Tesco Momentum 99 vs Shell V Power- REAL LIFE FACTS

vrsdx57

Yes there is 98 ron in other world regions.

There was in the UK as well, from Shell, ESSO, BP and Texaco / Gulf.  

But then that changed and it is 97 ron (Minimum)

and there was Tesco Momentum 99,  then Shell Changed V-Power 98 ron to V-Power Nitro+,  now there is Costco with 99 octane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

• Like 1

I wonder why they went from 98 to 97?

Someone on my old car's forum claimed that the mon rating for Tesco momentum was different and that suited turbo charged engines better. Wikipedia doesn't seem to show any difference.

Lovely stuff now, Winter Spec coming to you from Grangemouth / Ross or Clydebank.  

Tesco Momentum 99.   But then the Shell is coming from there as well.  99 minimum remember, sometimes it can be hard to feel the difference from 100 octane that is in Continental Europe or even 102 ron sometimes...(Hiperflo 250)

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent

Edited by Offski

• 5 months later...

Last week on arriving at my local Shell garage with just 2 litres of 99 octane V-Power left in my tank (15 range showing on maxidot) found they only had regular 95 octane unleaded so filled the tank with the cheap stuff (£1.23 per litre). After 350 miles now showing 75 miles left and will fill up soon with the good stuff. Conclusions are my car didn't feel a lot slower on 95 octane but having not been booting it due to concerns over possible pinking under boost and best have seen is just over 40mpg whereas the 99 octane can give over 43mpg on the same commute. Probably perfectly good enough for a standard 220/230/245 Octavia Vrs but has reduced my usual 450 range (41mpg average) to 425 miles (about 39mpg). The more expensive stuff also probably has more additives to protect the injectors from suffering from carbon build-up.:wondering:

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word
  • Haha 1

It is a higher octane, that is what matters, matters wherean engine / engine management can benefit and adjust,

the Detergent Package Additives is hardly affecting your car in the short term. If ever.

?

How much boost?  If you floor it and keep the pedal down for maybe 17 seconds are you not doing 160 MPH, or 120 MPH in this universe?

'REAL LIFE FACTS' type thing like in the title.

Why would it feel faster or slower with your 300+bhp and you not even using a 1/3rd of that even if breaking UK NSL's.

You just put the throttle down and off it goes.

Maybe just enough that some cars feel more efficient and emit less emissions with the higher octane.

Maybe 1 or 2 MPG is enough for some.

?

Is there any reason you choose to pay more per litre for Shell V-Power Nitro+ at 99 ron minimum over Tesco Momentum 99 Minimum.

Same Octane or sometimes higher, same detergents, as Royal Dutch Shell and retailers are doing nothing special with the additive package for the 5-10 pence a litre extra.

Sainsburys Super Unleaded 97 ron minimum will cost you the same as Shell FuelSaver 95 Octane and likely feel no slower or faster.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

Simple answer George nearest Tesco garage is 12 miles round trip out of my way on the commute whereas the Shell garage I pass twice every day I travel to work. Convenience matters to some rather than saving a few pennies. Never shop at Tesco's for the same reason so don't collect their points. Fill the wife's Karoq at Sainsbury's to collect Nectar points for free Taste The Difference Port (3-5 bottles) which is right next to J21 M1 which I pass every day also. Currently about £1.16 per litre at Sainsbury's.:biggrin:Save £20 of Nectar points during the year and during November they double these points so they are worth £40 so we buy 5 bottles of port with the coupon. Still got one bottle left from last Xmas.:drink:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Saving of about £4 on the price of the Super Unleaded for a tank fill covers the extra mileage to Tesco, then reward points,  but time is money obviously, 

but then at warp speeds 12 miles will take not much time.

Is that the wine or 95 ron that is 116 pence a litre at Sainsbury ?

Edited by Skoffski

10 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Saving of about £4 on the price of the Super Unleaded for a tank fill covers the extra mileage to Tesco, then reward points,  but time is money obviously, 

but then at warp speeds 12 miles will take not much time.

Is that the wine or 95 ron that is 116 pence a litre at Sainsbury ?

Time more important as I leave home at 05:10 and get home at 18:40. Long enough day without adding to it.:sleepy:Defo the 95 unleaded at that price for the Karoq. Still get 54-55mpg so not going in for the FIX.:tongueout:

• Like 1

Her car might well run a bit more efficiently with Sainsbury Super Unleaded 97 Ron (minimum remember). 

More Necter Points for the 5 pence a litre extra.  Maybe no less Australian Characteristics' though.  Still a wooly jumper.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Her car might well run a bit more efficiently with Sainsbury Super Unleaded 97 Ron (minimum remember). 

More Necter Points for the 5 pence a litre extra.  Maybe no less Australian Characteristics' though.  Still a wooly jumper.

Think I will remap it after the first service indicated to be due at 18,700 miles and then take your advice to use Sainsbury's Super and still collect the points and she will be pleased with 180+bhp and economy should still be decent (averaging 45mpg).:thumbup:

Edited by shyVRS245
missing word

No way in this world would i remap a 1.5TSI until VW resolve Engine Management issues, extend the Warranties on engines and gearboxes and time passes to see if there are no fundamental design, manufacturing , material , component failings.

Well unless happy to just risk it for a biscuit and take what life throws at you.  What is the worst that can happen.  £5,000, easy come, easy go!

Never had a single issue with a AmD remap. They will be preparing 4 touring cars for todays BTCC races from Brands Hatch 370bhp and Tesco Momentum pump fuel with no mechanical issues all season. Luck favours the brave is my life's motto and seems to be working out so far for me and SWMBO. Never skimp on maintenance, tyres and quality remaps pay for themselves in the long run with fuel savings in improvements to mpg/range. All good if you take the right precautions and use quality people.:clap:

• Haha 1

Are those BTCC cars i am watching running Tesco Momentum 99 Pump Fuel with an additive package including detergents,

or 102 Ron Motorsport Fuel?

They are fantastic, can swim like a fish and fly like a bird, tune cars like a car tuner, great reputation etc etc,

so have you asked them what they have been doing regarding  1.5 TSI's.

They certainly have experience of the sometimes 'chocolate fireguard 1.4 TSI Twinchargers. 

I used Hiperflo 250 on high days and holidays and special occasions  with Stage 1 or Stage 2 1.4 TSI . Just worked out the same cost as running a V8 sometimes, 

but plenty smiles per miles.

Screenshot 2019-04-07 at 13.41.17.png

Screenshot 2019-04-07 at 13.40.28.png

Edited by Skoffski

Amazing, i thought well more than thought actually knew the MSA tested / approved fuel had the level playing field, and the fuels being consistent. 

Quite important even when tuning and testing, just fuel and not the detergents.

http://btcc.net/about/technical-overview

When were teams / cars not using 102 ron?

So are you saying that in the past they ran the BTTC cars on Tesco Momemtum 99 pump fuel produced or supplied by Greenergy because Momentum is on Stickered up BTTC cars?

There is Pump Fuel from Royal Dutch Shell that is 102 ron, sold in various places near supercar factories, test tracks / race tracks etc, or just some filling stations.

So Shell V-Power as shown in  Shell Super Unleaded Adverts / videos, they do not mention that it is not 97, 98 or 99 ron in the F1 cars they are running it on.

Edited by Skoffski

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2019 at 12:29, shyVRS245 said:

Never had a single issue with a AmD remap. They will be preparing 4 touring cars for todays BTCC races from Brands Hatch 370bhp and Tesco Momentum pump fuel with no mechanical issues all season. Luck favours the brave is my life's motto and seems to be working out so far for me and SWMBO. Never skimp on maintenance, tyres and quality remaps pay for themselves in the long run with fuel savings in improvements to mpg/range. All good if you take the right precautions and use quality people.:clap:

BTCC cars have never used Tesco 99 its always been 102 ron race fuel.

On 07/04/2019 at 14:26, Skoffski said:

Amazing, i thought well more than thought actually knew the MSA tested / approved fuel had the level playing field, and the fuels being consistent. 

Quite important even when tuning and testing, just fuel and not the detergents.

http://btcc.net/about/technical-overview

When were teams / cars not using 102 ron?

So are you saying that in the past they ran the BTTC cars on Tesco Momemtum 99 pump fuel produced or supplied by Greenergy because Momentum is on Stickered up BTTC cars?

There is Pump Fuel from Royal Dutch Shell that is 102 ron, sold in various places near supercar factories, test tracks / race tracks etc, or just some filling stations.

So Shell V-Power as shown in  Shell Super Unleaded Adverts / videos, they do not mention that it is not 97, 98 or 99 ron in the F1 cars they are running it on.

they tried it once

@AMD87  They did try it, and film it and hence what i said which you just quoted.   'Pinch of salt, or is that 'sodium' / detergents?

As Alonso said.

"normal fuel we can find in the filling station!"   

We used to get BP 102 ron in a filling station not far from Knockhill.

Note they do not say 98 ron minimum pump fuel Shell V-Power as was available in the UK. Or even 99 Minimum that Shell V-Power Nitro + became in the UK.

It was 102 Octane Minimum as available at Pumps in some places in Italy. *Near test tracks and Super car Factories and in some cities.*

Royal Dutch Shell will be more careful these days with advertising since they were pulled up over the FuelSave in the UK.

& the Green Fuels in North America.

Screenshot 2019-04-20 at 10.02.37.png

Screenshot 2019-04-20 at 10.02.58.png

Screenshot 2019-04-20 at 10.01.18.png

Edited by Skoffski