Possible Superb!

Hi all. 

Have just joined up as I've never owned a Skoda but have always appreciated them from afar. 

I have always loved the Octavia but for me the Superb is the one!! 

The mk3 Superb I believe is one of if not the best looking executive motors available and I have only just realised (by browsing on Auto trader) how very reasonable a year - 2 year old Superb is to buy!! 

This has now got me thinking...... Perhaps next year I'll treat myself to a Superb! :)

My current car is a Dacia Duster which actually is a great car, which I've had from new and will be a year old in September. 

But I've got a the hankering for a more luxury car that is not the obvious choice which has a lovely interior. 

It will be petrol as I only cover around 8k miles a year. 

Could all you Superb owners give you honest opinions of your car. 

Are they generally reliable? 

Thank you all so much for your replies in advance, and I look forward to reading up on the posts on this forum!! 

Clarkie :)

Edited by Clarkie1978

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

I have had a couple of skoda's in the past (2 x fabia's) before having the Superb and they are worlds apart. The Superb is a fantastic cruiser and by far the quietest and most comfortable car i have ever owned. I have covered just over 20k in 7 months and have loved every trip in it.

My car is a lease car so didnt have much choice in engine spec but i went for the SE technology estate which has everything i need. A little more power would be nice when towing but the 150hp diesel goes just fine. I personally havent driven a petrol version so i cant compare.

You wont be dissapointed if you get one. 

Tom

Edited by TomR88

I've had a 1.4 SEL Executive for 18 months and it's been totally reliable.

The engine coupled to a DSG is  a great combination and it pulls extremely well.

One extra to look out for is the rear sensors and even better the rear camera as this is a very long car.

Go on, you won't regret it!

Mine isn't old enough yet to judge reliability.  That said, I'm very pleased with it so far, its everything I wanted it to be, comfortable, powerful and an effortless cruiser. I've got the 280 petrol SportLine so its also pretty good 'fun' vehicle if you want it to be. As a lifelong manual driver the DSG is a revelation and I wouldn't be without it now. 

Thank you all for your replies and comments. 

When I get one, it'll most probably be the "S" or "SE" as the missus would kill me if I spent loads on a high spec motor. Ideally I'd hold out for a year old low mileage "SE", as I would definitely want rear parking sensors and I'd prefer the higher output 1.4 with 150 BHP as I'd think the 125 BHP 1.4 would be a bit underpowered?

Id love a auto but the whole DSG bring reliable would be in the back of my mind. 

Especially as I would intend on keeping the Superb for many years!! 

:)

Hi all.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

I have been on CARWOW and the best price for a brand new Superb in 'SE' trim with metallic paint from a Skoda dealer is £18k!! :)

It wouldnt be worth buying a year old Superb if i can get a brand new one for £18K

I would take a look at the SEL spec and get CARWOW price for that spec as well. If you are getting 20-25% discounts then the difference in price is not that much and you get a lot more kit for that small increase and I think it makes it a very different vehicle. Useful stuff like bi-xenon headlights; full Columbus infotainment as well 'toys'.

I have had an early MY15 diesel and now have an MY17 petrol. Both have been good cars with the petrol the better for a smooth and quiet ride. No real issues with either; the usual little niggles and fixes that you would get with most new production cars but nothing to be concerned about. 

p.s The model gets a half yearly update and the next is just about on us now. There are some changes to what you get with each spec that will come with that update so check exactly what you are ordering before you go ahead. I dont think the brochure on the Skoda site has been updated yet.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your pictures on the picture thread some time.

Hi ! 5th Skoda for me. First in 2002.

Mine is just approaching 3 years old. Have a 5 year warranty but intend to keep longer.

Reliability ..... Just niggles so far. My last Octavia Scout was a fantastic car but the engine was a time bomb which is the only reason I sold it. See tsi engine probs in Octavia forum. Superb is different engine however so fingers crossed will not suffer from similar problems.

Probs I have had / had that appear to be common. In no particular order.

Rattle from cubby hole area on right of dash 30 mins after picking car up. I fixed with rubber grommet which eventually fell off. Car then fixed itself :-) 

Creak from centre of dash when cold. Only seems to last a few mins.

Vibration between 1800 and 2000 rpm on overrun. Sounds like exhaust shield. Can't be arsed to fix as can only hear when windows down.

Electric Tailgate sometimes does not lock when cold. I'm talking 5' or colder. This can be a right pain in the arse as I have to drive to work with it unlocked. Get to work and it locks fine. Sometimes even locks itself on way. Dealer informed but unable to replicate.

Creaking / groaning suspension noise from front. Have a full thread on this take a look. Currently ok after last fix but fully expect to return in a year or 8k Miles or maybe sooner.

Trim around drivers window lifted. Sorted by dealer last week. Only stuck though and not replaced. I can see a slight dent where it was bent but only if you look carefully at a certain angle in a certain light on Friday the 13th. Has to be a leap year.

Wire in engine bay that is clipped to bulkhead. Noticed on Friday clip had been pulled out and wire had been rubbing on belt. Worn through insulation. Stuck some tape around it but will mention at next service. Just pushed clip back in. Not investigated what wire is.

Carpets are pretty poor quality. Seem exactly the same as every carpet on all my Skoda since 2002. Fabia, Fabia, Octavia, Octavia.

Noticed rear vent broken on right. They seem pretty flimsy . Up and down ok but clip that allows left and right movement broken.

Front vent in dash seized up. Replaced under Warrenty.

Xenons on dip are rubbish even with all the fancy tech. Main beam is great. My 2007 Octavia Elegance had Xenons on dip and Halogen main beam. The dipped Xenons were absolutely fantastic. Much, much better than the Superb.

Old leaves get down the side of the washer bottle that's housed in the offside front wing. Annoying.

Hoovering down the side of the drivers seat where the runner is. Proper pita.... I stick a bit of hose on the end of the hoover and squish it down the side.

Quality of the disks appears to be poor on the rear. Either that or due to the brake design they never seem to clean up properly.

Stop start sometimes turns engine off before you actually stop lol ! This doesn't bother me because a) I never use it b) Even if I did I wouldn't give a flying #### :-)

Paint seems rather brittle at least on my non metallic. Had a few chips in really odd places... On the roof ffs !

Silver trim around windows and on roof rails develops an interesting patina.... According to Skoda this is because the car has been washed with nasty chemicals..... Well my cleaning product expenditure is probably close to the GDP of a small country. The only time it was not washed by me was on the pdi so they either used crap products that knackered the finish on the first go or the finish is inherently  just..... Crap....

Leather seems to be very thin. Daughter scratched rear seats after a day or so.  Not happened since after intensive instruction on rear passengering.

Transparent plastic on instrument pod is crap. You could send it to NASA to be cleaned in one those sterile rooms they build satellites and I bet they would still scratch the #### out of it. Remember that advert for Ajax or whatever where the Skater spins on ice ? That's your instrument cluster glass after 2 weeks.

Just had a leak from near side headlamp washer. See separate thread.

If I think of anything else I'll edit :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clarkie1978 said:

Hi all.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

I have been on CARWOW and the best price for a brand new Superb in 'SE' trim with metallic paint from a Skoda dealer is £18k!! :)

It wouldnt be worth buying a year old Superb if i can get a brand new one for £18K

Try Carfile, they beat Carwow for me but I am a southerner and they expect us all to be rich.

I picked mine up in Mansfield to get a good price.

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

Hi ! 5th Skoda for me. First in 2002.

Mine is just approaching 3 years old. Have a 5 year warranty but intend to keep longer.

Reliability ..... Just niggles so far. My last Octavia Scout was a fantastic car but the engine was a time bomb which is the only reason I sold it. See tsi engine probs in Octavia forum. Superb is different engine however so fingers crossed will not suffer from similar problems.

Probs I have had / had that appear to be common. In no particular order.

Rattle from cubby hole area on right of dash 30 mins after picking car up. I fixed with rubber grommet which eventually fell off. Car then fixed itself :-) 

Creak from centre of dash when cold. Only seems to last a few mins.

Vibration between 1800 and 2000 rpm on overrun. Sounds like exhaust shield. Can't be arsed to fix as can only hear when windows down.

Electric Tailgate sometimes does not lock when cold. I'm talking 5' or colder. This can be a right pain in the arse as I have to drive to work with it unlocked. Get to work and it locks fine. Sometimes even locks itself on way. Dealer informed but unable to replicate.

Creaking / groaning suspension noise from front. Have a full thread on this take a look. Currently ok after last fix but fully expect to return in a year or 8k Miles or maybe sooner.

Trim around drivers window lifted. Sorted by dealer last week. Only stuck though and not replaced. I can see a slight dent where it was bent but only if you look carefully at a certain angle in a certain light on Friday the 13th. Has to be a leap year.

Wire in engine bay that is clipped to bulkhead. Noticed on Friday clip had been pulled out and wire had been rubbing on belt. Worn through insulation. Stuck some tape around it but will mention at next service. Just pushed clip back in. Not investigated what wire is.

Carpets are pretty poor quality. Seem exactly the same as every carpet on all my Skoda since 2002. Fabia, Fabia, Octavia, Octavia.

Noticed rear vent broken on right. They seem pretty flimsy . Up and down ok but clip that allows left and right movement broken.

Front vent in dash seized up. Replaced under Warrenty.

Xenons on dip are rubbish even with all the fancy tech. Main beam is great. My 2007 Octavia Elegance had Xenons on dip and Halogen main beam. The dipped Xenons were absolutely fantastic. Much, much better than the Superb.

Old leaves get down the side of the washer bottle that's housed in the offside front wing. Annoying.

Hoovering down the side of the drivers seat where the runner is. Proper pita.... I stick a bit of hose on the end of the hoover and squish it down the side.

Quality of the disks appears to be poor on the rear. Either that or due to the brake design they never seem to clean up properly.

Stop start sometimes turns engine off before you actually stop lol ! This doesn't bother me because a) I never use it b) Even if I did I wouldn't give a flying #### :-)

Paint seems rather brittle at least on my non metallic. Had a few chips in really odd places... On the roof ffs !

Silver trim around windows and on roof rails develops an interesting patina.... According to Skoda this is because the car has been washed with nasty chemicals..... Well my cleaning product expenditure is probably close to the GDP of a small country. The only time it was not washed by me was on the pdi so they either used crap products that knackered the finish on the first go or the finish is inherently  just..... Crap....

Leather seems to be very thin. Daughter scratched rear seats after a day or so.  Not happened since after intensive instruction on rear passengering.

Transparent plastic on instrument pod is crap. You could send it to NASA to be cleaned in one those sterile rooms they build satellites and I bet they would still scratch the #### out of it. Remember that advert for Ajax or whatever where the Skater spins on ice ? That's your instrument cluster glass after 2 weeks.

Just had a leak from near side headlamp washer. See separate thread.

If I think of anything else I'll edit :)

Thank you for the detailed experiences you have found with your Superb. 

Would these little niggles put you off of having another? Or would you advise a potential buyer (me!) against buying a Superb, or is a Octavia a better buy?? 

22 minutes ago, facet edge said:

Try Carfile, they beat Carwow for me but I am a southerner and they expect us all to be rich.

I picked mine up in Mansfield to get a good price.

Great thanks, I'll have a butchers on there! :)

I’ve had a Superb 2011 Elegance for 4 years, couldn’t be happier about it, lots of car and features for the money, choosing a similar specced Volvo would cost you 5k extra easily.

It eventually resulted in an upgrade just weeks ago, to a Superb 2015 L&K (model year 2016), which is just fantastic to drive, super comfortable, and the engine (190hp TDI) is really really powerful as well, I read somewhere that it did 0-100kmph in less than 8 seconds! 

Beautiful car too, their current design is just fantastic.

But I’ve had some annoying experiences too:

- A tailgate that opens by mistake if I have the remote in the pocket, usually happens if I have my youngest kid on my lap. I don’t get why the range for opening it is like 30 meters, I can probably be at the back of my house and open the tailgate at the front. It’s honestly an annoying function unless you never have the keys in your pocket.

- Automatic Start/Stop function that I simply don’t like, seems like it’ll drain the battery and kill the starting engine faster than it would without it. I’m about to deactivate it through OBD2 though.

- Opening the tailgate with the foot works in maybe 2 out of 5 ”kicks”.

- adBlue check is misbehaving, pops up now and then and says I can drive 1000km and says after that it won’t start, it has said that for 3 weeks now. Warranty fix.

- Kessy start and stop works in 1 out of 3 button presses. Warranty fix. 

- scroll wheel on the steering wheel is unresponsive. Warranty fix.

- 3 years old and the brake discs are quite corroded. Not what I’m used to.

- tow bar is stuck, fortunately in the out position.

I might have bad luck though so don’t read too much into this. And I still love the car. Can’t see myself having anything else tbh, I’ll probably just go from Superb to Superb from now on. That’s an okay review score I’d say ;)

Edited by jaggafredde

1 hour ago, Clarkie1978 said:

Thank you for the detailed experiences you have found with your Superb. 

Would these little niggles put you off of having another? Or would you advise a potential buyer (me!) against buying a Superb, or is a Octavia a better buy?? 

No absolutley not put me off and yes would have another. If I had enough time to write the positives I would be here all week !

Love the car. It's great fun.

Octavia v Superb ? No chance. I've had 2 Octavias. Great car but not in same league.

Edited by Nick_H

3 hours ago, jaggafredde said:

I’ve had a Superb 2011 Elegance for 4 years, couldn’t be happier about it, lots of car and features for the money, choosing a similar specced Volvo would cost you 5k extra easily.

It eventually resulted in an upgrade just weeks ago, to a Superb 2015 L&K (model year 2016), which is just fantastic to drive, super comfortable, and the engine (190hp TDI) is really really powerful as well, I read somewhere that it did 0-100kmph in less than 8 seconds! 

Beautiful car too, their current design is just fantastic.

But I’ve had some annoying experiences too:

- A tailgate that opens by mistake if I have the remote in the pocket, usually happens if I have my youngest kid on my lap. I don’t get why the range for opening it is like 30 meters, I can probably be at the back of my house and open the tailgate at the front. It’s honestly an annoying function unless you never have the keys in your pocket.

- Automatic Start/Stop function that I simply don’t like, seems like it’ll drain the battery and kill the starting engine faster than it would without it. I’m about to deactivate it through OBD2 though.

- Opening the tailgate with the foot works in maybe 2 out of 5 ”kicks”.

- adBlue check is misbehaving, pops up now and then and says I can drive 1000km and says after that it won’t start, it has said that for 3 weeks now. Warranty fix.

- Kessy start and stop works in 1 out of 3 button presses. Warranty fix. 

- scroll wheel on the steering wheel is unresponsive. Warranty fix.

- 3 years old and the brake discs are quite corroded. Not what I’m used to.

- tow bar is stuck, fortunately in the out position.

I might have bad luck though so don’t read too much into this. And I still love the car. Can’t see myself having anything else tbh, I’ll probably just go from Superb to Superb from now on. That’s an okay review score I’d say ;)

Cheers Jaggafredde for your experiences and opinions on the Superb. I bet your 190 really flies along!! :)

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

No absolutley not put me off and yes would have another. If I had enough time to write the positives I would be here all week !

Love the car. It's great fun.

Octavia v Superb ? No chance. I've had 2 Octavias. Great car but not in same league.

Cheers Nick. 

I love the look of the Octavia but for me, the Superb looks epic. 

It's extremely stylish and a little menacing looking from the front. 

It's so different looking to everything else on the road and I really cannot see why people would pick an Audi or a Bimmer over a Superb??? 

• Thanks 1

Clarkie, what are you waiting for?! I've had my 2017 Superb 2.0 SEL for ten days and could not be more pleased with it. After owning four Volvo v70 estates and a Renault Espace the Skoda is a complete revelation. As you say it not only looks great but is also ridiculously roomy and goes like a bomb if you want or need to, even fully loaded with gear & passengers on a long run. I've not yet completely given up using the stop start (which does take some getting used to and can be annoying - especially when it doesn't work when you expect it to and vice versa- an interesting thread on this reassured me I wasn't alone) and am too new to have experienced any other serious niggles so far. I tested an Octavia, which at my dealership was on at the same

price (a shade under £20k) for 17 plates and sub 9000 miles on both - and both with plenty of toys. No competition. As soon as I took the Superb out I was smitten. Just wish it wasn't called Superb- what a totally daft name for a car.  Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Thanks alpinehut. 

What am I waiting for??? Well i have a reputation for constantly changing my car. On many occasions I've come home and announced that I've bought a new car and my wife would hit the roof!! :)

My current car was brand new when I picked her up, and she'll only be a year old at the end of next month. 

I've got a Duster which only cost £10995 and is a great car actually but I keep on seeing the odd Superb here and there and I've got to have one! After having a butchers on Auto trader one day, I had never realised how cheap a year old Superb is!!!! 

So unfortunately I've got to wait a year or two before getting a Superb, but I always like to do my research and join a forum etc, etc. 

Plus by then I believe the facelift Superb will be out. Not that I think it needs facelifting but I'll have the choice of both styles.

Out of interest, has anyone driven the Superb with the 1.4 125 output engine? 

Cheers once again everyone!! :)

For £18000 you could get a car like the one in the foreground.....

5.5 litre V8, 0-60 in just over 4.5 seconds, hard top convertible and more smiles to the gallon than you have ever had in your life. You are only here for around 60 useful years and will be dead for eternity....

Or, buy a 1.4 DSG SEL Executive and be pleased..... I am pleased with mine.

received_1289522111192186.jpeg

Edited by vfrvrs
  • Like 2

Hi everyone. 

Sorry for the late reply as I've been on holiday and the phone reception and WiFi was terrible!! 

I just wanted to thank you all again for your help and comments. 

Vfrvrs - I'd love your Merc but unfortunately it wouldn't fit 3 of us into it. I guess I could strap my 5 year old son onto the roof!! :D

But I love the shade of blue your Superb is. Its different to what you normally see and it really suits it. I'm guessing it's not a metallic shade of blue? 

"Quality of the disks appears to be poor on the rear. Either that or due to the brake design they never seem to clean up properly."

I've noticed this even after a 2000 mile holiday.  Both discs look like they've been standing around for a few days (signs of prior use but appear unpolished and some surface rust).  I keep meaning to feel the temperature of the discs after a journey to see if they are actually being used.  Maybe I am not braking hard enough.

Clarkie you won't regret it. I've had my Superb L&K 2.0tsi (220) dsg for almost 2 years now which is completely unheard of - up until this car I had a new one every year...

I've had the odd niggle here and there but a lot of it was my OCD lol... Skoda (Simpson's, Preston) have been fantastic and have replaced a few bits under warranty with no fuss at all.

I originally wanted an A6 Avant, but after reading about the Superb and seeing all the review videos I just had to try it out as it seemed a bargain. I test drove mine which was ex-Skoda management 3k miles on the clock and a few extras, and I bought it the day after, just fell in love. It was a year old and cost me £25k.

I compared that with what I would have paid for a similar A6 with the same features (they're all extras on Audi, the Superb L&K has everything standard) and the build was £58k!!

Mine is the 220bhp 2 litre engine which is the same engine as the golf GTI mk7. It goes like stink when hoofing it, but when cruising nicely it's so quiet and comfortable. Struggles for traction a bit when it's wet, that's where you need a 280 4x4 but I couldn't afford to buy/run one.

I've done quite a few things to mine over the time I've had it, check out my thread here

All the best and welcome to the site

Drew :biggrin:

18 minutes ago, drewellis said:

Clarkie you won't regret it. I've had my Superb L&K 2.0tsi (220) dsg for almost 2 years now which is completely unheard of - up until this car I had a new one every year...

I've had the odd niggle here and there but a lot of it was my OCD lol... Skoda (Simpson's, Preston) have been fantastic and have replaced a few bits under warranty with no fuss at all.

I originally wanted an A6 Avant, but after reading about the Superb and seeing all the review videos I just had to try it out as it seemed a bargain. I test drove mine which was ex-Skoda management 3k miles on the clock and a few extras, and I bought it the day after, just fell in love. It was a year old and cost me £25k.

I compared that with what I would have paid for a similar A6 with the same features (they're all extras on Audi, the Superb L&K has everything standard) and the build was £58k!!

Mine is the 220bhp 2 litre engine which is the same engine as the golf GTI mk7. It goes like stink when hoofing it, but when cruising nicely it's so quiet and comfortable. Struggles for traction a bit when it's wet, that's where you need a 280 4x4 but I couldn't afford to buy/run one.

I've done quite a few things to mine over the time I've had it, check out my thread here

All the best and welcome to the site

Drew :biggrin:

Hi Drew. 

Thanks for your comments. 

I've just read through the thread on your Superb and its a beauty!! 

I never would have considered one in white but yours looks epic!! 

• Like 1

Do Skodas suffer with the same issues that VW's have, bring part of the VAG group after all? 

It's just you know how apparently everyone wants a VW and how the motoring press go crazy for VeeDubs, but if you look up their reliability and issues, they have a list of faults and problems as long as your arm!!? 

13 hours ago, Clarkie1978 said:

Hi Drew. 

Thanks for your comments. 

I've just read through the thread on your Superb and its a beauty!! 

I never would have considered one in white but yours looks epic!! 

Thanks Clarkie I never considered a white one before either but fell in love with it..

Regarding your vw question I think they're probably all about the same, as you say most components are shared. I have heard though, that vw customer service is absolutely shocking compared with Skoda, but where I am in the north west I'm lucky as Simpson's seem really good as they are a skoda franchise whereas the local vw garages are owned by Lookers or similar.