"Misting" Front Shock Absorbers??????

Grateful for any advice on a little problem please.

I have just had my 2016 plate VRS serviced (60,000 miles) at my local garage who I trust implicitly. My car has 100,000 mile warranty.

The mechanic who serviced it reported that both the front shock absorbers were damp with fluid. For a car that has done upwards of 90% of its miles either on motorways or trunk roads I considered that this was not fair wear and tear.

I was therefore forced to book the car into Winchester Skoda in the new year for assessment. I would add that I wouldn't trust either of the local Skoda dealers with a cracked cup!

Winchester Skoda have informed me that the fluid is "Misting" which is completely normal for the shock absorbers fitted to my car. Personally I feel that I'm being told a load of tosh. In my experience, shock absorbers are always sealed units and "Misting" equals leakage which is never going to get better.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance.

Volkswagen have a TPI covering shock absorbers that provides dealers with guidance on what they will or will not accept as a warranty claim.  They will replace leaking dampers under warranty, but light misting is considered normal and won’t be covered.  Skoda no doubt will be the same.

On my old Mk2.5 vRS that appeared on the first two MOT's.

I didn't replace the shocks, but it didn't appear on MOT 3 and never appeared again as long as I owned the car.

Take from that what you will.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stoofa said:

On my old Mk2.5 vRS that appeared on the first two MOT's.

I didn't replace the shocks, but it didn't appear on MOT 3 and never appeared again as long as I owned the car.

Take from that what you will.

I had the same experience with my previous car - misting shocks reported 2 years in a row, then nothing reported for the next 5 years!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JulieD said:

Volkswagen have a TPI covering shock absorbers that provides dealers with guidance on what they will or will not accept as a warranty claim.  They will replace leaking dampers under warranty, but light misting is considered normal and won’t be covered.  Skoda no doubt will be the same.

Thank you JulieD, that's almost word for word what the dealer told me - many thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wino said:

I've learned something today Wino, I was convinced that the Skoda Dealer was trying to pull the wool over my eyes. This is very useful information for which I thank you.

• 8 months later...

Just had an advisory for the front shocks on my 66 plate TSI of misting front shocks... approx 44000 on clock, mostly motorway and A roads. Sounds like it's a common one to watch but not worry too much about?

39 minutes ago, OctaviaJon said:

Just had an advisory for the front shocks on my 66 plate TSI of misting front shocks... approx 44000 on clock, mostly motorway and A roads. Sounds like it's a common one to watch but not worry too much about?

Light misting is normal, some oil in the damper is used to lubricate the seal. Advisory could be one of three reasons.

1: Mechanic doesn't know it's normal

2: Covering their ass

3: Trying to make extra money

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OctaviaJon said:

Misting is very common and nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OctaviaJon said:

Hopefully nothing to worry about, but I would either check them yourself or get a second opinion. If a shock absorber is leaking then it should be obvious from looking at it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, petrolbloke said:

Hopefully nothing to worry about, but I would either check them yourself or get a second opinion. If a shock absorber is leaking then it should be obvious from looking at it.

Thanks.... I'll take a look and keep an eye on them.

22 hours ago, MoggyTech said:

Light misting is normal, some oil in the damper is used to lubricate the seal. Advisory could be one of three reasons.

1: Mechanic doesn't know it's normal

2: Covering their ass

3: Trying to make extra money

Thanks.... all noted. I'd probably steer for no. 1 or no. 2 of the above as the garage is trusted... but it was a younger chap I'd not recalled seeing before. But thanks 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Two years ago while having my Octavia serviced at the local stealer I was informed that both front dampers were leaking and would happily charge me £320 each side to replace them ! I asked them to show me this in their workshop but they gave me a load of guff about health and safety and wouldn't do it. I took the car home and a few days later I jacked the car up both sides and couldn't see any leakage what so ever. The car has passed two MOTs since then.