Misting Windscreen and Hatch

Anyone else have problems with car misting up very easily? If driving, have to have heater on demist setting and fan blowing otherwise it mists up. If car has been sat, front and rear screens are not just misted up but wet Car isn't damp inside and I've wiped screens clear numerous times but same thing happens. Not had a car mist up like this in many years.... 18 plate Octavia VRS diesel....

That sounds like a leak somewhere.  If the carpets aren't obviously damp I'd maybe check the cabin filter to see if that's damp / blocked with crap etc.

I think it's located under or behind glovebox from memory

I've thought that all generations of Octavia's don't seem to be very well sealed!  Mine lives in garage, but on a 60 mile drive to work in the morning in the rain, I can arrive with the rear windows misted up, and the heat only on at 22 on a low fan speed.  Windscreen fine, but the rear of the car seems worse.

The cabin filter is fine and car is cleaned regularly so no drain areas blocked or leaves, muck etc.... 

Only thing I have noticed is that when damp conditions, water is present in body behind all doors i.e along sills, down door pillars and down rear arches. Lease car and will be going for service in next month or so and will ask garage for opinion.....

Cheers

Loads of threads each year on the same thing. 

If all is correct with the car and as dry as can be, You have to find the De-Mist and A/C or no A/C that works best as there are all types of Winter Conditions.

What is condensation for one can be Jack-Frost for others.

DSCN2443.JPG.94768b4a6a1110d290932694524a3b7b.JPG

Edited by Offski

Run the AC this will demist windows as it dehumidifies.. only reason AC compressor won't work is if the ambient temps are too cold. I'm guessing a number of you don't run your AC all year or are trying to save money by not running it. Even in cars I've had with manual AC/heating I leave the AC running to ensure windows don't mist up. Granted bad misting can point to a leak but generally at this time of year humidity levels/temps/excessive rain mean stuff will mist up anyway.

11 hours ago, gman1967 said:

Anyone else have problems with car misting up very easily? If driving, have to have heater on demist setting and fan blowing otherwise it mists up. If car has been sat, front and rear screens are not just misted up but wet Car isn't damp inside and I've wiped screens clear numerous times but same thing happens. Not had a car mist up like this in many years.... 18 plate Octavia VRS diesel....

Just done a calculation - our household has gone thru 17 cars this millenium, five of which have been VW products. Only 5 of the 17 suffered what you've described - guess which 5?   And and every other VW product in the extended family suffers the same. I don't subscribe to the poor insulation issue others refer to.

The extreme end of clan Scot5 own a Bentley and a RS6 estate (the Bentley was used 'un).  Whilst the RS6 also suffered from misting, the Bentley didn't.

The moral being if you buy a VW product the solution to misting is turn on a/c.  Or buy a used Bentley. :giggle:

Edited by Guest

+1 for leaving the climate system in "auto with AC available". all year round I have auto heated screen enabled too.

After 4.5years I've had no problems with misting (front or rear when driving) & for the last 2 years my car has been parked outside during the summer & winter with no noticeable change.

Just because the AC button light is on, doesnt mean that the AC is actually working, it just gives the system the ability to use the AC system if it thinks its necessary.

If you have to drive with DeMisting active all of the time, theres got to be a leak or problem somewhere.

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

My AC is on all the time and I don't have any issues with misting up inside the car. Also worth making sure the glass is clean on the inside.

Agreed.. esp cleaning the glass inside too.

Very interesting @Scot5 I think even with less cars I'd agree here.

Early Seat Leon Mk1s leaked like sieves, something on the door seals/drains blocking up. My Cupra was a Facelift 2003 mk1 which had this fixed I had no issues with water ingress but I did retrospectively have a 2001 to use for a year (step dad lent me it from his car business) after I'd sold mine  and the car was forever filling up with water in the footwells.

Irrespective my 2003 Leon Cupra required the climate/AC to be on and working (not too cold) to stop the car badly misting up in winter/rainy conditions without any leaks inside.   

Edited by Scotty72
correct tag

You don’t need much water on your shoes or clothes to start misting. I took my wet Berghaus off tonight before I got in the car and put it on the back seat and car became mister almost immediately but soon cleared.