Columbus Nav Update Woes .....

Hi, I am having major issues updating my SE L Columbus Satnav.

I have tried 2 different sd cards both 32gb class 10, and 2 different usb sticks both 32gb. Drives are formated FAT32 (4096) with MBR partitions, tried on both MAC and Windows, using native cli disk partion tools and sd formatter, and on the mac after copying the extracted data from the update portal download (text file and 2 directories, MIB1 and MIB2) cleaned the drive using CleanMyDrive. Nothing works.

Turn on car.

Wait for Columbus to boot up.

Insert sd card / usb stick.

Columbus displays banner on top of screen :- Software Update. (Brilliant i think).

Go into settings / version / update.

Columbus displays spinner :- searching for updates. (Time passes).

Then displays and error :-  no update found or check update source.

Exactly the same happens if i try and update through the nav menus.

What is slightly odd is between the searching spinner, and the error no update found, there is a very brief flash of what looks like country names, however this could be the data displayed prior to press the update button.

Any help would be more than welcome.

I had a similar issue with the ECE18/19 update. It was the download itself that was the problem. Painful I know, but I'd recommend you to re-do the download to a pc and try again. The 18/19 download was far more problematic for me than the 18, which worked perfectly first time. 

First I tried direct online update with Columbus Columbus connected to my 80mb/s WiFi - which involved removing the sim as that stops creating  such a connection. Initially seemed to go well, but exceedingly slow,  but kept randomly choking  at late stage of downloading. Cancel throws everything away and you have to start again. Eventually gave up after wasting about 3 or 4 hours of my life and draining the battery as ignition had to be on for WiFi to work.

Had to recharge the battery.

Plan B, home computer online Skoda portal download, input VIN as requested. Initial download is a proprietary downloader. Ran the Skoda downloader and it downloaded a 22gb zip file to the computer and then it asked for an SD card. Used an old Kingston class 10 U1 32gb micro sd in a full size adapter. Quick formatted it in Win 10 using FAT32, default allocation, (4k allocation is not even an option on win10) and clicked continue/unpack. Left for a couple of hours and eventually finished. Speed is limited by the class 10 card which limits writes at between 10 - 12 Mbytes/sec.

With car ignition off and Columbus turned off, (Sim was also still removed) inserted the SD card into SD1 position. Turned on Columbus (but not ignition). Went to Menu, scrolled screen and selected Settings then system, update (may not be the exact names/options, but you get the idea) Followed on screen instructions and left for about 30mins, update installed ok!

Note ignition doesn't need to be on! Portal download doesn't work with XP, I used Win10 (approx 1 year out of date)

Edited by xman

Ok re-downloaded this time got the download.exe (Skoda app) instead of a straight zip file. Let it do it's shizzle, and write to SD card, one I had used above.

Plugged in to Columbus, Update, 30 mins later done.

So I suspect that the download app is doing something else, other than simply extracting the zip, say with 7zip.

I think the source of the issue is I originally downloaded the zip from the portal on my Mac. So they obviously don't have a proprietary downloader for osx.

So the moral is, only do this on Windows box.  I'd love to know what else the proprietary app does, but don't really have the time to investigate.

Hope this helps someone lol.

Edited by andrewmbourne

20 hours ago, andrewmbourne said:

So I suspect that the download app is doing something else, other than simply extracting the zip, say with 7zip.

I've used the direct download links for the past year but I seem to remember the download app Is a download manager - you can shut down and restart say 2 days later and It resumes the download form where it left off.

Guys thought id post a fix for the latest map issues some of us have been having. No matter  what I did Columbus would not detect  the latest map update P71 for me, and it was downloaded using the download manager from Skoda on. Windows PC.

I stumbled across a post stating that the latest Skoda maps (P71) are missing a "truffles" folder from the zip package which is why the update will not install. The workaround is to download the VW maps which are packaged correctly - this will then update from Columbus. Make sure you download the correct maps for your unit, in my case Discover Pro. You can find them here https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/maps/sg/en/index.html

The SD card does not need to be formatted to fat32 and can be exfat or NTFS apparently

Edited by dfirman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2018 at 12:04, dfirman said:

Guys thought id post a fix for the latest map issues some of us have been having. No matter  what I did Columbus would not detect  the latest map update P71 for me, and it was downloaded using the download manager from Skoda on. Windows PC.

I stumbled across a post stating that the latest Skoda maps (P71) are missing a "truffles" folder from the zip package which is why the update will not install. The workaround is to download the VW maps which are packaged correctly - this will then update from Columbus. Make sure you download the correct maps for your unit, in my case Discover Pro. You can find them here https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/maps/sg/en/index.html

The SD card does not need to be formatted to fat32 and can be exfat or NTFS apparently

Is Discover Pro the VW name for Columbus?

As dfirman above states, NFTS formatted SD /USB sticks may apparently work. I can confirm that NFTS works just fine.

Can't speak for other formats as I just went straight in and tried it on NFTS (dispite what the instructions said). It worked with zero issues.

Edited by blahde2
Added a name

I've just successfully updated using the VW maps (Discovery Pro == Columbus). The Skoda download is missing the truffles folder - whether the USB stick (in my case) was NTFS or FAT32 made no difference, nor did the block size.

As long as u pick a VW with the DiscoverPro Unit.

For example Golf GTi, or Passat, or Arteon.
I used the Passat.
Another mate use Golf GTi.

Main thing is that it is the DiscoverPro update, if you have a Columbus unit in ur Skoda.

Briskoda thread:  https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/453337-map-update/?page=2

VW map download link: https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

Edited by mabnz

On 01/09/2018 at 14:23, xman said:

First I tried direct online update with Columbus Columbus connected to my 80mb/s WiFi - which involved removing the sim as that stops creating  such a connection. Initially seemed to go well, but exceedingly slow,  but kept randomly choking  at late stage of downloading. Cancel throws everything away and you have to start again. Eventually gave up after wasting about 3 or 4 hours of my life and draining the battery as ignition had to be on for WiFi to work.

Had to recharge the battery.

Plan B, home computer online Skoda portal download, input VIN as requested. Initial download is a proprietary downloader. Ran the Skoda downloader and it downloaded a 22gb zip file to the computer and then it asked for an SD card. Used an old Kingston class 10 U1 32gb micro sd in a full size adapter. Quick formatted it in Win 10 using FAT32, default allocation, (4k allocation is not even an option on win10) and clicked continue/unpack. Left for a couple of hours and eventually finished. Speed is limited by the class 10 card which limits writes at between 10 - 12 Mbytes/sec.

With car ignition off and Columbus turned off, (Sim was also still removed) inserted the SD card into SD1 position. Turned on Columbus (but not ignition). Went to Menu, scrolled screen and selected Settings then system, update (may not be the exact names/options, but you get the idea) Followed on screen instructions and left for about 30mins, update installed ok!

Note ignition doesn't need to be on! Portal download doesn't work with XP, I used Win10 (approx 1 year out of date)

Did the same this afternoon. Straightforward if a little slow with the unpacking ( 36bytes per sec).Took about 30 mins updating in the Columbus. 

• 3 weeks later...