Speeding

davembk

Just now, Offski said:

^^^ So you know the tree obscures the sign, those that live there do, the Safety Partnership Employees must, and the Road Department should, 

is nobody reporting it or doing anything about it.  Today would be a good day to report it...

Been reported five times by myself and others. Local council can’t be bothered and the speed camera partnership just says thanks.

7 hours ago, BJM said:

Oh ffs

Stop Making Excuses.

I do about 30,000 Miles per year, have done for the last 20+ years.

Throughout that time I have done 2 awareness courses, but accept it as a fact of life that regularly I will have lapses of concentration and get caught.

Statistically for every occasion I’ve been caught there will have been hundreds if not thousands of times when I speeding and didn’t get caught.

lol-lol story is a typical case. (I am fully aware of the location as it is only 3 miles from home)

I suspect that given his home location he has travelled the lethal rat-run that is the A417 to the Air Ballon,and down Crickley Hill hundreds of times. You can’t tell me that the first and only he sped down there was the only time there was a camera van waiting.

As for why there was a van there in the first place, listen to BBC National radio traffic reports and see how many times this road is closed due to accidents, including fatalities.

To conclude, the only person to blame is YOU. You all know the NSLs and should be able to see other limit signs, repeaters and street lights etc. If you don’t perhaps your fitness to drive could be called into question. Or possible instead of a speeding ticket the charge should be driving without due care and attention. After all if you failed to observe the speed limit surely you weren’t paying proper attention.

Rant Over

You seem to have dropped the D for diesel out of your car details ?

At least with the 1.6 D you know you are getting close to 80 as it start running out of puff.  

At least I am not a polluting, mass murdering diesel driver.

Rant over.

Edited by lol-lol

32 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Well I do not want the speedo to be based on wheel rotation for starters.

How about a proper GPS biult in to the car showing GSP speed with a margin of error based on current triagulation ?

Accuracy can be 0.1 kph and sample rate 5 Hz on even basic models.

How about  Laser sensor method, also accurate to about 0.1%. 

Wheel rotation in to speedo, not a good method of metrology for speed, above two much better and if massed produced would not be expensive. 

Coping with tunnels (where GPS won't work) would require the laser sensor method (used by car manufacturers while testing) and since most cars have GPS anyway for the sat nav that could be used as a backup with any significant difference (when a GPS signal is being received) being flagged as a possible fault?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amwphotos said:

I'd like to suggest that if you have trouble slowing down to 30 because you can't see the sign then you were probably driving too fast. If it was a horse or child in the road at that point or a car pulling out you might even have to stop, so slowing to 30 should be easy. I'm not perfect either, it's way too easy to motor along in quiet fast modern cars.

On a country lane you don't just have to stop in the space you can see either but half that because whoever is coming the other way also needs to stop.

It's not that one's driving too fast and therefore having trouble slowing to 30 on seeing the sign.

Yes it's easy to slow, but of course, requires braking, otherwise the car would still be coasting through the 30 close to the previous speed of even a Miss Daisy driver. In fact speedwise I am actually proud to be close on a Miss Daisy myself as I know speed does kill  Those who claim slow(er) drivers are dangerous, are naive. 

The point is, why not have countdowns so drivers can let their speed naturally decay from say 40 to 30  over a countdown distance of say 1/4 mile. That's the point, to facilitate timely, eco, safer, stress free motoring. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, davembk said:

It's not that one's driving too fast and therefore having trouble slowing to 30 on seeing the sign.

Yes it's easy to slow, but of course, requires braking, otherwise the car would still be coasting through the 30 close to the previous speed of even a Miss Daisy driver. In fact speedwise I am actually proud to be close on a Miss Daisy myself as I know speed does kill  Those who claim slow(er) drivers are dangerous, are naive. 

The point is, why not have countdowns so drivers can let their speed naturally decay from say 40 to 30  over a countdown distance of say 1/4 mile. That's the point, to facilitate timely, eco, safer, stress free motoring. 

Indeed.  Invest in more change of zone signage.  During my police instructed driver training we would deliberately led to places where signage was just found corners ie 60 to 30 in 20 metres round a blind corner.

Two lesson I took.  Do not drive assuming something that is out of sight. Easier said than done.

Do not assume the quality of signage is of the same standard everywhere.

Perhaps also know how good your brakes actually are, mot brake results are often an eye opener and if you can replace your tyres with 2 or 3 mms left rather than 1.6 mm if you can.

Edited by lol-lol

13 hours ago, lol-lol said:

During my police instructed driver training we would deliberately led to places where signage was just found corners ie 60 to 30 in 20 metres round a blind corner.

Only a complete idiot would drive at 60 mph around a blind corner.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, moley said:

Only a complete idiot would drive at 60 mph around a blind corner.

The speed limit might be 60 mph but that does not mean one is doing 60 and one has backed off considering the topography of the road but placing a 30 mph restriction sign just round a quite severe bend, rather than just before it, just seems ill conceived,   Like this one below, 33 feet before the stop for the lights ie less than even the thinking distance at 30 mph if I recall my braking distance table at the back of the Highway Code............... 

Traffic lights

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lol-lol said:

The speed limit might be 60 mph but that does not mean one is doing 60 and one has backed off considering the topography of the road but placing a 30 mph restriction sign just round a quite severe bend, rather than just before it, just seems ill conceived,   Like this one below, 33 feet before the stop for the lights ie less than even the thinking distance at 30 mph if I recall my braking distance table at the back of the Highway Code............... 

Traffic lights

The road sign in this case is unnecessary because when approaching the junction the traffic lights  are visible before the sign.

1 hour ago, moley said:

The road sign in this case is unnecessary because when approaching the junction the traffic lights  are visible before the sign.

Essex Highway Liaison Orriface said........

“Being only 11 yards from the lights, at first glance the positioning of the sign does seem a little silly,” admits the highways liaison officer for Essex county council. “However, the lights are at the end of a bend and the sign has been placed in such a position that it is directly visible from quite some distance, while the traffic lights themselves are not.     “In this instance the sign is fulfilling a necessary role in warning drivers of traffic lights in advance of a bend that has a history of accidents — possibly caused by drivers failing to stop at the lights.” So it sounds as if the 11-yard warning sign is staying put.

Road position is of course key, balancing "visibility line with "racing line" (line giving the least centrifugal force/cornering force).   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Why would Sir David Beckham, someone Knighted for being a good person need Nick Freeman known as 'Mr Loophole' to appear for him to say that Sir David got the NIP a day after the 14 days because it was sent to Bentley and not forwarded or whatever?

Surely Sir David can hold up his hand, say 'Fair Cop Guv'vnor',   i do loads for Charity and it was just 19 mph over the limit and i have kids and WTF a Bentley would kill them at 40 mph the same as at 59mph which i was caught doing....

Obviously hiring a driver for a few weeks would be unreasonable, and a speeding conviction might bump his insurance.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

Not really a question of money....."...............  ......".............................................................6 Sep 2018 · The father-of-four, who is married to fashion designer Victoria Beckham, is estimated to be worth £339million, Celebrity Net Worth reveals.

• Sad 1

I thought the legal requirement was for the NIP to be POSTED (not RECEIVED) within a certain number of days (28?) so any postal delay is irrelevant - so why has DB been let off?

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

As reported, 'Sir David Beckham was driving a borrowed Bentley'. 

So the NIP went to the Registered Keepers and likely Owners of the Bentley, Bentley UK, part of the VW Group.

Their responsibility would be to reply to the NIP and declare who they think the driver might of been, then for the NIP to go to them.

I imagine that the person that was driving could be or maybe not be in the country but has their mail dealt with and their business affairs, 

sponsorship, cars lent to them or their company, or vehicles Leased.

Or just pull over & stop on the side of a motorway for a bit of a rest because they are 'needing a sleep', 

seemingly ok as it happened with one of the clients of Mr Loophole after such a busy time running a Football Team as happened with a manager & National Treasure.

EDIT.

Sorry, i got that wrong,

The National treasure had the runs and had to drive on the hard shoulder to save from filling his pants.

Edited by Offski
  • Haha 1

Hopefully Mr Loophole charges more than the fine would have been. He might have been fined up to 175% of his weekly income under the new rules. How much is that?

According to press reports he had another NIP sent to him the day before this one, but no-one knows what that was about.

• Like 1

Britains 3 richest man's son or whatever was done for speeding in Scotland.

There is different fining system, yet when my son was fined for the same offence he was given a much higher penalty according to his wages than this Director of his fathers companies.

On the A9 @ 71 in a 50 limit.

£300 & 4 points.

Teenage billionaire heir Charles William Llewellyn Cadogan fined for speeding because he was ‘excited to reach his family estate’.mhtml

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

This was more like the thing and the penalty matching the offence.  Just not based on income though.  & the cheek of trying on the sympathy bit on if there is the loss of licence..

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-33010343

Sheriff snubs Rolls-Royce speeder’s plea to dodge ban _ Scotland _ News _ Express.co.uk.mhtml

Edited by Offski

3 hours ago, Offski said:

Britains 3 richest man's son or whatever was done for speeding in Scotland.

On the A9 @ 71 in a 50 limit.

Whenever I see something like this I start to wonder exactly where the offence took place, because of the number of unnecessarily reduced limits.

In a 50 mph signposted roadworks area on Western Bypass @ Perth, so that would be Broxden to Inveralmond Roundabout i would think.

So where a speed limit was sign posted due to roadworks.  Are reduced speeds at roadworks on the A9 unnecessary?

Usually a great place to 'Road Test' cars from the Motor Mile.

Well apart from for the guy that wrote off a 'Sports Car' he was giving a test drive.

There was a thread with this in it in this section.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/443560-oops

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Are reduced speeds at roadworks on the A9 unnecessary?

Don't know. I have seen "roadworks" where an abated speed limit was protecting traffic cones and nothing else. And roadworks where there was a contraflow and/or workers in the carriageway immediately adjacent to a live lane.

All true; What I'm saying is that it's not a cut and dried case of "speeding in roadworks iz ebil", although I think that speeding in the presence of road workers should be grounds for an endangerment based charge.

Around here I can have to pass parked BT vans with about 3 feet between my car and them. I normally do so at idle revs in second, say 9mph? in case someone steps out.