What's the furthest distance you've taken your Superb?

A competition for the weekend...:biggrin:

As per the title, with a couple of caveats. We are looking for the furthest point away from your home address, when measured in a straight line. So the tour from London to Prague via Berlin and back via Paris would be recorded as London - Prague; 645 miles / 1,039 km.

Mine is utterly pathetic, which is what caused me to create the thread in the first place. In 8 months, and 20k miles it's never ended up parked more than 70 miles away from home in a straight line. The furthest it's ever been from its current home is when it was at the dealer I picked it up from (and I don't think that really counts)!

So... Bristol - Reading; 69 miles as the crow flies (89 miles driving - lots and lots and lots of times).

Let's hear from some better-travelled Briskodians and their Superbs!

Not in a Superb but my little MK1 Fabia vRS, but have had it  428 miles between Bristol and Laangdraft, which is  in holland, nestled between Belgium and Germany.

Not checked what it would be for the Southern French Alps yet :biggrin:

We drove from here (in France just south of Geneva) to the tip of mainland Greece (Cape Tainaron) and back this summer - over 5,000 kms! Went via the Balkans and got a ferry from Patras-Ancona on the return. Longest single journey was 1140 (apart from a break for sandwiches) - the first day. We set off at 3am as the Mont Blanc tunnel website said that it would be getting busy by 4 - I've seen tailbacks there that were probably kilometres long, so wanted to avoid any chance of getting caught up in one. Totally unnecessary as there was little traffic when we got there at 430. Got to the place we were spending the first night in Croatia as fresh as a daisy - the Superb is epic over long journeys. It also had a ton of our stuff in the back even with the boot cover in place. Fuel consumption was good too - though less so in Greece, I guess because of the mountainous terrain and windy roads.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

We drove from here (in France just south of Geneva) to the tip of mainland Greece (Cape Tainaron) and back this summer - over 5,000 kms! 

That's some journey @The Wanderer! Straight line distance 1,083 miles if I've got it right.

image.png.ba8fad4a5f8c97f1c45a53e8c7941da1.png

If so we have an early leader...

Summer of 74 iirc, drove a Buick from Detroit to Los Angeles with my sister. Paid $100 to deliver the car, in those days cheapest way dealers could deliver to West coast.

Route 66, stopping at usual tourist points inc Grand Canyon and through Death Valley. 2000 miles as the crow flies.

Hot, no a/c!

Furthest in Superb, 140 miles

Edited by xman

Tutt, tutt BriskodaJeff!!

For years we have the 'mine is bigger than yours' and you now start 'who has the longest' :D:D:D

Mine is a mere 730 miles long between deepest Somerset and Vipiteno in Italy. That is when absolutely straight; in real life it is 853 miles but rarely straight.

Edited by Sagalout
typo
  • Haha 2

On 14/09/2018 at 14:55, BriskodaJeff said:

That's some journey @The Wanderer! Straight line distance 1,083 miles if I've got it right. 

That's it more or less - you put in Cape Matapan instead of Tainaron (about 10 miles further). Took over a couple of weeks to get there. Hadn't read your original post closely enough - didn't realise it was as the crow flies distance you were interested in.

• Like 1

I can easily (and often do) rack up 1000 miles in a weekend in mine. Comes with the job as gigs can be anywhere and everywhere.

Had a mad weekend recently having done: Manchester - Sheffield - Manchester - Glasgow - Manchester - Colchester - Lincoln - Millport (Isle of Cumbrae - Scotland) - Manchester - Wolverhampton - Manchester... All back to back, then two days off followed by Manchester to Swindon, back to Manchester, down to Peterborough and back to Manchester again.

Luckily the big run was split over a couple of cars, but it gives an idea of how silly my mileage can be. I've not done anything long distance as in driving to South of France or anything, but the UK tours I end up on don't half add up! Can't fault the comfort and economy though, I've sat in it for six hours straight with no stop and had no issue at all. My only gripe is going for the manual and not auto model.

• Like 2

Cheers @Goblin - this was one of the reasons for seeing what others are up to in their cars. I was pretty staggered to realise that after 8 months and 20,000 miles, the furthest my car had actually travelled was less than 70 miles from my front door! So I was interested to see how others were getting on. I think you beat my 70 miles pretty comfortably, but in "as the crow flies" terms, you are probably in the lower part of the leader-board. You need to get on an international tour!:)

2 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Cheers @Goblin - this was one of the reasons for seeing what others are up to in their cars. I was pretty staggered to realise that after 8 months and 20,000 miles, the furthest my car had actually travelled was less than 70 miles from my front door! So I was interested to see how others were getting on. I think you beat my 70 miles pretty comfortably, but in "as the crow flies" terms, you are probably in the lower part of the leader-board. You need to get on an international tour!:)

It's amazing how it adds up... as for the international tours, tour busses and drivers exist for that ;) So far in my gig career I've never had to drive myself outside of the UK :D

I'm half way through my Italian trip. The furthest point is Sicily and we'll take in Salzburg on the way home. It's about 3,000 miles.

Driving in Genoa, Naples and Sicily has to be experienced to be believed. Thank god I rode motorcycles for so many years and have learned to anticipate what other driver are going to do and have actual eyes in the back of my head. Utterly amazing...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drove Teesside to Sorrento in Italy last September with stops in Germany and Italy. Dont know about crow flies distance, but clocked up 4400 miles for the whole trip. Doing it again next may but Superb will have gone back by then. Doubt it will be in a Superb next time....Passat more likely!!!...controversial. 

23 hours ago, freelunch said:

I'm half way through my Italian trip. The furthest point is Sicily and we'll take in Salzburg on the way home. It's about 3,000 miles.

Driving in Genoa, Naples and Sicily has to be experienced to be believed. Thank god I rode motorcycles for so many years and have learned to anticipate what other driver are going to do and have actual eyes in the back of my head. Utterly amazing...

In Sicily was the only time I have ever seen a car overtaking a car that was already overtaking. It was a two lane road but it was just wide enough. :o

885 miles to Fieberbrunn, Austria on a skiing holiday in 2017

Left at 7pm Friday, arrived 13:00 Saturday

Same journey planned Feb 2019....hope we don't get as much snow on the way down this time. On the autobahn in northern Germany it was like driving at warp speed:whew:. Winter tyres were worth every penny

11 hours ago, Q102 said:

885 miles to Fieberbrunn, Austria on a skiing holiday in 2017

Left at 7pm Friday, arrived 13:00 Saturday

Same journey planned Feb 2019....hope we don't get as much snow on the way down this time. On the autobahn in northern Germany it was like driving at warp speed:whew:. Winter tyres were worth every penny

Driving round Munich on a sat in Feb, rather you than me:blush:

Skiing in Austria rather me than you:biggrin:

Considering going to same area, St Johann/Kitzbuhel possibly Leogang in Dec.