When to change Timing / cam belt?

aswell

On 10/11/2018 at 15:53, Offski said:

Welcome.

What engine does your 2013 car have, and have you driven it from new so know how it has been driven?

It has a 12 turbo petrol engine. Also does it have belt or chain?

I have had it from new and driven 'normally' 

On 11/11/2018 at 10:44, edbostan said:

Are you sure it has a belt? My 1.2tsi is 63 reg and has a chain. I don't know about the diesel.

Do not know if it is belt or chain - it's 1.2 TSI

If the oil filter and turbo is in the front of the engine (near the radiator) that engine has a chain. I don't think the later 1.2tsi engine was  fitted in the Roomster. That engine has a belt

Edited by edbostan

2013 built 1.2tsi CZBA/CZBC (85/86/105ps) camchain engines are the final revision of this engine, compared with earlier versions (same codes) it has a larger oil capacity and galleries, final revision chain/tensioner/sprocket design, and several other design changes. And so they are the most reliable. 

Provided the oil has been changed regularly at 10k/1yr and NOT variable servicing up to 18k/2yr AND has no horrible loud chain rattling noises (a very brief one or two seconds - no longer - mild rattle on start up is not necessarily something to worry about), then there is no need to change the chain, which should last the life of the engine.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2018 at 14:56, aswell said:

... and when will that be?

Seriously speaking I've changed my 1.9pd Roomsters one every 4 years. Full kit including water pump. The belt does not look at all worn when I take it off. The milage in 4 years for me is about 23k.

I'm sure it would last longer, but if it broke it would badly damage my interference diesel engine.

So it looks like I'll be changing it again next year. The task takes me about 8 hours, so I'll wait for sunny summer again. It's not a difficult job, just need to be methodical. That will be the 3rd time I've done this and the 4th belt the car has had since factory.

5 minutes ago, aubrey said:

Seriously speaking I've changed my 1.9pd Roomsters one every 4 years. Full kit including water pump. The belt does not look at all worn when I take it off. The milage in 4 years for me is about 23k.

I'm sure it would last longer, but if it broke it would badly damage my interference diesel engine.

So it looks like I'll be changing it again next year. The task takes me about 8 hours, so I'll wait for sunny summer again. It's not a difficult job, just need to be methodical. That will be the 3rd time I've done this and the 4th belt the car has had since factory.

Good for you but irrelevant to the OP's question as he has an engine fitted with a camchain, not a cambelt.

• Like 1

@aswell

Knowing your car's engine code (and maybe putting it in your profile or signature) is a fantastic way of helping others to help you understand what you have. It's listed on the data sticker on the boot floor (and there may be a duplicate in the service book). If you can't work out which letters are the relevant ones, just pop up a photo of the sticker (obscuring the VIN if you're shy).  As @xman says, yours may well be a four-letter code starting CZB- but there's nothing like seeing it black and white to be certain.

• Like 2

I might actually change my sig to be a version of that paragraph, without the personal references. My one about dropbox piccies has so far elicited just one PM in the last couple of years, and when I replied to ask which post had the missing photo, never heard back! :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wino said:

@aswell

Knowing your car's engine code (and maybe putting it in your profile or signature) is a fantastic way of helping others to help you understand what you have. It's listed on the data sticker on the boot floor (and there may be a duplicate in the service book). If you can't work out which letters are the relevant ones, just pop up a photo of the sticker (obscuring the VIN if you're shy).  As @xman says, yours may well be a four-letter code starting CZB- but there's nothing like seeing it black and white to be certain.

Here is a scan of the service book entry:

Scan.jpg

CBZA engine (I got the BZ wrong way round in earlier posts) camchain, no change required unless rattling loudly. I recomend delete that scan in that post because it shows your VIN number....

Edited by xman

@aswell Brilliant, in the top line on the right, and also on the right just after 63kW (your engine's power in metric units).

Armed with that code you can go to sites like 7Zap.com and look up all sorts (everything!)* about your engine and car. e.g. this page showing your timing chain and associated parts:

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/roomster/ro/2013-699/1/109-109053/

We have a mk1 Fabia on 160k miles and as far as I know it's still on the original chain and tensioner, if that reassures you at all, albeit on a very different engine.

*Edit: the 'everything!' was a bit of an exaggeration w.r.t. what it tells you about the rest of the car.

Edited by Wino

11 minutes ago, Wino said:

@aswell Brilliant, in the top line on the right, and also on the right just after 63kW (your engine's power in metric units).

Armed with that code you can go to sites like 7Zap.com and look up all sorts (everything!) about your engine and car. e.g. this page showing your timing chain and associated parts:

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/roomster/ro/2013-699/1/109-109053/

We have a mk1 Fabia on 160k miles and as far as I know it's still on the original chain and tensioner, if that reassures you at all, albeit on a very different engine.

Thanks a lot - one learns something new every day. I will spend hours tomorrow seeing what I can find out!

Am I to assume that with my mileage, 6K a year, I might never need to replace the chain?