1.6 TDI CR REMAP queries

I’m currently looking at a new (to me) Octy in 1.6 TDI CR 105bhp and I’m considering the possibilities of a remap, not for top end but a wee bit bit more low to mid range grunt. I’ve never had a motor remapped before so looking for general advice. I’m not looking for the cheapest or most expensive option, more the best for the car. (Based south east Scotland). 

Does anyone have have an actual cost increase from their insurance company after a remap?

Is there any potential damage a remap can do?

TIA

P

http://autohausedinburgh.co.uk

http://goapr.co.uk

They will keep you right or there are others around your area that will do you a remap and know their stuff.

Insurance will depend on if who you are with will cover you, or you need to change broker / insurer, some people pay no extra, some maybe £20. Ask your insurance.

http://starperformance.co.uk

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Some insurers will not cover you with a remap/tuning box. The price increase will depend on many factors, best to start by speaking with your insurer.

Edited by ahenners

I also enquired a while ago about a remap and was a bit put off because the guy I spoke to said it was a take ecu out and actually unlock it on a bench before remapping it, seems like there’s a lot to go wrong with that? 

^^^ Who was this or where does he work so others can maybe avoid?

There was a lot to go wrong if you had let him touch your car, that is for sure.

Only use someone that knows what they are doing and the cars they are doing it to.   So someone with all the gear and more than just a bit of an idea.

Edited by Offski

44 minutes ago, Offski said:

^^^ Who was this or where does he work so others can maybe avoid?

There was a lot to go wrong if you had let him touch your car, that is for sure.

Only use someone that knows what they are doing and the cars they are doing it to.   So someone with all the gear and more than just a bit of an idea.

There's a lot of SHARK'S out htere looking for an easy victim and some even change the name of their business but still keep trading offering sub-standard work. BUYER BEWARE as usual, or stick to companies with a good reputation.:blush:

A company that comes to Inverness every so often, I’m thinking I’ll be best going down possibly derby which is where I’m from to eventually get my car remapped, in terms of bhp what can be expected from the 1.6 tdi 63 plate 

On 02/10/2018 at 10:41, SC03OTT said:

Why not just buy the 2.0 to begin with?

I’m being forced into a change due to a drink driver. As soon as they settle I will only have 5 days to find another car. I’m looking at 2.0 also but may have to jump for the 1.6. There’s far more 1.6 on the market also. 

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Phitt said:

I’m being forced into a change due to a drink driver. As soon as they settle I will only have 5 days to find another car. I’m looking at 2.0 also but may have to jump for the 1.6. There’s far more 1.6 on the market also. 

Don't jump too quickly or you may regret it. I've had VAG diesels for 20 years, a 1.9 TDI golf, 1.9TDI Mk1 Octy and then a 1.6CRTDI 2010 Octy. Compared with the two before it, the 1.6 was awful, no low down torque worth talking about. When overtaking it felt like I had taken my foot off the accelerator when it hit 3,000 rpm. Also, mine was manual 5 speed and the gears were way too long. The car wouldn't sit comfortably at 30mph in 4th gear, ever! I opted for the remap, as you are considering, to get some more low down torque. Unfortunately you are limited to what you can do. My remapper had a very good reputation and said that he wouldn't increase the torque low down by too much or it could create issues. Instead his maps (along with loads of other things) hold the boost for longer up the rev range. After the remap the car basically felt the same up to about 2,000 rpm, but after that it continued to pull very linearly right to the red line, where it would have dropped off previously. No doubt it was much quicker, very smooth delivery, but still nothing down low and had to be revved to get the best out of it.

I now have a 2.0 CR TDI 150bhp and the fun is back. Abundance of low down torque and driveability is fantastic from tick over. But.... it does drop off again near the 4,000/4,500rpm mark so I may start looking into the remap route again to make the higher revs more fun.

55 minutes ago, cmcm789 said:

Don't jump too quickly or you may regret it. I've had VAG diesels for 20 years, a 1.9 TDI golf, 1.9TDI Mk1 Octy and then a 1.6CRTDI 2010 Octy. Compared with the two before it, the 1.6 was awful, no low down torque worth talking about. When overtaking it felt like I had taken my foot off the accelerator when it hit 3,000 rpm. Also, mine was manual 5 speed and the gears were way too long. The car wouldn't sit comfortably at 30mph in 4th gear, ever! I opted for the remap, as you are considering, to get some more low down torque. Unfortunately you are limited to what you can do. My remapper had a very good reputation and said that he wouldn't increase the torque low down by too much or it could create issues. Instead his maps (along with loads of other things) hold the boost for longer up the rev range. After the remap the car basically felt the same up to about 2,000 rpm, but after that it continued to pull very linearly right to the red line, where it would have dropped off previously. No doubt it was much quicker, very smooth delivery, but still nothing down low and had to be revved to get the best out of it.

I now have a 2.0 CR TDI 150bhp and the fun is back. Abundance of low down torque and driveability is fantastic from tick over. But.... it does drop off again near the 4,000/4,500rpm mark so I may start looking into the remap route again to make the higher revs more fun.

Thanks for that, great info there, appreciated. 

My my last two have been 1.9 PD and we’re fine compared to a 1.6 CR I received as a courtesy car. My first thoughts were it was god awful and thought a remap may alleviate this. 

Why they ever thought that a 5 speed was suitable for the 1.6TDi when every other engine option gets a 6 speed I have no idea.

The 1.6TDi has a relatively narrow power band and the wide ratios of the 5 speed box just cripple it.

The 1.2TSi with less torque and the same power is fine with the 6 speed box. The 6 speed box also feels slicker than the 5 speed box.

Might be worth considering the 7 speed DSG if looking at the 1.6TDi as it feels a different car and is quieter on the motorway.

Also does it have to be diesel? The TSi's are great.

Edited by logiclee

6 hours ago, logiclee said:

Why they ever thought that a 5 speed was suitable for the 1.6TDi when every other engine option gets a 6 speed I have no idea.

The 1.6TDi has a relatively narrow power band and the wide ratios of the 5 speed box just cripple it.

The 1.2TSi with less torque and the same power is fine with the 6 speed box. The 6 speed box also feels slicker than the 5 speed box.

Might be worth considering the 7 speed DSG if looking at the 1.6TDi as it feels a different car and is quieter on the motorway.

Also does it have to be diesel? The TSi's are great.

I found much the same issues when I had my Octavia 1.6TDi Estate car, fabulous on motorways and rather a lot of gear changing in town driving. I found the best way to cope with it was to leave it in sports mode which seemed to sharpen up the throttle response and stick to third gear most of the time when in and around 30mph, it couldn't really cope with fourth gear. By all accounts this engine works well with the DSG setup but the standard five speed box was ridiculous with a third gear which was nearer fourth gear and a true fourth gear which was far too highly geared and nearer a normal fifth gear.