Opinions

Me too -manual gearbox. Performance is not lacking and excellent fuel consumption  54mpg plus,on long runs at legal speeds.

Mine is quiet enough and comfortable for a 6 footer.:biggrin:

Edited by gregoir
  • Like 2

I've got the 1.4TSI 140 with manual gearbox and am very happy with it - coming from an Audi RS4 which had 420PS it's a bit different in performance but still makes me smile at times and the fuel economy is just under 50mpg average which I'm very happy with - oh and the Road Tax is only £30 instead of over £500 :biggrin:

• Like 2

One of the best engines ever designed. 50 MPG £30 road tax and no horrid EGR valve (It's done by VVT within the cylinders.)

Sports mode with 7 speed DSG is interesting. Only real let down is the lack or independent rear suspension.

2 hours ago, MoggyTech said:

One of the best engines ever designed. 50 MPG £30 road tax and no horrid EGR valve (It's done by VVT within the cylinders.)

Sports mode with 7 speed DSG is interesting. Only real let down is the lack or independent rear suspension.

I'm soon to be going from 1.4 manual to 1.0 DSG. Wish they still done the 1.4 or even allowed you to get the 1.5 with DSG (SE Tech) , as it's been an amazing engine for me.

I love how quiet it is and when you put your foot down, it doesn't sound like you're ragging the chesticles off of it. 

I found my 1.4TSI, 150PS pulled so much like an old school 2.8 / 3.0 litre carburetted 6 cylinder that I checked the power and torque figures - they were pretty much the same, the turbo starts to spool-up at around 12-1400 too.

In Aus, the FL Octavia has the 1.4tsi still with 150hp/110kw (we call it a 110tsi here) 

In my opinion the manual box box is the winner, it’s extremely economical, I yield 5.4lt/100km on the way to and from work. 

The dsg is also good, if anything I think it feels faster than the manual.

engine is quiet when driving, when I idling the direct injection sounds.. clicky, however still very quiet.

As you will be buying a 2nd hand vehicle just be aware that although the 7 speed 'dry' dsg gearbox had its generic issues sorted it is not as bullet proof as the 'wet' version used with more powerful engines.

It is not unknown for clutch packs to be replaced but it might be an Aussie thing because the owners are more used to torque converter auto boxes than an automated manual system. 

The engine itself does not have any obvious inherent reliability issues. Touch wood.

I drove my 1.4 TSI DSG (140 perhaps tuned up a touch) like I just stole it for all 42 months I had it.

I couldn't kill with my total and utter mechanical unsympathetic behaviour, couldn't recommend it any higher, even my vRS245 needed new brakes before 4k miles

One thing that should be mentioned is the really low level of engine braking these small capacity (1.4, 1.2 and 1.0) petrol engines offer.

It contributes to the excellent economy but if you live in a hilly area then you will be using the brakes a lot more.

Coming into Adelaide from the hills and you get a 3 km descent with about a 10% gradient. Even 2nd gear with the engine revving its nuts off does not stop you from having to keep dabbing the brakes to keep below the 90 kph limits. Nearly every other vehicle I have driven on the same road was happily 'retarded' using 3rd gear.

Conversely the 1.4tsi can accelerate up the same hill in top gear (6th) although 5th is the more mechanically sympathetic gear.

The lack of engine braking is not really a problem for me but it is an aspect you should be aware of.

57 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Coming into Adelaide from the hills and you get a 3 km descent with about a 10% gradient. Even 2nd gear with the engine revving its nuts off does not stop you from having to keep dabbing the brakes to keep below the 90 kph limits.

At least that will get your battery nicely charged, if nothing else.

Thanks folks. Car I'm looking at is a '63 plate 6 speed manual. Original owner and 40k. Nice race blue. Only ever had Octavia diesels so appreciate all the comments. None negative either which is good.

• Like 1