Fabia Mk1 1.9 diesel - Should I take the plunge?

Hi,

I've always drove Rovers, but my last, a diesel Rover 45 has finally come to the end of its serviceable life.

I have been looking at the Mk1 Fabia estates, and been told by a few people that the 1.9 diesel engines are good cars.  I have a budget of about £3k and thought I would take the plunge into Skoda ownership and start looking for one. 

Am I correct in thinking cruise was only available on the later Elengance models?

If anyone has had a mk1 Fabia diesel estate I would really appreciate some advice on what to look for and whether they felt it was a decent car. 

Many thanks in advance, Luke 

Hi and welcome Luke,

great car powered by a great engine, my wife had a 07 elegence hatch from new and literally cried when she sold it to get a higher driving position 

I think in the 11 years she owned it it averaged 60ish mpg never failed to start or broke down ( had sticky drive throttle X 2 and leaky rear washer pipe, both well documented issues ) we were that impressed I bought 57 plate mk11 version ( build quality not quite as good IMO and still own a 1.9 mk11 fl elegence estate ( wanted the last of the mk1 estates but couldn't find one for love or money

re cruise I think it was always an optional extra but was certainly on the elegence and a few ' special editions ' 

good luke with your search ( there is one on fleaBay as I write ) stick to your guns they are well worth searching out

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Luke83G said:

Hi,

I've always drove Rovers, but my last, a diesel Rover 45 has finally come to the end of its serviceable life.

I have been looking at the Mk1 Fabia estates, and been told by a few people that the 1.9 diesel engines are good cars.  I have a budget of about £3k and thought I would take the plunge into Skoda ownership and start looking for one. 

Am I correct in thinking cruise was only available on the later Elengance models?

If anyone has had a mk1 Fabia diesel estate I would really appreciate some advice on what to look for and whether they felt it was a decent car. 

Many thanks in advance, Luke 

Luke.

This engine was widely used across the VAG group of cars. Take a look on Auto Trader and you will see loads of them carrying mega miles.  As KenONeill says above....service history important. I have owned numerous VW and Skoda cars with this engine and never had a problem.

Good luck

4 hours ago, Luke83G said:

Thanks David for the welcome and for making the effort to write, I really appreciate the comments.  Best wishes, Luke

You're most welcome 

as I said I'd have had one in a flash when looking 4 years ago but opted for the Octavia estate instead as its obvious there are more on the market to choose a good one from 

I'd be looking for a one or two owner car with full history these engines need regular quality oil and filter changes and cam belt water pump every 4 years ( or 60k miles ) 

common issues

sticky accelerator pedal

electric window operation

rear washer pipe leaks

poor radio reception ( amplified aerial base fails )

rust on sill just in front of rear wheel arch

headlight glass goes opaque 

other obvious issue is the last cars sold will be at least 10 years old now but will often be the stereotypical ' one retired owner ' 

car 

Edited by davidwhite

1. Ah cool - maybe retro fitting cruise is the way to go forward then! 

Thanks so much again everyone for taking the time to reply the engines seem very long lived.  Having owned K Series Rover petrol engines in the past, I'm always wary of engine issues. 

Thanks again, Luke

I had a 1.9tdi (PD100) Fabia, bought it with 123k and sold it a year later with 140k on it - never let me down once. Only sold it to buy a VRS, If I had the room and money, I would love to have kept both!!

I absolutely LOVE my 1.9tdi 53 plate. Currently on 182k, got him nearly 6yrs ago on 53k. Done very little work until the last year when I’ve replaced shocks, bushes, alternator, intercooler, ball joints. All just wear and tear. Basic home service twice a year, and due to the roads up here, a good few replacements of the links...!!

Just really look for a car that’s been looked after and not hammered, and silly things for mot like rusty sills are passable as they’re the things that cost money if you can’t weld. Most estates are cared for so you shouldn’t have a problem, happy shopping and look forward to seeing what you find!

• Like 1

The diesel engines in these cars ( and the similar Octavia)  will go beyond 250k miles, provided they are regularly serviced and the belt changed.   

Dont be afraid of picking up anything over 100k miles. Usual rules of buying 2nd hand apply, but just to add, trust your gut when you drive, any tiny concern walk away, make sure you are 101% sure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mk1 1.9sdi year 2000.owned for 16 years ,70 mpg, 740 miles on a tankful! Yes I have had to replace the cam belt, front springs,and wheel bearings.tyres,brake discs ,drums,pads and,shoes.I also had to  stop it letting in water through the windows,when I first got the car.

Not bad for an 18 year old car.My answer to all who make negative posts about model!!

Edited by AndyPandy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tech1e said:

I can help with cruise control.

With your pretty good budget id be looking at a Bohemia special edition, nice spec.

Also consider a 1.4 TDI, not a bad motor by any means.

Ah OK thanks. Is the 1.4 underpowered? 

Personally, I'd say that the 1.4 TDI feels a bit "weak" in comparison to the 1.9 TDI (I have a 1.9, and had a 1.4 as a courtesy car for a week - it was fine when going, but felt more likely to stall when pulling away using just the left foot).

If it helps, I've had my 2004 1.9 TDI since 2009, and the total list of repairs is: replace the brake light sender switch due to burnt contact (£8), engine coolant sensor shorted (£15), and one caliper stuck slightly with handbrake cable attached (I'm assuming a spring had gone tired and didn't have the time to disassemble-and-rebuild). I do mostly shortish (~10 mile, 40mph) commutes, and get about 54mpg.

One thing I would say, is to see if you can look at the emissions from the car's last MOT - the 1.9 TDI has a plate value of 0.6, and will be tested to this, instead of the old default of 3.0.  Mine only just passed with 0.55 this year, despite there being no visible smoke during the test.