Switch from Octavia VRS

Currently have a 2010 Octavia VRS from new, which I've loved, but ready to change - probably for something around a year old.

A newer VRS was the obvious choice (230) but I'm struggling to see past the change in the front lights being split in 2, which puts me more in favour of the pre-face-lift! Took one for a test drive - but spoiled by the fact there was a clear fault with the car, really juddery when breaking - there was an engine management light on. Engine was noticeably louder when accelerating.

Then I took a Superb TSI 220 SportLine for a drive - felt really nice, comfortable, more refined, seemed more spec'd as standard, and I really like the look of it.  Just the extra size that's a small niggle.

Any things to look out for/be aware of with the SportLine? Anyone else made the same switch from the Oct VRS? I don't do that many miles, mostly short journeys as I work from home.

I switched one year ago from 2014 VRS Tdi (manual) to Superb 190 HP-Tdi (DSG). Both hatch.

Overall I don`t fell bad for this change. Superb is more refined drive, but still... sometimes I miss that sporty feeling that VRS was giving.

I find the sport suspension very soft on Superb, but I also found out that Superb is sitting better in corners than my previous VRS Tdi (heavy on the front). I never drove DCC Superb... I understood that it is better than simple sport suspension. You might want to try that.

I HATE :) throttle response in case of my Superb.... you can fix that wit pedal box.

So, my advice: 

1. Get Superb with DCC suspension, or sport suspension and upgrade it.

2. Get and instal pedal box.

The result will be a great car.

2 hours ago, SlimAdy said:

Currently have a 2010 Octavia VRS from new, which I've loved, but ready to change - probably for something around a year old.

A newer VRS was the obvious choice (230) but I'm struggling to see past the change in the front lights being split in 2, which puts me more in favour of the pre-face-lift! Took one for a test drive - but spoiled by the fact there was a clear fault with the car, really juddery when breaking - there was an engine management light on. Engine was noticeably louder when accelerating.

Then I took a Superb TSI 220 SportLine for a drive - felt really nice, comfortable, more refined, seemed more spec'd as standard, and I really like the look of it.  Just the extra size that's a small niggle.

Any things to look out for/be aware of with the SportLine? Anyone else made the same switch from the Oct VRS? I don't do that many miles, mostly short journeys as I work from home.

I have recently changed also from a 2010 octy vrs race blue to a black superb 220 sportline. (about 1 month ago) can say ive not regretted one bit. Car is way nicer than octy imo. As you say more refined. Sportline is nicely specced imo.  Size difference isnt really that noticeable when driving. You notice the length when parking a bit but with front and rear sensors as standard its not too much of an issue. Mine has the reverse camera as well which helps.  

Ah that's something I needed to check re: sensors. All ads I've seen have said rear sensors, but not mentioned front. So that's good to know.

Just need to mull over the price difference I think!

Just double check the spec mine is a 67 plate only 8 months old, but im sure it was standard on mine....  Are you looking at a brand new one or a used one? 

A lot have mentioned but the canton is a really good system, i have this on mine and love it with the new large screen columbus. 

3 hours ago, SlimAdy said:

Just the extra size that's a small niggle.

Yes, sir! But after a couple of months of getting the feel of it, and learning to bypass parking spots you used to fit into, you'll come to love it. And, as U241170 suggested, get the pedal box.

i went, after 6 yrs from new with an MY11 mk2 Octavia RS (TSI, APR Stg 2+, APR exhaust, DSG Tune and Eibach Springs), to a MY17 mk3 Superb TSi 220.

from Sprint Yellow to Business Grey!!

i'm very very happy with the change, even though i miss the meanace of the RS.

the Superb is not as agile and menacing as the RS - rather its more of a cruiser, with power on demand :)

its very nice, relaxed and smart looking,.

I switched from a 2015 Octavia SEL to a 2017 Superb SEL - Both 150 diesels

I was conscious of the size, particularly the width,  for a couple of weeks but don't notice now.   

Superb is a big car for sure but if you're used to an Octavia I don't think the transition to the new dimensions will be hard. I went from a Leon estate to a Superb and felt fine from day one.  The Suberb feels bigger than it actually is due to the use of available interior space IMO.

Despite my statement above, defo get front sensors.   They aren't (or weren't) standard on a MY17 or MY18 Sportline.  

Also, if you don't do that many miles then...can you go for the 280?  I switched from commuting 90 miles a day to being home based and it allowed me to cease being a slave to running costs/economy, e.g a diesel and the 220 Sportline was a consideration but I just thought "in for a penny...".  Pricing and running costs aren't too dissimilar on the 280 vs 220 and my latest insurance quote is cheaper than the insurance on my 150 TDI Sportline, by quite a bit too! (Ok so quotes are very dependent on circumstances but it was just to illustrate that the 280 isn't the money pit I thought it was going to be)

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Adrian55555 said:

I always thought front and rear sensors are standard.  Just checked brochure and it shows SE has front and rear parking sensors which the sportline is based on.

No, not the same.  The spec of the SE / SE L was a little more generous in some areas, e.g F & R sensors and electric tailgate.  Whereas the Sportline had the Columbus, LED interior lighting,  as examples.   Basically you forego some options to offset the cost of the cosmetic 'enhancement's of the Sportline.  

This is based on when I ordered a MY17 and MY18 car so spec/standard kit has likely changed, as per the brochure above. 

Edited by penguin17