just bought 67 reg SEL NO CD PLAYER Aaaargh!

22 minutes ago, DavidY said:

I sat in a new one in the showroom the other day and it didn't seem to have an AUX port either...

(Or at least they've moved/hidden it somewhere - if so then it's no longer next to the USB socket though.)

No aux port in the works 18 plate SE tech. No option on the stereo either.

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2018 at 01:18, canterburyblue said:

Had a 14 reg Octavia SE and "upgraded" to a 67 reg SEL as I love the cars.

Never dreamt it wouldn't have a CD Player in the wi fi system.

Only found out a day later.

Not a happy bunny as have hundreds of CD's that we always play when driving.

Taken the edge off my nearly new car. Feel let down.

My new SE also doesn't have a CD player.  Interestingly the Superb Sportline that the dealer lent me to take on holiday did have a cd/dvd player.

John

2 hours ago, jst_at_home said:

My new SE also doesn't have a CD player.  Interestingly the Superb Sportline that the dealer lent me to take on holiday did have a cd/dvd player.

John

The Superb Sportline gets the Columbus Sat Nav as standard.

If you spec an Octavia with Columbus you get CD/DVD too.

DVD picture cuts out when in motion though unless you have it disabled.

Octavia8 crop.JPG

Edited by logiclee

the main problem with not having a CD player is the standard Amundsen stereo is just pure garbage, the quality is terrible even if ripped to FLAC, that's why I fitted a boot mounted CD changer and never ever turn on the OEM head-unit unless using Sat-Nav or phone...

the old MK2 Octavia's stereo was 10x better than what's currently offered......

Most of my music collection is now in FLAC format anyway on a synology NAS box as we have a streamer at home and it makes it easy to copy any of our music to any device that we want to use it on. So I just filled a 128GB SD card for the car, interestingly the standard stereo in my MY17 vRS will play Hi-Def FLAC Studio Master Files as well.

You also get the benefit of Artwork if ripped correctly as well as track tagging etc. I still have a vast collection of CDs - but that is only as these are my licence to the music - rarely spin one up these days.

I also have hundreds of CD's (and no time to covert to MP3). The only good thing about a Prius I was made to drive for 8 months as a near-end of lease company car was that it had a 'jukebox' and it recorded every CD you played into a hard drive that you could then access. That made the process a lot easier. It's a great idea.

On 13/07/2018 at 15:28, gman1967 said:

Any suggestions what size card I would need to transfer around 50 cds to SD? And not having checked and missus having car today, what size is card i.e. micro etc?

Cheers

If you have Prime the 64GB Sandisk Micro SD with SD adaptor that's 40% off today (£11.99) looks like a good deal:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JYVKNX/

39 minutes ago, HotVRs said:

I also have hundreds of CD's (and no time to covert to MP3). The only good thing about a Prius I was made to drive for 8 months as a near-end of lease company car was that it had a 'jukebox' and it recorded every CD you played into a hard drive that you could then access. That made the process a lot easier. It's a great idea.

This is also possible on the Columbus nav system. Handy if you have the CD’s around :)

7 hours ago, marko said:

Yep agree.

The standard Mk2 basic Bolero is way ahead of all the Mk3 systems including canton for sound quality IMO

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Sometimes it’s not enabled from the factory though, but check the VCDS adaptations thread and the instructions to enable it :)

Mine does it but it's that slow it's far easier to rip CD's on a PC to SD Card or USB then file transfer onto the Columbus "Jukebox" HDD.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2018 at 06:44, marko said:

It maybe, even if I had modded the MkII tweeters by replacing each humble bypass elco with a MKP cap.

But my new VRS MKIII with latest unit (larger screen) and Canton does seem to sound better that amundsen with Canton on my previous Elegance AWD MkIII.

One thing was for sure definitely better in the VRS mkII vs the VRS MkIII was the seating!

Whatever you do, rip at the highest quality possible. FLAC is the best choice, as its lossless, so should be the same quality as the source material. The Stereo's in the Octavia are pretty poor, so they need the highest quality source material, otherwise you are just accentuating the issues.

Also, once stored to digital, make sure you back up all the music regularly. Its soo easy to accidentally delete a file.

2 hours ago, Greenie58 said:

No CD player in my 16 plate Mk3, Iv just ordered an SD card..then I will have to start the process, cant wait..:dull:

Took me about 2 weeks to rip my whole music collection (around 650 CDs at the time) and doing it at a leisurely pace.

If you just sit there full days, you can probably do it in a couple of days, but who has time for that? ;)

...mind you, it took me longer cause I wanted to get all the metadata right and I could not find metadata or CD covers for some of my CDs, so I had to create it myself...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ahenners said:

You lot are right dinosaurs :tongueout:

I bought my first CDs (5 of my choice came free with the CD player) in 1979, so I had a large collection before digital downloading even started - before even the internet existed and downloading even mp3 files wasn't a sane option with a 56kbps dial-up modem...

• Like 1

While I’m waiting for the 64GB SD to arrive I thought I have a play on a 2GB I had, I ripped 4 albums to it and tried it in slot 2, dead easy and the whole process only took about 10 minutes. 

Surely streaming any song you want whenever you want with the ability to create playlists is the way forward?

Spotify, Amazon music, etc etc? 

7 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Surely streaming any song you want whenever you want with the ability to create playlists is the way forward?

One step at a time I’m an old dinasour.

11 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

What about the many, mainly rural, areas where there is NO mobile data coverage?

Steaming is fine if you're always driving at or near major cities but hopeless in many more rural locations, so SD cards or downloaded files are the only credible solution for many of us.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

I think it is but that last 1/10 of quality is missing compared to a high bitrate audio file, especially if steamed over BT rather than directly cabled in.

For most of the time, the convenience and the fact Google Play is very good at suggesting new music based on my likes, massively outweighs the slight reduction in quality though.

@SWBoy Most streaming platforms do allow you to download the content for offline listening, so that would mitigate the signal issue somewhat, though you'd be limited to what's downloaded. Guess it's only the same with a CD or SD card though.

Edited by ahenners

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 01:18, canterburyblue said:

Had a 14 reg Octavia SE and "upgraded" to a 67 reg SEL as I love the cars.

Never dreamt it wouldn't have a CD Player in the wi fi system.

Only found out a day later.

Not a happy bunny as have hundreds of CD's that we always play when driving.

Taken the edge off my nearly new car. Feel let down.

Never assume anything down to the buyer to ask all relevant questions regarding your new purchase. Salesperson just want their bonus!:sadsmile: