How easy is it to swap interiors? i.e. change all the seats and front arm rest?

YetiBump

As I scour the market for a car I like it really does seem a compromise in terms of spec, colours and interiors with Yetis. As I'm sure you all know but I am learning.

I'm already looking for a diesel (for the first time ever) as I want an auto and the petrols with DSG are underpowered for my needs.

Ideally I think I would now like a Quartz Grey or Black SE L Drive 2.0 TDI 150PS with black leather interior and a panoramic sunroof.

A car like that might exist but is it a daft idea to get an L&K, strip out the brown leather seats, arm rest and door cards and fit a good black leather interior from a car from a breakers yard?

I read somewhere there may be issues with VCDS and re-setting air bags once you've changed seats?

Am I daft to even consider this option and should I just sit and wait longer for the right car to come along or make my own?

Cheers!

Hmm, I've read this https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/yeti/body/body_work/passenger_protection/deactivating_and_activating_airbag_units_(adaptation)/

but can all that complicated process really be bypassed by disconnecting the battery?! I'd like to think that would be possible.

How easy is it to change the brown door cards for black? 

How easy is it to swap over the brown arm rest for black?

Edited by YetiBump

First of all the chance of finding a non L&K with a panoramic sun-roof is very slim. They were a quite expensive option and for those that wanted a panoramic sun-roof the L&K made more financial sense with the other options included.

Now to the interior. I wouldn't even contemplate it on cost grounds alone! Some say the brown isn't too bad and would go quite well with the grey. If you get one you could always see how you get on with it. And then if you don't like it you could always get some good quality seat covers or get the existing seats etc. dyed black.

With the age of Yetis not being that great yet it's likely that the only full interiors will be from written off cars which could bring its own problems with it i.e. some of the interior being damaged.

As the Drive is a recent model have you asked a main dealer if  there are any new ones left in stock anywhere? It was diesels that were left.

Edited by VAGCF

IMHO...daft idea (well you did ask)

Just buy a Magnetic Brown L&K, as I did, and a cool pair of Ray-Bans, which I didn't.

Instant black car for you and when nicely polished, a good looker for everyone else to enjoy (the brown L&K, not you and the Ray-Bans!).

Edited by Bexhillian
  • Like 1

Good advice thanks.

Do you mean the cost of the interior? I've found a write off with black leather interior in what looks like very good condition. 

It's the actual possibnility/pain in the arseness of the swap i'm looking to find out about.

I used to pull e30s apart and changed interiors in there so as long as it's possible I can use a scewdriver like the best of them.

3 minutes ago, Bexhillian said:

Just buy a Magnetic Brown L&K, as I did, and a cool pair of Ray-Bans, which I didn't.

Instant black car for you and when nicely polished, a good looker for everyone else to enjoy (the brown L&K, not you and the Ray-Bans!).

haha no chance! But I admire your brown fetish (from a distance where I think its black..)

The business grey one? Too light silverish for me thank you. 

No sun roof is not a deal breaker but got to be an external and interior colour that I like long term.

Edited by YetiBump
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t want a sun roof as too many reported problems with them.

Find a black or grey sel Drive like mine.

Sun roofs became pointless once cars have standard air con, unless you want a window in the roof for the sun to blind you through.

oh, I suppose the blinds can be closed, but then it’s a car without a sunroof!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I wouldn’t want a sun roof as too many reported problems with them.

Find a black or grey sel Drive like mine.

Sun roofs became pointless once cars have standard air con, unless you want a window in the roof for the sun to blind you through.

oh, I suppose the blinds can be closed, but then it’s a car without a sunroof!

I think the sun roof issues have been sorted out but you're right, so it's not a deal breaker.

Are you considering selling your Yeti Ken? It is the spec I'm after. 

Afraid not, it is a lease car that I am using for my job at the moment, very overspecced with extras and I intend to buy it  at the end of lease value, which is already set in the agreement, and use into my retirement.

Unless of course it is virtually worthless by then with the lemmings rushing away from one of the best diesels available?

Or it gets damaged significantly at some point.

Kodiac was too big for my needs and Karoq not released and I had to replace my previous company Yeti on a certain date when the scheme was closed.

Still think there is nothing like the Yeti available, even now, although some features are better in the later cars.

On 29/07/2018 at 20:59, YetiBump said:

but can all that complicated process really be bypassed by disconnecting the battery?! I'd like to think that would be possible.

You'll be fine with the battery disconnected, and you won't trigger any airbag warning lights as long as you don't turn on the ignition with the seat airbag connector plugs disconnected.

Edited by wiilydog
  • Like 1

On 29/07/2018 at 21:36, Bexhillian said:

I too, baulked at the thought of the Metallic Brown L&K and a brown interior. I now love it and I've had lots of compliments when she's had a wash and a polish.

• Like 1

There was a full set of original Yeti black leather seat covers on eBay for about £40 a while back.
Being sold by a re-trimmer.

What are you prepared to pay change the Interior trim?  I had my wife's Mk 1Fabia vRS and my 2010 Octavia II 4X4 Estate retrimmed in black leather by Seat Surgeons in York and would unreservedly recommend them.   The quality of the leather they use and their workmanship is noticeably better than the OEM black leather upholstery fitted to my 2015 Yeti.

Currently got one of those much maligned Yeti L & K's with the brownish interior and Business Grey paintwork, I wasn't sure about how it would look until I actually got it but to be honest it actually looks alright. Admittedly not a colour combination I would of ever considered but quite inoffensive on the road, in certain lighting conditions the leather colour looks more like burgundy than brown to be honest. Personally speaking I didn't like the quartz grey colour in the Yeti that I test drove but that is entirely your own personal choice, in addition being lazy in washing my car I think the darker shades will show the dirt more than the lighter metallic colours! As for the sunroof, I've got it and for 99% of the time never even use it, let alone open up the sun blind and get cooked inside the car. In wintertime it is quite pleasant to open the blind and let a bit more light into the car but you won't be comfortable with that in warm weather.

Edited by AllanDJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2018 at 16:57, DGW said:

What are you prepared to pay change the Interior trim?  I had my wife's Mk 1Fabia vRS and my 2010 Octavia II 4X4 Estate retrimmed in black leather by Seat Surgeons in York and would unreservedly recommend them.   The quality of the leather they use and their workmanship is noticeably better than the OEM black leather upholstery fitted to my 2015 Yeti.

What did you pay for that if you don't mind me asking?

I was more thinking of switching interiors from a write off in a breakers yard.

Just noticed my 2017 17k mile Yeti has a hole developing in the drivers seat side panelon the bolster where it wears most getting in and out. Previous yeti did 45k with just wear and no hole, first Yeti 65k ditton. Not very happy with this and wonder if this would be a warranty claim? They will probably argue it has been damaged by sharp clothing or somenthing in my pocket?

I had this problem with my 2010 Yeti, it was the way I twisted my body before exiting the car.

It caused the seat belt web to wear.

Skoda replaced the seat belt

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve given up on the replacing the interior idea. Ok, it was daft.

Now impatiently waiting for the right car to come up for sale.

An SE L Drive 2.0Tdi 150ps DSG in quartz grey or black.

There’s a good one for sale without leather but I’m holding out for one with. I might have to wait a while I guess..

• Like 1