that stresses it all.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rhug Estate and Instavolt have announced an 8 charger hub on the A5 / A494 near Corwen. Groundwork and signage in place, just need the chargers. Apparently be done 'for the end of the easter holidays'

https://rhug.co.uk/all-news/rhug-estate-set-to-become-largest-private-provider-of-rapid-electric-vehicle-charging-points-in-wales

• Like 2