Grinding noise

So I'm pretty certain I can hear a grinding noise when turning left and right. I had this on a previous car I had when turning left only and the dealer said it was normal road noise. Should there be any noise coming from the car when turning before I book it in to be looked at?

How old is the car and how many miles, and is it used everyday, and does it at the start of journeys and during and when parking at the end of a journey?

Report to a dealership your concern and have a Master Technician check it out, even if just a drive with you there listening.

The car is 5 weeks old with 1500 miles. Noise is more apparent with windows up. It does is from the start to the finish of the journey but only when turning. Don't notice it when parking.

I'll catch up with the other thread. 

• 1 month later...

Yes that is my post lol I was ready to reject the car to be honest. The dealer had changed the bearing but noise was still there. They contacted Skoda UK who then sent a bulletin stating it is normal acoustic noise. My brother has the exact same car as mine so told the dealer I would be rejecting. They got back in touch with Skoda who asked them to try changing the gearbox mount and it has worked. Noise gone! Glad I didn't accept the acoustic rubbish!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2018 at 20:46, KKB24 said:

The dealer is going to update Skoda UK so hopefully it'll make a difference for others. I have heard that others have had it replaced but not taken it away completely.

Hi Kerry, was your grinding noise quite faint or pretty loud? Mine seems quite faint and i don't even notice it all the time. I have a Scout 4 wheel drive 190 and i *think* it's only when turning as well.

• 7 months later...
On 19/09/2018 at 22:25, silver1011 said:

@KKB24, did you get to the bottom of this?

There is a Kodiaq owner over on Facebook who's dealer finally cured the noise.

Gearbox mount...

Screenshot_20180919-212431.thumb.jpg.02768d3156e1a342e8c0b5f6cb129c25.jpg

This could be a coincidence or just 1 / 2  of the problem.

What also is needed to be controlled, is the "top motor mount". So, both of motor mounts must be adjusted or in position according Skoda workshop manual. It is especially important that the "-b-" is correct, that the motor is mounted in parallel with the mount.

Same story is with motor mount under the battery.

If this is not important, it won't be in the workshop manual :)

Top motor mount adjustment:

Adjusting of motor mout.png

Edited by ppejic

As you can see above, the noise returned, so it would appear the gearbox mount or something that was interrupted whilst it was changed, temporarily stopped the noise, but not for long.

Yes i've saw it, but the question that I've brought up is, has the Service  followed instructions from the workshop manual about engine alignment?

Ussually it is not followed, just "engine up" -> "replace support" ->  "mount screws" -> "done"

If the engine is not aligned, the drive shaft is under constant lateral pressure. That is esspecially noticable in curves when some additional (centrifugal force coming from the engine weight and curving) force is producing even bigger pressure over bearing joint. This joints are not design to handle this lateral force.

My idea was that someone, who has this issue, can crosscheck the adjustment of the top engine mount, and give us some feedback.

I have some grinding noise, and engine alignment is not correct also.

Edited by ppejic
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I must correct my self. Lateral pressure is not existing, because shaft has lateral movement of 2-3 cm by its design 😞

Edited by ppejic

• 2 months later...

Octavia III with equal problem. Solved! 5Q0 199 555 R replaced (gearbox holder)
The TPI: "gearbox noise when steering to the left"
https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/geraeusche-beim-lenken-nach-links-t6154125.html

But all my doubts are upon some loose screw-bolt, there are approx. 10 of them responsible for holding the gearbox.

Edited by ppejic
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a satisfactory fix for this grinding noise. I bought a new Sportline 2.0d 150 dsg  in July 18 and I first noticed the noise in April/ May 19. Only happens on left turns - but once you notice the noise it will haunt you forever.

Reported at first service and has been back in 3 times. The latest is that the dealer (Mitchells) checked a similar model configuration and that one makes the noise too. Rather than accept there is a build problem, Skoda are now saying its a characteristic!

Any advice would be welcome. Suffice to say I'm very very disappointed.

In the meantime - if anyone is buying a Kodiaq - look out for this noise

@Adamsdad

Welcome.

Above your post are ones that resolved the issue for others.

Do not accept the 'Characteristic' line.  Just because they have another faulty car in that is not as the Engineeer Designed it to behave.

Ask Michells Dealer Principal for his / her top of the range / halo model demonstrator perk to drive for a week and he or she can drive your car untill the Master Tech tries a bit harder finding how to fix the characteristic.

Everyone will end up wanting a grinding noise car and feel short changed they got one that does not annoy them.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Haha 1

Thanks but the way I read the earlier posts was that the fix was not successful as the noise returned after a short time.

My engine alignment was supposedly checked on the previous visit and a software update installed - this made no difference.

And to be fair to Mitchells they are doing what the factory tell them to do - and I didn't buy it from them either.

I think my issue rests with Skoda UK so if anyone has advice on the  best approach then that too would be most welcome. 

You have a Warranty, and as for the Factory if it is the factory they are Robert the Bruce fans, or spider fans. Try try and try again and who cares if the custiomer is incovenienced , 

eventualy they give up and get a Volvo.

PS

If it is a characteristic it is just weird that they mess about trying to get shot of it!

Really to be fair or honest they are not being good, being good would be getting a VW HQ Technician in to show their techs what they are doing wrong.

MauMauM.jpg.a730f8af9f11981f15b1387419a3b965.jpg.3d0cd25182f29ac829db4d9064ddc2cf.jpg.35e827417bcf600273cbd4a4ebdb8799.jpg

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg.24a37f9163e0ba1cfd6b6fd298e8e592.jpg

Edited by Roottootemoot

I wrote the letter of complaint, directly to Skoda factory.  One of the complaint was the grinding noise. Then (after 10 days), the Skoda customer service  forwarded my complaint to car importer of my country, who contacted me and explain that Skoda has prepared and tested a SOFTWARE solution for this issue. Affected part with SW update is the gearbox. Since this problem is present at DQ500, DQ381 and DQ380, only thing that is SAME is XDS+, so I think it is this system which cause the problems. If it is so, this is a good news because XDS is driven with ABS and is not the mechanical part of DSG.

I am still waiting to get time slot in workshop for this "fix".

We shall see, I also examine the possibility that caliper of the left front wheel brake is a bit stuc or not lubricated enough. The reason of my doubt is that front left braking disk is more worn than right one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same experience too.

the problem is on driving  3rd gear on low rpm (specialy 1400 rpm) while driving and pressing the gas pedal slowly you hear the noise, like two metal grinding and when you drive it faster, (rpm increasing) the noise disappears.
I can confirm the issue is also on another brand new KODIAQ. it could be Kodiaq series issue i`m not sure , we should see  .. but i can say that i`m very concerned.

I have a Kodiaq 2018 model 4x4 DSG automatic diesel 150hp and I can confirm that I hear this noise on my car too under these exact conditions, when driving slowly or turning.

Edited by john999boy