Columbus map update

Can anyone please tell me how easy it is to update the Map on my Columbus nav system, this will be my first attempt at doing this.

do I need to download it straight onto an SD card or download it onto the computer first ?  I have looked on the portal site and noted that you need Win-Zip and SD card of at least 32GB

If anyone has done this update it would be interesting to hear how you got on..  before I muck it up. :notme:

Preuzmite na racunar u formatu .iso  zatim narezite na dvd verbatin DVD-R  u programu ImgBurn  1x brzini  i instalirajte u svoj columbus uredjaj u automobilu.

Ako imate problem sa laserom u vasem columbus  ili ga ocistite sto pomaze provijereno ili se odlucite na SD card  a za to vam treba maptols.

Nadam se da sam vam malo pomogao

I've managed it twice so cannot be too difficult.  Not sure I'll bother again though my 2008 OS road atlas works fine.

27 minutes ago, Seno35 said:

Preuzmite na racunar u formatu .iso  zatim narezite na dvd verbatin DVD-R  u programu ImgBurn  1x brzini  i instalirajte u svoj columbus uredjaj u automobilu.

Ako imate problem sa laserom u vasem columbus  ili ga ocistite sto pomaze provijereno ili se odlucite na SD card  a za to vam treba maptols.

Nadam se da sam vam malo pomogao

Please only use English. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Robbo12 said:

Can anyone please tell me how easy it is to update the Map on my Columbus nav system, this will be my first attempt at doing this.

do I need to download it straight onto an SD card or download it onto the computer first ?  I have looked on the portal site and noted that you need Win-Zip and SD card of at least 32GB

If anyone has done this update it would be interesting to hear how you got on..  before I muck it up. :notme:

It's not too bad. You click on the file, it gives you a downloader that then does the 25gb download. Took a couple of hours on my 50mbit connection. 

When it's finished you insert your SD Card and the downloader will extract the files to the SD Card (you don't need winzip). You need to select the root folder of the SD card. This can take a while depending on the speed of your card and USB port. 

You then put the card in the car go to map settings then update and it will find the update and do it. This took about 40 mins. 

That's the theory, except I had to download twice because the first download failed and I had to update twice because the first update failed. 

Good luck and don't give up if it fails once. 

• Thanks 1

As above with these clarifications.

If you have windows 10 then winzip is already there. Just make sure you reformat your SD card before use, this will ensure it is empty. (in case you don't know how, right click on the sd card in 'This PC' select format and click on start.) The default settings for the format are fine for the download.

Then as above. It takes me 8-10 hours to download! Once the 25GB file is downloaded then follow the instructions on the screen to download (unzip) onto your SD card. Take the SD card and place in the card slot in the car and hey presto.

The download to the car has an automatic  'resume' function. So if you dont have a longer journey to do you can just leave it to do its thing and it will resume each time you start the car. However, you wont have your navigation function until the download is complete.

It really is easy peasy if a rather longwinded affair.  8 hours to download, maybe another 45 minutes to unpack to the SD card and then another 30-40 minutes to download onto the hard disk in the car.

Good luck.

Edited by Sagalout
typo
  • Thanks 1

Agree with all above (download depends on internet speed and mine can take anywhere from 2-12 hours). One point - some find that the nav doesn't work while the update is happening. Mine works fine, then says it is unavailable for a couple of minutes at the end of the update process, before resuming. 

• Like 1

Good luck with this. I tried yesterday evening and the downloader seemed to hang. One point to note is that the downloader attempts to make a temporary file on the hard drive of the computer, so you need 25Gig of system storage, regardless of if you have inserted an SD card as the final destination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My initial attempt to download the update took over a day and then failed near the end. That was when I realised my fibre connection was running slowly. TalkTalk were no help, so I rebooted the router and the speed jumped back up to around 35 Mbps. Download then took around 2 hours and the unzip a further hour & a bit. I've copied the files onto an SD card which I didn't have available straight after the download but haven't had the chance to put it into the car as I'm currently confined to base with a heavy cold. Worked OK last time I tried this, though, so not expecting any problems with the update. I really can't understand why the download is so big. My Garmin Camper satnav Europe maps are around 2 Gb - a tenth of the size of the Skoda/VW files, although to be fair, they are advertised as "Western Europe". I'm unlikely ever to travel to many of the countries on the Skoda maps.

John M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so Columbus has been pestering me with a "new update available" message for a while. So finally downloaded update last night via Skoda portal and using the downloader they give.  Didn't help that half way through unpacking, Windows decides to restart to install updates despite me twice telling it to reschedule.

So had to run downloader again, skip the download bit and redo the unpacking from scratch, no resume possible. Excruciatingly lengthy process....but all ok in the end.

Today popped the SD in the car, settings menu, system information, update software. After a while it found update and so I pressed update.  After 30 mins or so, completed and "Navigation database unavailable ” message pops up....WTF? Don't panic....try Navigation, " Starting Navigation"...........after 2 or 3 minutes comes back up, phew...great.

Next step back into Settings, System information, ECE 2019, ...fine, except the list that follows has lots of 2 letter abbreviations instead of full country names?, hmmm.

So I decided to try the software update button again thinking it will say software up to date or no newer software available, but no it says ECE2019 software available, so silly me presses update, thinking it will say already installed. No it goes off on another update, tried cancel button, and it warns me if I cancel all kind of bad things will happen.

Who writes this stuff?

So just to say, hope I don't find myself stranded in Europe later this year. It isnt too inspiring that what comes up in system information when checking looks so radically different to what went before.

Update: Rechecked after this "2nd update attempt” and now all country names are there in full along with 2019. Don't know if the first update attempt was not really successful, despite it saying " installed"

Won't be pressing more buttons to dig any deeper, but just a warning to check system information and scroll down to examine the list of installed maps etc.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by xman

not sure whats this got to do with my post,     however heard such a lot of grief about the update of the Columbus I Got the dealer to do it for me when the Kodiaq had its first service shows on the dispay latest European mates etc but cant yet confirm if its accurate till we go back down to the camp site in Benicassim March end

Anyway back to my post have had re map done Turbo/Throttle lag appears to have been corrected,190bhp to 220bhp, waiting for Torque figures which is more important to my needs

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, mentaliss said:

not sure whats this got to do with my post,     

Absolutely nothing, not only are you not the OP (original poster) and this is a general discussion thread on updating Columbus map on the Superb III, it has absolutely nothing to do with throttle lag!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been trying update mine with no success.   Downloaded the 2019 update from the Skoda portal after putting in my VIN.

I’m using a Mac, so I then formatted a 32gb SD card (I’ve tried both Fat32 and ExFat) and copied the contents of the zip file to the card.

The car seems to recognise the SD card as a software update just after I insert it, so then in Nav > Setup > Version information I press Update.   It then searches for updates, and always fails.  

What am I doing wrong?   Ive tried it on a USB stick too.  I’ve attached some photos..

I think I’ll boot my Mac into Windows 7 and format the card again.   I might even download the damned thing again too..

8A5011F7-EF8C-4AB6-9E6B-EFF44D2C8DBD.jpeg

5F2D7EBD-6F37-4DC9-84CF-6A4BB4ED2B1F.jpeg

D11FD49E-ADF6-44F8-8886-B4D5EADF6714.jpeg

7921EDAE-4A32-41C7-83B9-FCE024ACD384.jpeg

You don't copy the zip file to the sd card. You unpack the zip file to the SD card, all done automatically if you run the download manager that Skoda push to you (at least on Win10 they do).

So unpack the zip file to a blank formatted SD card. 

Edited by xman

It needs the file and folder structure and attributes including the hidden files to be mirrored. Hidden files need to be unpacked too. Check the last modified dates of all files and folders are todays date, the Skoda download manager dates them all that way, when it unpacks, the original files in the zip files are dated up to 2 years old.

If I use other methods to unpack, the dates are the same as those in the zip file, which I suspect might confuse.

When you went through the portal and put your VIN no. in, did it not not just download a manager (in windows its called download.exe) which you then run?

Thanks again for your help chaps - I’m now downloading using Windows 7 (using the Skoda download manager as you mentioned xman) and I have about an hour left.

Jeff - clearly it’s fiddly on a Mac, not the first time I’ve had issues like this with such things.  Thanks for the link to the thread - seems Apple have a lot to answer for sometimes!

Hoping the windows method will work fine.   Just to clarify - do I format the SD card using Fat32?