Tesco Momentum 99 vs Shell V Power- REAL LIFE FACTS

vrsdx57

Hello my friends, 

PLEASE SHARE YOUR OPINIONS , BUT ONLY IF YOU TRIED BOTH FUELS FOR LONG TIME.

Facts after using both fuels for a period longer than 30 days each (1000-1500miles):

Car: 10 plate Octavia Vrs petrol FSI, stage one , 245bhp, 300lb torques.

1. Momentum 99:

- acceleration feels more explosive compared with v power , but delivery not so smooth compared with shell

- In between 5000- 5500rpm there is clearly a blank spot where car power seems to drop just before changing gear and I get the feeling that it’s no point to keep reving so it’s better changing. This is more pronounced in higher gears 4th, 5th.

2. Shell V power:

- Power delivery is smoother, car doesn’t feel as fast and acceleration not so explosive (don’t get me wrong , car is very fast anyway, lol) but I get that feeling that power it’s there all the time when needed. It gives a feeling of reassurance which I like it ...

- There are no blank spots where I feel that car is losing power, even in high gears it just pulls and pulls up to red line way over 5000rpm.

- Fuel consumption looks a bit better, but not sure about this , maybe is just my right foot.

PERSONALLY I PREFER V POWER, it’s the feeling of knowing that every second you get what you need and expect , there are no “surprises” and I feel secure when overtaking. I don’t think car is actually faster with Momentum, it’s just the way it makes you feel.

PS: I want to get back to Tesco Momentum for a month, just to be sure that my thoughts are right.

Will get back here and share the facts again.

HAVE YOU GOT ANY REAL FACTS ABOUT THIS? I would like to hear it. 

THANK YOU.

Edited by vrsdx57
  • Like 1

Real Fact.

Royal Dutch Shell & Greenergy (part owned by Tesco) that produce Tesco Momentum 99 import and store the same base petroleum, 

they co-own facilities.

They are both 99 ron minimum in the UK.  There are secret detergents and additives and octane boosters added. Ethanol.

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent 

They produce & distribute ESSO Fuels as well including their 97 ron Super Unleaded.

Please yourself what you like. 

Tesco Momentum 99 costs 5 pence a litre more than Tesco 95 ron.  Shell V-Power + the 5-10 pence a litre more again.

If you think the Royal Dutch Shell product is better maybe stick with it.

Maybe try Costco 99 ron, which you might find is the same as Tesco Momentum 99, or maybe you will not.

Maybe use an app and track you range / fill ups if your driving is much the same month to month and season to season.

Winter Petroleum October to March in the UK, less Hygroscopic, i like the Tesco Momentum 99 in winter, 

but then i like it all the time in remapped cars.  We get nice stuff in Scotland, Minimum 99 ron, sometimes feels like European 100-102 ron.

http://fuelly.com 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vrsdx57 said:

In between 5000- 5500rpm there is clearly a blank spot where car power seems to drop just before changing gear and I get the feeling that it’s no point to keep reving so it’s better changing. This is more pronounced in higher gears 4th, 5th.

This doesn’t seem to make sense as gearing shouldn’t make any difference to power delivery as the power at the flywheel will be consistent at any given rev range. If the flat spot appears more pronounced in higher gears it’s sounds like a mechanical issue such as clutch slippage. 

• Like 2

^^^ Exactly.

So with a Remapped TSI that would be when i would be checking the 4 spark plugs closely, checking what the gaps are and maybe upgrading the spark plugs if not already done. Being sure the Ignition Coils are good as well, and a nice fresh air filter is fitted.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CWARD said:

This doesn’t seem to make sense as gearing shouldn’t make any difference to power delivery as the power at the flywheel will be consistent at any given rev range. If the flat spot appears more pronounced in higher gears it’s sounds like a mechanical issue such as clutch slippage. 

Thanks for your answer mate, you might be right ; I ll pay attention about that possible clutch slippage when I will change fuel next week. Will keep you posted 

In a higher gear, any issues with power delivery will be amplified by the greater apparent 'leverage' of that gear.  Imagine pushing down on a lever with the pivot close to you.  Any stop in the force that you apply will show more clearly at the other longer end.

• 2 months later...
On 01/08/2018 at 14:16, MarkyG82 said:

In a higher gear, any issues with power delivery will be amplified by the greater apparent 'leverage' of that gear.  Imagine pushing down on a lever with the pivot close to you.  Any stop in the force that you apply will show more clearly at the other longer end.

Are you saying a higher gear will make the clutch slip (If any) More noticeable than a lower one? I think I follow your reasoning despite the fact that each successive higher gear is weaker then the one before it. I would have thought a lower gear would produce more power and make the clutch slip more.

A lower gear will turn the gear box easier thus transferring more rotation force (torque) to the wheels. A higher gear will require more torque to turn the wheels so the slip will be more noticeable.  IME it usually gets noticed first in 3rd or 4th.

Mk2 Fabia vRS /DSG (CAVE) 2010-2012 had a dip in power / torque at about 5,200 rpm which was felt on the road or shown on the dyno, 

but that was just the map / engine management and that could be changed with a Remap.

(flat spot then  more kick some described it as)

The CTHE engine introduced in 2012 had a different map / engine management and that 'dip' at 5,200 rpm or there about was no longer there.

But then the CAVE engine & the CTHE engine were both 180 ps / 250 Nm torque, only the 2012 engine was actually not.

Max torque reached & dropping off as HP increasing to max BHP. Just not as noticeable. Why people might do Remaps and use Higher Octane fuels.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/201343-vrs-dyno

CAVE Engine 2010-2012

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/357839-fabia-vrs-estate-rolling-road-run

CTHE Engine 2012-2014

The recommended Octane for these engines is 98 ron, but as all EU approved engines have to be able to run on 95ron 

which is what VW / Skoda take the Max BHP & Max Torque figures using.  Maximum really means minimum that they should achieve.

Edited by Offski

3 minutes ago, Fantantonio said:

Was told by a mechanic that using the premium petrols all the time wears a lot of the seals in the engine out more quickly so to only use it for 1 in every 3 refuels. Anyone know the reason for this?

Which country do you live in? Maybe they still use MMT or other metallic additives as an octane booster - all banned in Europe.

5 minutes ago, Offski said:

It is not 'Premium Petrol',  there is Unleaded 95 octane or Super Unleaded 97 or 99 octane in the UK.

There are lots of engines running long times without worn seals.

I ran my previous Audi for 10 years exclusively on either Shell VPower or Tesco Momentum with no issues at all.

• Like 1

I would rather use momentum 99 than the absolute cheapest supermarket fuel. I had a BMW 523i with a complete new botom half due to high sulphur content destroying the cyclinder liners and compression. The Tesco fuel station I visited on Saturday had a fault on the momentum pump which cleared itself. The till operator said that the momentum pump doesn't get that much use and frankly I am not surprised, penny wise and pound foolish scrimping, better performance and good mpg 42Mpg at 60 mph for a whole 5p per litre. 

All 95RON fuel in the UK contains a minimum of 5% ethanol by law.

Tesco Momentum 99 contains 5% ethanol. (Greenergy docs)

Ethanol is extremely hygroscopic.

Sainsbury's super unleaded anecdotely is the same as BP ultimate, both 97RON min. Again anecdotely, they don't contain ethanol. If that's true then less likely to absorb water if you don't fill up very often

Now in the UK seeing as it is mid October fuel leaving the Depots for Filling station tanks stating in the North of the UK and later further south is Winter Spec Diesel & Petrol.

So the diesel has Anti Waxing formulation and the petrol has components to make it less hygroscopic.

Ethanol is quite hygroscopic.

The winter fuels in the UK will be getting delivered to filling station and other fuel tanks until at least late March 2019.

Maybe someone wants to check on that.

Winter grade 95, 97 & 99 ron Minimum is lovely stuff IMO.

19 hours ago, Fantantonio said:

Was told by a mechanic that using the premium petrols all the time wears a lot of the seals in the engine out more quickly so to only use it for 1 in every 3 refuels. Anyone know the reason for this?

Other way around. Lower quality fuel is more likely to contain more ethanol, which buggers up the rubber bits on engines, especially older vehicles.

My bike, for example, has a petrol 1992 engine but was designed in 1978. Using modern cheap fuel WILL knacker things like the carb rubbers and they aren't cheap or easy to source suitable replacements. Therefore the bike gets top quality petrol.

I also found that none of my bikes ever ran well on supermarket fuel, and my wife's 2003 CR-V certainly prefers premium too.

As a result, my diesel gets premium fuel too, mainly for the cleaning additives and all that. I can't really be so fussed about economy, but it runs fine so I'm happy to stick with that.

Despite me running the cars on Tesco diesel and never having a problem,  I do run the motorbike on Texaco premium. The bike will run better on a higher octane fuel delivering more power but it will also run without issues, albeit less power, on regular and low fuel octane fuels too. The only reason it gets Texaco mainly is because it’s the closest garage to me, when run on Tesco premium there is no difference though. 

Diesels are called Diesel or Premium Diesel.  

Petrol is Unleaded or Super Unleaded.  Texaco, BP, ESSO, Gulf and others Super Unleaded in the UK are 97 octane minimum.

Tesco Momentum 99, Shell V-power Nitro+ and Costco Super Unleaded in the UK are 99 octane minimum.

The 'Super Unleaded' covering different octanes is odd, but calling them 'Premium' is just lost in translation considering 

95 ron from some retailers costs more to purchase than Super Unleaded for others, be that 97 or 99 ron minimum.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

I don't understand why Texaco, BP, ESSO, Gulf, etc all sell 97 ron yet my last two cars (different manufacturers) have stated to put 98 ron or above in them.

Are there cars out there that are recommended to run 97 ron?

Is 98 ron available in other parts of Europe/the world?