Car cleaning ( windscreen issue)

MarcusKaroq

Hello,

just cleaning the car and on the front windscreen we are trying to clean it (smear free) but all we are getting is the sticky stuff from the protective film when it was first delivered. Obviously the dealer couldn’t be bothered to clean inside the car lol. 

Anyway, any tips on how to remove this sticky substance? 

Edited by MarcusKaroq

Try steel wool. Grade '0000' I know it sounds brutal but it does work. I had the residue of something sticky speckled all over my Karoq windscreen and the steel wool did the trick. Apparently it is an old trick that auto body repairers use if all else fails.

Edited by Livrishind
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vectis said:

Autoglym glass polish is the best I've found.

Yeah I have had this before and found it great, only got fast glass atm. I brought a bottle thinking I didn’t have one, to only find I did have one with my kit at home :rofl:.

steel wool, bloody heck lol. Doesn’t it even leave any scratches? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MarcusKaroq said:

Yeah I have had this before and found it great, only got fast glass atm. I brought a bottle thinking I didn’t have one, to only find I did have one with my kit at home :rofl:.

steel wool, bloody heck lol. Doesn’t it even leave any scratches? 

I tried autoglym glass cleaner on my screen, did not budge the stuff. The steel wool worked. No scratches, this grade is so fine french polishers use it on furniture when restoring.

Edited by Livrishind

I’ve got a bottle of “sticky stuff remover”.

Cant remember where I bought it, might have been from a pound shop.

Its great for removing label remains.

Otherwise isopropyl alcohol could do it.

Dont like the sound of rubbing my windscreen with wire wool!

On 13/07/2018 at 19:09, Arkaig said:

I find isopropanol is ideal for removing solvents from glass.

8 hours ago, TheRoq said:

... isopropyl alcohol could do it....

Agreed, applied sparingly with a clean and dry microcloth.  Followed by clean water and different microcloth.  Neither of the Autoglym products work for me.

16 hours ago, Livrishind said:

I tried autoglym glass cleaner on my screen, did not budge the stuff. The steel wool worked. No scratches, this grade is so fine french polishers use it on furniture when restoring.

Was that the fast glass or the glass polish as I found the fast glass wasn't very good but the glass olish is excellent.

When white spirit or meths will not dissolve sticky residue try WD40. Wonderful stuff.

Wire wool should work, will not harm the screen and is indeed used when French polishing. My concern is for any fine strands that break off. They can stick to paintwork and rubber seals and cause rust stains.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi eribaMotters. I understand your concern regarding fine wool residue. However I used it during a dry spell of weather and I also used my garage vac to blow any residue away. Steel wool residue will rust imediatley when wet. Following an inspection after rain showed no evidence of rust speckling anywere. Just take great care and all should be well.

It helps to use the steel wool in combination with your chosen screen cleaner that way many of the particles are held.  In fact as the screen is not in it's self abrasive there is not a lot that gets detached in my experience.  My second yeti after a screen replacement had a strange shadow make that responded very well to the above treatment.  I now use Rainex to clean and protect the screen and have found this to be about as good as it gets.  It's not like the old Rainex that had to be kept out of the sun and required endless buffing to polish the protective film.  Apply and remove and the protection excellent.

10 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Police in the USA carry coca cola in their boot to clean up blood off the pavement so should work well on a sticky windscreen!:o

I'd have thought coke would make it even skickier unless it's sugar free.

5 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Is that a sugar free pun!Must be the acidic nature of the drink that removes the blood.:blink:

I'm just going on the sticky mess left if you spill any of the ordinary coke.

Fast glass with a bit of elbow grease done the job, I just used a different cloth as the microfibres we’re leaving strands all over the windscreen. Will check the windscreen again when I next clean it though.