DSG Paddels

darnell

On mine too, not sure if I will use them, need to get a hang of using the car and understand the benefits. Driven a manual all my driving life so not really aufait with them.

Valid question and some correct answers regarding vehicles already built, but until Skoda release specs for MY2019 Karoqs the answer has to be (for a new factory build) "don't know".  And MY2019 is what Skoda is/will be producing once production commences after summer shut-down, which I was told ended 6th Aug. Seems as if Skoda UK are keeping their dealers (and the buying public!) in the dark at the moment and it is always possible that they will remove the paddles as standard fit on DSG models and put them into the options list (ie at additional cost).  Although, speaking with my dealer he doesn't expect there to be much shift in spec from MY2018 models.  There is already information on this forum regarding known changes for MY2019 and nothing mentioned about changes to paddle shifts.

olly_shaw:  What do you mean about an option to have larger paddles?  Is that a standard Skoda option - I haven't seen anything?

2 hours ago, Portman said:

Valid question and some correct answers regarding vehicles already built, but until Skoda release specs for MY2019 Karoqs the answer has to be (for a new factory build) "don't know".  And MY2019 is what Skoda is/will be producing once production commences after summer shut-down, which I was told ended 6th Aug. Seems as if Skoda UK are keeping their dealers (and the buying public!) in the dark at the moment and it is always possible that they will remove the paddles as standard fit on DSG models and put them into the options list (ie at additional cost).  Although, speaking with my dealer he doesn't expect there to be much shift in spec from MY2018 models.  There is already information on this forum regarding known changes for MY2019 and nothing mentioned about changes to paddle shifts.

olly_shaw:  What do you mean about an option to have larger paddles?  Is that a standard Skoda option - I haven't seen anything?

Digital Dash is deffo an option for MY19 (on Kodiaq, Superb and Octavia too)

6 hours ago, Portman said:

@postman I've had a look over the brochure. I'm not sure where I got that from. Must have been a sales rep. 

Disregard, sorry!

Just now, Alltaken said:

The configurator for an SEL DSG shows the below as an option, I'm guessing it must have paddles on the standard steering wheel also? or only on the heated version?

Capture.PNG

I think the paddles are there anyway but no heated wheel , this is the option for a heated wheel (with paddles of course). Otherwise you would have separate option for just the paddles without heating if that makes sense like on the Superb for example.

7 hours ago, olly_shaw said:

Yes fitted as standard. The option is to have bigger paddles (you don't need that).

I don't use them very often. Sometimes as an alternative to a kickdown on a flat road. More for fun than anything :-)

'bigger paddles'  as in longer/extend further upwards? 

1 hour ago, olly_shaw said:

I'm not sure where I got that from. Must have been a sales rep. 

46 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

'bigger paddles'  as in longer/extend further upwards?

Someone on Briskoda did post about replacing the standard paddles and retrofitting ones from another model. They were definitely longer and stuck up higher.  It was not a factory option.

3 hours ago, TheRobinK said:

Someone on Briskoda did post about replacing the standard paddles and retrofitting ones from another model. They were definitely longer and stuck up higher.  It was not a factory option.

Yeah they appear to stick to the original stubby paddles with 3M tape!:tongueout:

10 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Yeah they appear to stick to the original stubby paddles with 3M tape!:tongueout:

I have this type.  I'm inclined to disagree with what was said above about them not being needed.  The factory fit paddles are far too short for when you need to change gear, holding the wheel at 'ten to two'.  The stick on paddle extensions are much better IME; I don't need to change hand positions or even move them away from the wheel, just drop my pinky and "pew pew pew" :biggrin: 

Edited by penguin17
  • Haha 1

Never used them, probably never will. I bought a DSG so that I did not need to keep changing gears manually. Smaller the better for me so that I don't see them when driving. Would have preferred an option to omitt them but hey ho, what ever floats your boats. 

I've never had the opportunity to try the paddles. Please check this out for me:

Waiting at standstill in auto D at a junction. Will a pull at the left paddle (still at standstill) engage first gear and the temporary manual mode for me to manage the gear-shifting when I pull out and merge into traffic?

Edited by agedbriar

35 minutes ago, agedbriar said:

I've never had the opportunity to try the paddles. Please check this out for me:

Waiting at standstill in auto D at a junction. Will a pull at the left paddle (still at standstill) engage first gear and the temporary manual mode for me to manage the gear-shifting when I pull out and merge into traffic?

Not in the Superb it doesn't.  When you come to a stop automatic mode steps in, though you can select D or S but I can't override that with manual mode (paddles or shifter) when the car is stationary. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, agedbriar said:

Ah, too bad! So what happens if while stationary you move the shifter to manual and then pull out?

I will try in about 1 hr and let you know.  I always use the paddles to switch to manual mode, not the shifter.  I usually do switch to S mode when at busy junctions, roundabouts etc as it holds the gearing longer, better IME. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, agedbriar said:

Ah, too bad! So what happens if while stationary you move the shifter to manual and then pull out?

It stays in manual - M1 till you shift up with either paddles or shifter.

• Thanks 1

Five days later ...
Unfortunately, in the current options list the optional steering wheel with paddles for 82 euro isn't listed any more.

Actually, no version with paddles at all. :crying:

Oops, now they are back!?

Edited by agedbriar