Winter tyres

Channel

If you are like me you will love the new combination - I truly think the car drives better in every way than on the 19" and no roll in corners at.  The drive is smoother, much quieter and feels very assured. If I still feel this way in the spring then the craters will be up for sale!

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:22, Stefanos said:

Put a set of 16inch rims on yesterday with Pirelli  215/60/R16 sottozero tyres.

Car feels fine, much smoother over uneven roads and no noticeable roll when cornering.

Tyres are also quieter than the Bridgestones that were fitted on delivery.

Hi Stefanos,

What wheels were fitted originally 18inch or 19inch?  I am thinking of doing this to soften and quieten the ride a bit.  I think 16 inch have other advantages such as being cheaper tyres and being able to get snow chains although I don't need those.

The car originally had 18 inch wheels.

I've been running the 16 inch wheels for a couple of weeks now and I'm happy with them. 

The 18s will go back on in the spring when they have hopefully filled in at least some of the potholes caused by the winter weather.

Have driven on icy roads so far and the grip is good. Looks like I may get to try them in snow next week.

On 31/10/2018 at 23:07, windsurfer said:

Living in the Cairngorms and having had our first sprinkling of snow last Saturday I decided to put my winter wheels on today.

I've got the 2.0 TDI SEL 4x4 and put on 215x55x17" replacing the original 18" 

First impressions up the Lecht road were very good. 

Will report again once we've had some decent snow to play in. 

Hi I'm a little confused by all the trye talk but did you put the new tyres onto the standard 18 inch rims?

13 minutes ago, Sieski said:

Hi I'm a little confused by all the trye talk but did you put the new tyres onto the standard 18 inch rims?

You’d be hard pushed to fit 17” tyres on 18” rims :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

You’d be hard pushed to fit 17” tyres on 18” rims :)

Thought so silly me

On 31/10/2018 at 23:07, windsurfer said:

Living in the Cairngorms and having had our first sprinkling of snow last Saturday I decided to put my winter wheels on today.

I've got the 2.0 TDI SEL 4x4 and put on 215x55x17" replacing the original 18" 

First impressions up the Lecht road were very good. 

Will report again once we've had some decent snow to play in. 

On 11/12/2018 at 18:00, Sieski said:

‘Winter wheels’.......you need to buy a set of 17” rims (steel ones cost about £45 each) and put the deeper (thicker if you like) winter tyres on......

They arrived yesterday (great service from Mike @ Listers), and I swapped them over today. Already they feel better (no wheelspin, although it’s not been wet today), ride is slightly better and the noise is definitely reduced. 

4DE1775B-987A-4E1F-AEC3-FCDFA9560F9D.jpeg

Edited by Gizmo
Please join Freedom if you wish to sell on Briskoda

On 22/12/2018 at 00:06, cjrp said:

They arrived yesterday (great service from Mike @ Listers), and I swapped them over today. Already they feel better (no wheelspin, although it’s not been wet today), ride is slightly better and the noise is definitely reduced. 

4DE1775B-987A-4E1F-AEC3-FCDFA9560F9D.jpeg

Superb

Edited by Gizmo

Hi Chris

Glad you like the change - I am still finding the car feels so much more planted and predictable with the 17" wheels and Cross Climates and is so much smoother and quiet! I have already now sold the Craters and going all year on the new set up.  It is also a combo that is much more forgiving of potholes and kerbs having slightly damaged one of the Craters while slowly and carefully (so I thought) going up onto a kerb but there is much more "give" with this tyre size.

I'm also pleased you found Mike at Listers so helpful and I would recommend his service to anyone.

Happy Christmas

Mark

21 hours ago, Marchincus said:

Hi Chris

Glad you like the change - I am still finding the car feels so much more planted and predictable with the 17" wheels and Cross Climates and is so much smoother and quiet! I have already now sold the Craters and going all year on the new set up.  It is also a combo that is much more forgiving of potholes and kerbs having slightly damaged one of the Craters while slowly and carefully (so I thought) going up onto a kerb but there is much more "give" with this tyre size.

I'm also pleased you found Mike at Listers so helpful and I would recommend his service to anyone.

Happy Christmas

Mark

Mark

I hope to get a Karoq soon. I test drove one on 18” Bragas and although the ride seemed ok the tyre noise on the Bridgestone Turanzas was loud. 

I had hoped to fit Michelin Cross Climates. The idea of fitting 17” Ratikons with Cross Climates appeals. Does the change have much effect on the speedo?     

I will be contacting Listers in the new year. 

If I do the change then I will then have the problem of disposing the newish Bragas and tyres.  

How did you sell yours?  Did Listers help in that respect?

Happy Christmas

Tom

Edited by Sanqhar

Excellent link to paisley freight Skoffski, especially for anyone not from Yorkshire, wondering how they're going to get my four Nokian 19" winter tyres delivered when they spend their Christmas present money! ;)

The Beast from the East II will be coming sometime January. Be prepared.