Speeding

davembk

If the signs are up and at the correct distance apart and the correct paperwork is there for a speed restriction and you are caught and prosecuted then that is that.

If you are passing above the speed but decide that they are not required and you are going to ignore and get caught and prosecuted then tough.

I go past 50 mph signs all the time that have been moved off the road and just not removed yet.

If i am sent a NIP the same as everyone else that was doing it was i will be questioning it.

When i am speeding and caught i take the fines, the points or the ban, its not rocket science.

Getting charged extra on every car insurance policy pees me off though.  I only drive one vehicle at a time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xman said:

After all you wouldn't work of electric/gas/water without turning it off.

Think you might be surprised how often employees of the electricity distribution companies work on live cables (including power lines up to 400+kV) - after training and taking suitable safety measures.

I've done a speed awareness course, right it was great for those constant 40mph drivers who don't change their speed according to their situation / location. If you understand limit point, and recognise that 30 is often too fast in a built up area, and 70 on a lightly trafficked motorway is simply ridiculous then you won't get much from it. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, stever750 said:

I've done a speed awareness course, right it was great for those constant 40mph drivers who don't change their speed according to their situation / location. If you understand limit point, and recognise that 30 is often too fast in a built up area, and 70 on a lightly trafficked motorway is simply ridiculous then you won't get much from it. 

Got my Speed Awareness this afternoon, wonder how much "feedback" one can give without getting a black mark for not being the right level of contrition ?

So speed vans create bunching, waste fuel for the UK drivers and the UK now has one of the lowest speed limit in the world considering its roads.

The speed limit were introduced in the 60s, when there was no limits on Motorways, like Germany, just bad driving penalties, and therefore take no account of much better tyres and brakes and safety systems improvements in the last 60 years?

My current car shouts at me if I get too close, has ABS, ESP (it knows when the driver if front is liable to brake unexpectedly ?) . 

Speed vans would be better deployed doing tyre depth checks, MOT etc perhaps.   

Edited by lol-lol

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:40, Offski said:

Speed Awareness course gets you no fine & maybe no insurance increase in England, no idea about Wales.

Cheaper option than in Scotland then if just above the speed limit and caught & prosecuted or you accept the offence.

Speed awareness in Leicestershire costs £90 for 4 hours of your attention but agree no points on your licence and therefore no increase in your insurance either.:biggrin:

Taffs get the option of speed awareness as my invite to attend is in welsh as well and I guess Taffs attend the Worcester one as it is probably easier to get to Worcester to attend than some of the Welsh town options.  

1 minute ago, lol-lol said:

Taffs get the option of speed awareness as my invite to attend is in welsh as well and I guess Taffs attend the Worcester one as it is probably easier to get to Worcester to attend than some of the Welsh town options.  

Guessing the North Wales Gestapo got you. They have their reputation to maintain.:angry:

13 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Guessing the North Wales Gestapo got you. They have their reputation to maintain.:angry:

Gloucester oddly enough as I use to lived in Gloucester and should have known better.  

The Brockworth bypass, ie the A417 down from the Air Balloon roundabout is notorious, just before one joins the M5, one almost rolls in to breaking the speed limit coming down the AIr balloon hill.

The Speed can could be accused of contributing to pollution not allowing preservation of Momentum.

When diesel pollution kills ten times more than RTAs you know the world has gone mad. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Gloucester oddly enough as I use to lived in Gloucester and should have known better.  

The Brockworth bypass, ie the A417 down from the Air Balloon roundabout is notorious, just before one joins the M5, one almost rolls in to breaking the speed limit coming down the AIr balloon hill.

The Speed can could be accused of contributing to pollution not allowing preservation of Momentum.

When diesel pollution kills ten times more than RTAs you know the world has gone mad. 

Agree on the last point when you look at deaths due to increased asthma attacks then compare it to 1,700 RTA fatalities each year.:angry:

• Like 1

Survived the Speed Awareness course and the "providers" were quite up for a bit of banter.

Two points I will take away are that speeding in a built up area is crazy considering the number of deaths and how much difference driving at 35 or 40 can make to the outcome but I still think the Motorway and twin lane dual carriageways should be 75 or 80 mph as a reasonable speed for cars and motorcycles. 

Still need an accurate speed measuring device ie better than than the car's speedo which is about 4% optimistic.  Needs to be a accurate GPS device with a sampling rate better than 1 or 2 seconds like my current phone is.     

On 28/09/2018 at 20:03, stever750 said:

If you understand limit point, and recognise that 30 is often too fast in a built up area, and 70 on a lightly trafficked motorway is simply ridiculous then you won't get much from it. 

We’ve lots of 30mph roads where it would be madness to do 30.  My last six points came from one bit of speeding over two County borders, on the A14. Dual carriageway, no footpaths, 9pm, very little traffic, everyone driving what I would consider safely at 80-85mph, albeit obviously illegally. Suffolk and Essex constabularies must have had a very good evening. Lesson learned and the last time I came down, last month, I was steadfast at 70mph on cruise and pretty much everyone overtook me - quite safely, in my opinion.

Gaz

4 hours ago, Offski said:

Were you at an actual 70 mph or was it 67 mph and the speedo showing 70?

Some maybe had the speedo showing 80 mph and some will have been doing 75mph.

70mph according to my speedo/maxidot, so yes quite possibly a bit slower than actual.  I haven't got any clever stuff to show my actual speed.  Could borrow my son's satnav I suppose.

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...

I was pulled tonight, bang to rights, i took the risk and went for a pass after many miles behind a rather slow vehicle with no passing opportunities other than  the one i went for which meant crossing a solid line, quickly, luckily they put on the blues for a few flashes just after i committed the offence and then followed me for 6 miles before lighting up and stopping me.

2 very pleasant chaps asked for my licence which i never had, asked if i had any points, and told be it was a £100 and 3 point offence they could deal with at the road side.

They said look in the car for my licence. & when i could not find it they said OK, i was getting a warning and do not do the same again.

I take back everything i have ever said about officers.  Early birthday present i think when they had seen my DOB.

Edited by Offski

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:27, Offski said:

If the signs are up and at the correct distance apart and the correct paperwork is there for a speed restriction and you are caught and prosecuted then that is that.

If you are passing above the speed but decide that they are not required and you are going to ignore and get caught and prosecuted then tough.

I go past 50 mph signs all the time that have been moved off the road and just not removed yet.

If i am sent a NIP the same as everyone else that was doing it was i will be questioning it.

When i am speeding and caught i take the fines, the points or the ban, its not rocket science.

Getting charged extra on every car insurance policy pees me off though.  I only drive one vehicle at a time.

Or get let off on your BIRTHDAY, many happy returns, points don't always mean prizes!:o

I’m now part of this club having received  a nip for doing 52 in a 40 on the M6 south. I know full well that there were conflicting speed signs (physically placed signs showed 50 but the small led box showed 40 :@ ) 

My fault for not sticking to the lowest shown speed sign I guess :blush

People moan about Mr Beck's getting "Let off" as his NIP was late but that IS the law. Quite how you can prove it arrived late is another matter. I think it is meant to be sent out within 14 days but the postal system could delay delivery and unless sent by recorded delivery, its just he said, she said!

If you can prove the thing is late, you won't need a pricy mouthpiece but using one will deter slow acting speed camera operators. 

I have to agree with keeping a safe speed in built up areas, though. I can't count the amount of accidents, car remnants at the sides of the roads, I have seen and children being hit are far more likely to go under a vehicle, then adults, who by car design, usually go over the bonnet. 

That said, Government/local authority adverts regarding speeding, ALWAYS like to quite deaths and serious injuries in their stats. This is quite  a big difference to deaths. Death is getting quite rare but what classes as serious injury is just having an ambulance arrive at the scene. This could be near fatal or no more then just a sprain, a graze, suspected concussion with out hospitalisation, etc.

Get caught speeding in town, tough.  Motorways could have higher limits but will then need better regulation as the limits differ, depending on the vehicle driving it (Hence the national speed limit sign not being a number). Towing a caravan at 65 will be breaking the limit and driving dangerously, driving a car at 70 will be legal but could still be dangerous. Driving at 75 will be illegal but could be done quite safely in the correct circumstances but who decides this?

I see many people driving within the limit, ducking and diving in and out of lanes and not even giving the proceeding vehicle a chance to return to the left lane, etc but these numpties will never get caught speeding. They need a proper copper to stop them. I saw two just the other day, and they were speeding, one after the other. along a 30mph limit and they BOTH overtook dangerously. One on a mini roundabout, where I was signalling to turn right. Had I took the turn, he would have hit me. I had to abort and go ahead. The following car then did the same thing, on a blind, s- shaped set of bends. No way he could have seen an oncoming vehicle so he got lucky...twice. I say that as round the corner was a small group of police officers, walking the other way. One of them looked round at the driver and kind of hesitated but then carried on walking. Perhaps he had no way of recalling the registration in time but still, did nothing. 

Stupid drivers rely on this!

1 hour ago, mrgf said:

People moan about Mr Beck's getting "Let off" as his NIP was late but that IS the law. Quite how you can prove it arrived late is another matter. I think it is meant to be sent out within 14 days but the postal system could delay delivery and unless sent by recorded delivery, its just he said, she said!

If you can prove the thing is late, you won't need a pricy mouthpiece but using one will deter slow acting speed camera operators. 

I have to agree with keeping a safe speed in built up areas, though. I can't count the amount of accidents, car remnants at the sides of the roads, I have seen and children being hit are far more likely to go under a vehicle, then adults, who by car design, usually go over the bonnet. 

That said, Government/local authority adverts regarding speeding, ALWAYS like to quite deaths and serious injuries in their stats. This is quite  a big difference to deaths. Death is getting quite rare but what classes as serious injury is just having an ambulance arrive at the scene. This could be near fatal or no more then just a sprain, a graze, suspected concussion with out hospitalisation, etc.

Get caught speeding in town, tough.  Motorways could have higher limits but will then need better regulation as the limits differ, depending on the vehicle driving it (Hence the national speed limit sign not being a number). Towing a caravan at 65 will be breaking the limit and driving dangerously, driving a car at 70 will be legal but could still be dangerous. Driving at 75 will be illegal but could be done quite safely in the correct circumstances but who decides this?

I see many people driving within the limit, ducking and diving in and out of lanes and not even giving the proceeding vehicle a chance to return to the left lane, etc but these numpties will never get caught speeding. They need a proper copper to stop them. I saw two just the other day, and they were speeding, one after the other. along a 30mph limit and they BOTH overtook dangerously. One on a mini roundabout, where I was signalling to turn right. Had I took the turn, he would have hit me. I had to abort and go ahead. The following car then did the same thing, on a blind, s- shaped set of bends. No way he could have seen an oncoming vehicle so he got lucky...twice. I say that as round the corner was a small group of police officers, walking the other way. One of them looked round at the driver and kind of hesitated but then carried on walking. Perhaps he had no way of recalling the registration in time but still, did nothing. 

Stupid drivers rely on this!

Talking of towing a caravan, guessing you were not on the M40 the other day when the 80 year old driver seem to playing a game of chicken with motorists driving lawfully in the correct direction. You say deaths on our roads are getting quite rare.

2012 UK ROAD DEATHS 1,754. 2014 UK ROAD DEATHS AND LATEST FIGURES FOR 2017 1,792. Our roads are not getting safer quite the opposite.:blink:

• Like 1