EV real world range and cost to charge

xman

5 minutes ago, xman said:

"40p per kwhr is still cheaper than filling a petrol car" he says standing next to a freebie Jaguar E-pace...

Yeah......I believe you......

The maths are than one kWh will take you between 3 to 5 miles depending on the EV where as 40p of fuel will probably take you only only about 3 miles or less in all but a eco-box, though I do get about that in my Octy I reckon (I get economy at 11p per mile but pay only 4.4 ppm in BIK) but a petrol or diesel big Jaaag is probably more like 20 p per mile on fuel, been in Jaaags that only do 20 mpg ie 25 pence per mile on fuel alone. e-pace 35 mpg average on honestjohn...  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/jaguar/e-pace-2018 ie 16 pence per mile on fuel alone so 3 miles almost 50 p.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So much kidology going on with Chargers and the price to charge in various countries.

The UK really does need to get the charger setup so as a Debit or Credit card will allow you to buy an EV charge / top up, or just a flash, charge dash and run regardless of if it is your car, you are a member of whatever.

Diesel / Petrol / LPG pumps can allow someone to go to self serve and take £1 from your card and authorise a sale, no idea what the nonesense about buying electric is all about.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Diesel / Petrol / LPG pumps can allow someone to go to self serve and take £1 from your card and authorise a sale, no idea what the nonesense about buying electric is all about.

It's just another thing putting people off from making the change to an EV, and needs sorting ASAP.

• Like 2

Zoe 52 kwh range test in coolish weather, sadly not quite 300 kms (180 miles) from 99% charge pointing to not the best tech keepin the battery at optimum temp for good range, hopefully to be improved by better insulation.  Range in warmer weather hopefully closer to 400 kms.

It's not too bad for a city car that is intended to be only driven on long trip occationally. Just look at the rear leg room :D

Tesla Model 3 SR+, which have better battery thermal management, with similar sized battery to the new Zoe, only said to be 150 miles in winter on the motorway. 

https://www.speakev.com/threads/how-are-you-finding-the-sr-range.142225/page-11#post-2733141

• 2 months later...

5th, TESLA S.

Somehow they fail to say what the Real World Range is.  What the longer range than the more expensive model has!

They manage to for the others, putting it right there were you can read it.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

On 04/11/2018 at 14:40, PetrolDave said:

I used to live about a mile from the Transit factory and drove past it every day on my way to work.

Ford moved Transit production from Swaythling near Southampton (closing the factory completely - shortly after investing several million in a new paint plant - and making 500 workers redundant) in JUly 2013 (well before there was any thought of Brexit, let alone a vote), so keeping production within the EU was not a factor in the decision to move production to Turkey it was simply a case of chasing cheap labour.

and some EU financial assistance I seem to remember.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

It's in UK as well. 70p per kWh for non-subscription users. 

https://www.speakev.com/threads/ionity-pricing-apparently-not-a-joke.146294/

It's headline grabbing, great for case against EV. But if you actually do the maths, it doesn't matter. Most people will only likely to use it a few times a year during really long trips. If you need it more often, you can buy the subscription. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With Octopus Energy, who took over my account as a COOP customer,  I can get EV off peak charging at 5 p per kWh so that would work out at about one pence per mile for energy cost, wow !

So half a Zoe charge up for £1.40 which should take me 120 miles or so, assuming 90% charging efficiency. 

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At the access to wind farm roads from every public highway there should be a 'Parking Space with EV Chargers'.

Free to charge charge points all over the UK at Wind Farm Locations.

Then as people travel and see 'Wind Turbines' way off in the distance or as they happen to pass they will know that is someplace they can reduce their 'Range anxiety'.   

Surely not beyond the ability of the Governments and Local Authorities to have those building 'wind farm' to spend a couple of more grand 

out of their substantial profits. 

PS

It has never been truer than with EV's,  'If you want to get ahead wear a hat!'. 

Or if you have to drive with no heating to reach a destination or charge your car get used to dressing like you are driving a Land Rover or riding a bike / motorbike. 

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

At the access to wind farm roads from every public highway there should be a 'Parking Space with EV Chargers'.

Free to charge charge points all over the UK at Wind Farm Locations.

Then as people travel and see 'Wind Turbines' way off in the distance or as they happen to pass they will know that is someplace they can reduce their 'Range anxiety'.   

Surely not beyond the ability of the Governments and Local Authorities to have those building 'wind farm' to spend a couple of more grand 

out of their substantial profits. 

PS

It has never been truer than with EV's,  'If you want to get ahead wear a hat!'. 

Or if you have to drive with no heating to reach a destination or charge your car get used to dressing like you are driving a Land Rover or riding a bike / motorbike. 

Tragic range for this car.

I tend to have cabin temperature low ie 18C as do most men, women like it a couple degrees warmer evidence shows.

But then I probably weigh half as much as the average woman but then on such a heavy car probably does not matter the odd 40 Kgs over an average woman or lighter man, pump the tyres up by a PSI or two is what I normally do and go for the smallest wheels size options tends to give a few more miles range.

Good news your Corsa-e has made it to the UK, wait to hear you first impression report of what is probably the leading contender in the sub £30k catergory.

Let us see what deals there are on cars due to Covid-19 when they want to clear down stock of MGs ZS EV and Zoes perhaps ?

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

370 miles in urban range (in non-winter conditions) , wow  !!