factory fitted tyres

11 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Not me, but I can read. ;) 

Hi,

Thanks; I was taught to read over 50 years ago and in those days chalk and a slate board were used to teach basic writing. :biggrin:

I'm definitely not a tyre expert so like you Ken I've had to resort to reading and also I've been watching many YouTube videos regarding what tyres would suit our Yeti and where we live. We live on a very steep valley side; the Goodyear summer tyres were decent enough for most of the year but were heart stopping on ice and snow. We've just splashed out on a full set of Michelin Cross Climate tyres having these fitted on our drive by "tyresonthedrive". Looking at the assorted posts I'm sure some members will agree whilst other members disagree with this choice. The Michelin's have only been on about a week so I can't really pass comments other than the ride is comfortable and the tyres are quiet unless in the wet; we don't need to wear ear defenders and if the tyres are as good as seen on YouTube then a bit of extra noise is just nit picking. Bron and I are retired so don't need to travel in bad weather on ice and snow but visiting local supermarkets is our main concern; every winter our mile long lane is adorned both sides with abandoned vehicles and these vehicles will have many makes of tyre fitted. 

We used to own a Toyota Aygo and out of curiosity had a pair of Avon Ice Touring Pattern tyres fitted to the driving wheels ( I know all four wheels should have had them fitted) the difference was absolutely remarkable; I drove straight up the lane on sheet ice as though it was dry tarmac passing many abandoned cars. For this coming winter having read the reviews we'll be interested to see how we get on with the Michelins?  

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 1

Only comparing 2.0litre petrol turbo 4 door cars, BMW VERY HEAVY 252BHP , rear wheel drive compared to Vrs245 not so heavy 248bhp as standard. Power to weight much better on much cheaper Skoda many thousands difference in price, so seemed like a good comparison. Even with all my mods I have only spent £31,000 which is alot cheaper than a basic 330i.:inlove:

5 hours ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

Thanks; I was taught to read over 50 years ago and in those days chalk and a slate board were used to teach basic writing. :biggrin:

I'm definitely not a tyre expert so like you Ken I've had to resort to reading and also I've been watching many YouTube videos regarding what tyres would suit our Yeti and where we live. We live on a very steep valley side; the Goodyear summer tyres were decent enough for most of the year but were heart stopping on ice and snow. We've just splashed out on a full set of Michelin Cross Climate tyres having these fitted on our drive by "tyresonthedrive". Looking at the assorted posts I'm sure some members will agree whilst other members disagree with this choice. The Michelin's have only been on about a week so I can't really pass comments other than the ride is comfortable and the tyres are quiet unless in the wet; we don't need to wear ear defenders and if the tyres are as good as seen on YouTube then a bit of extra noise is just nit picking. Bron and I are retired so don't need to travel in bad weather on ice and snow but visiting local supermarkets is our main concern; every winter our mile long lane is adorned both sides with abandoned vehicles and these vehicles will have many makes of tyre fitted. 

We used to own a Toyota Aygo and out of curiosity had a pair of Avon Ice Touring Pattern tyres fitted to the driving wheels ( I know all four wheels should have had them fitted) the difference was absolutely remarkable; I drove straight up the lane on sheet ice as though it was dry tarmac passing many abandoned cars. For this coming winter having read the reviews we'll be interested to see how we get on with the Michelins?  

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin, great to see you on here, used to enjoy your posts so much, on the ultimate handyman. The CrossClimates aren't the best in the wet but, until you've done a few more miles they won't be, you ain't really got the mould release agent off them yet. They are summer compound rubber you see but, that tread pattern is very good in snow & they're pretty good in the summer too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Only comparing 2.0litre petrol turbo 4 door cars, BMW VERY HEAVY 252BHP , rear wheel drive compared to Vrs245 not so heavy 248bhp as standard. Power to weight much better on much cheaper Skoda many thousands difference in price, so seemed like a good comparison. Even with all my mods I have only spent £31,000 which is alot cheaper than a basic 330i.:inlove:

Well I think, then, that this only goes to prove the point of my previous post: Skoda's are generally cheaper but still very good for their price point. It's no news that you pay a premium for some badges. It's also no news that they aren't necessarily the "best" car (whatever "best" that means, it really depends on what you're talking about I suppose). It's also no news that they often do have slightly nicer/smarter/classier (whatever adjective you like) interiors and materials: you often get softer plastics, real/softer leathers, better seats etc. That's part of what you pay the premium for.

I can't see any reason why you can't apply the same reasoning to a set of tyres for your car. Just because it's not a premium make, doesn't mean it's not a good quality tyre, which was my very first point in my very first post in this thread.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-test-and-reviews

Might be worth having a butcher's at this site and it's review section. With being a supplier to countries all over Europe, they've got a lot of views from people in different climates, with different driving styles and different mileages.

There is quite a lot to potentially to have to go through, but I usually look at the top ratings and the worst ratings, then compare and contrast.

Pick a tyre, any tyre and you'll probably find a page or two on it.

12 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Colin, great to see you on here, used to enjoy your posts so much, on the ultimate handyman. The CrossClimates aren't the best in the wet but, until you've done a few more miles they won't be, you ain't really got the mould release agent off them yet. They are summer compound rubber you see but, that tread pattern is very good in snow & they're pretty good in the summer too.

Hi,

Many thanks themanwithnoaim for your kind comments; I'm still as busy as ever but moved over to a very friendly DIY forum where I'm a regular poster.

There are so many variables when it comes to choosing correct car tyres; if in doubt fit the type of tyre the car was supplied new with. Mainland UK is only about 1,000 miles long but in this distance the climate changes a great deal as does the landscape; motorways and narrow country roads; many different kinds of road surface from dirt to concrete; how the car is being driven and what the car is being used for; what make of car; it's hardly surprising to find so many differing opinions.

It amazes me and truly terrifies me whilst I drive along say the M1 motorway in torrential rain being stuck behind a 38 ton vehicle this throwing up huge dense clouds of overspray making passing impossible because forward vision is denied so why do I see so many cars/vans head into the unknown at 70mph or more; there isn't a tyre made to counteract such reckless idiots. Here in the UK our top legal speed limit is 70mph so for cars used solely on our roads why do the high performance cars need tyres rated at over 150mph? 

Aquaplaning is mentioned many times but is this the fault of the tyre or the driver?

Like "ExSeat" I too used to ride big powerful motorcycles at the age of 18 having my first 1,000cc bike; five of my chums were killed on their bike; I was coffin bearer for one who was beheaded due to a confrontation with a tanker; I've ridden 650cc bikes solo but fitted with sidecar pattern tyres; I've ridden on the road with knobblies fitted but I have a strong survival instinct know how far to push my luck; how many motorcyclists are banned from riding due to drink or drugs. 

One of the safest things I've ever bought for any car is our DASH CAMERA. It's like having a police officer with us at all times not only recording other road users but also my own driving so I behave myself and adhere to the law; it's possible dash cams will be eventually installed to new cars and I would welcome it.

Even after spending hours of reading tyre reviews and watching tyre videos on YouTube when it comes down to it I can only still guess as to what I think suitable tyres are for our Yeti. I've ridden bikes and driven cars since 1963 the largest vehicle I've driven was over 40 years ago it being a Scammell Crusader 38 ton bulk tipper.

Just me rambling on as usual.

Kind regards, Colin.

On 23/12/2018 at 11:35, BACUPIAN said:

On checking tyre pressures & adjusting on my new Octavia 1.5 tsi SEL noticed Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 tyres were fitted , I always considered that make was amongst the "cheaper budget" brands,pound for pound what are considered to be more of a "premium" brand, I do realise it is the "overall" performance of a tyre, & personal opinions that will make the final decision ! 

Hankook are now 'positioned' as  a premium quality tyre brand they have positioned Laufenn as a mid range tyre

On 29/12/2018 at 10:46, Fabcol said:

why do the high performance cars need tyres rated at over 150mph?

Because a high performance car has high performance acceleration and cornering, as well as a high top speed.

• Like 2

Hi,

Thanks KenONeil. :smile: I appreciate the characteristics of high performance cars but don't appreciate all the endless traffic calming and speed cameras because of "the need for speed". Showing off with great acceleration and cornering on the limit is fun to lots of drivers but around Huddersfield such drivers risk lives and their driving licence just to gain one car length at the next traffic light. The opposite also is true; yesterday in Bretton we were returning home following a small car; 18mph in a 60mph limit with very long double white lines causes accidents due to road rage; two old ladies were in the car as we finally passed followed by a long queue.

Just a personal gripe because I become fed up of cars passing us at high speed just because we adhere to the legal speed limit and many times with these impatient drivers tailgating.

Kind regards, Colin. 

On 29/12/2018 at 12:48, Fabcol said:

but around Huddersfield

Not all of us actually live in dense urban areas though. What I do enjoy is the challenge of making "Speed limit -1" mph without exceeding the ruling speed limit!

• Like 2

Unfortunately the cars sold these days are Global and EU Type approved and not especially specced or built just for Huddersfield or with the most suitable tyres for the length and breadth of the UK 356 days or 357 (a year) or more. 

There are special ones maybe perfect for Huddersfield, rough tough and not that expensive like Dacia Duster and others.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just announced on the radio that more accidents are being caused by people driving too slowly in the middle lane of motorways and not obeying the rule of using the left hand lane UNLESS OVERTAKING.:dull:

Load of BoIIox...

Its the tailgating idiots coming up behind way too fast that don't think about moving into the outer OVERTAKING lane in plenty of time (or waiting until its safe to do so)

I don't see a great deal of middle lane hogging, and if they are doing 75mph are they really hogging?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, xman said:

Load of BoIIox...

Its the tailgating idiots coming up behind way too fast that don't think about moving into the outer OVERTAKING lane in plenty of time (or waiting until its safe to do so)

I don't see a great deal of middle lane hogging, and if they are doing 75mph are they really hogging?

I use the M1 forty times every month and see plenty of people doing 60mph in the middle lane like they have just passed their driving test (1st time on a motorway) not overtaking anything (not even a truck limited to 52mph). Yes you get the MORONS nose to tail in the outside lane giving each other a BRAKE TEST and causing everyone to slow down as a result and my favourites are the last minute DOT COM brigade who wait until 100 metres from the motorway exit to move from outside to middle to inside lane causing MAYHEM in their wake, these are the ones who have never had an accident in their entire driving career but seen plenty in the rear view mirror. RANT NOW OVER.:tongueout:

• Like 4

Hi,

I see lots of middle lane lane hogging; tailgating and even undertaking xman on motorways; £100 fixed penalty and three points on a driving licence is a good reminder and well deserved.

Tyres suited to just Huddersfield Skoffski; it might catch on elsewhere too. :handshake:

Sorry I seem to have diverted the topic from tyres perhaps another dedicated thread to driving behaviour would be useful. 

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2018 at 14:29, shyVRS245 said:

I use the M1 forty times every month and see plenty of people doing 60mph in the middle lane like they have just passed their driving test (1st time on a motorway) not overtaking anything (not even a truck limited to 52mph). Yes you get the MORONS nose to tail in the outside lane giving each other a BRAKE TEST and causing everyone to slow down as a result and my favourites are the last minute DOT COM brigade who wait until 100 metres from the motorway exit to move from outside to middle to inside lane causing MAYHEM in their wake, these are the ones who have never had an accident in their entire driving career but seen plenty in the rear view mirror. RANT NOW OVER.:tongueout:

Absol-kitten-lutely: My worst case was a CLOGie on an otherwise empty 3 lane motorway.

Edited by KenONeill
self-moderating swear word
  • Like 1

The M1 round here now has 4 lanes.

So voila, no middle lane to hog.

It's the nose to tail lot in the outside lane doing 85mph that encourages me to undertake slow traffic, carefully, if there are clear lanes.

My oe factory tyres rarely have needed a hard stop on the motorway .

Last time I think I was in an almost new Golf Mk2 with Continental tyres in the 80's  . The brakes used to pull one way or the other after cruising for a while. No abs then.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, gregoir said:

The M1 round here now has 4 lanes.

So voila, no middle lane to hog.

It's the nose to tail lot in the outside lane doing 85mph that encourages me to undertake slow traffic, carefully, if there are clear lanes.

My oe factory tyres rarely have needed a hard stop on the motorway .

Last time I think I was in an almost new Golf Mk2 with Continental tyres in the 80's  . The brakes used to pull one way or the other after cruising for a while. No abs then.

The FUN begins as you approach J21 Leicester when the A46 (2 lanes) merges with the M1 (3 lanes) then MAYHEM ensues as lanes become like precious stones, every one wants one but not necessarily the nearest lane to where they started. So many accidents here so I try and get in the 5th lane until I clear the Services and the motorway exit, then calmness can enter the cabin and all is well again.:sweat:

Edited by shyVRS245
missing word

Lane discipline in the UK is a major cause of accidents. 

I use the 4 lane sections of the M1 daily and often the outside two lanes are 50-60mph with the inside two lanes clear.

Leads to frustration and undertaking.

Just a few weeks ago I was stuck for hours at J25 as an Audi (Not at fault) was spun into the patch of trucks. The rear seat passenger, a young child, was killed.

There should be stiff penalties for not keeping left unless overtaking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, logiclee said:

There should be stiff penalties for not keeping left unless overtaking.

From what I can understand from some of the literature on the smart motorways our fleet emailed out a little while ago, the Highways Agency is starting to monitor their cameras that little bit more.

It used to wind me right up when I used to drive to and from London (in my 70mph limited van) and there would be some herbert sitting in lane 2 doing 69mph. You'd go for the overtake, just about to pull across and they speed up to 71. Cue an incline and the process restarts.

It'd always appear to be your stereotypical travelling salesman in their 5 series or E class.

To be fair, I've seen lorry drivers work in tandem to get idiot middle lane hoggers to pull over. Woe betide anyone who does less than 56mph on the motorway, especially in lane 2 and above.  

The worst one for me is on the variant of Smart Motorway where the Hard Shoulder is sometimes a Hard Shoulder but sometimes a live lane. (So what is normally lane 1 becomes lane 2).
I was on a stretch of this on a weekend evening the other day and no-one apart from me and the lorry encroaching behind me was actually using that first lane (and the people in what was now lane 2 were going slower than the speed limit).
Had it been a weekday evening, I think it would have been different, but weekend drivers seem to be less good on motorways.