Replace horn on Fabia Mk 3

Hi all, 

I'm attempting to replace the horn on my partners Fabia Mk 3.  I understand that the horn sit behind the blanking grill on the front bumper.  

Not wanting to damage the bumper, does anyone have any clue about how to remove the blanking grill without damaging it?

Thanks in advance 

• 1 month later...

I have a similar thread, posted recently.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/463343-lower-grille-removal/?tab=comments#comment-5201329

This might be the answer. Seems we have to prise it out carefully, best on a warm day.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/387049-fabia-iii-front-grill-removal/

Edited by NigelC95

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply.

I had seen this vid, but it is of a vehicle with foglamps. These are easier, as the small grille piece appears to pull out more easily, then the foglamp unbolts and access is gained.  (The poor toolkit made me cringe)

I have achieved mine, will check in a minute whether I described it in my own thread.

The outer bumper insert does just 'pull out' of the bumper, although it will fight. Much easier if you can also push from behind, which means removing the wheelarch liner, which I did.  I have one wheelarch liner holding screw left over, can't find its location, so will have to have another look sometime when the weather is warmer and drier.

39 minutes ago, Confused_Cheese said:

A few days after I picked up my mk iii, was driving somewhere with my better half and had to use the horn... we both looked at each other and burst out laughing. You certainly can't use the stock horn in anger :rofl:

It's quite pathetic i will say xD the first time i used mine, it worked for half a second then fell off its mounting, sounded more like a very aggressive donkey that time! After that it was really quiet as it wasn't aligned with the cone properly and i had to get it fixed :D

On 11/04/2019 at 12:40, Confused_Cheese said:

A few days after I picked up my mk iii, was driving somewhere with my better half and had to use the horn... we both looked at each other and burst out laughing. You certainly can't use the stock horn in anger :rofl:

I experienced exactly the same. :D 

Spent a good minute chuckling. Interestingly, this tinny horn means I’ve actually used it less than with previous cars! Ergo, I’m more ‘zen’ on commutes. :rofl:

Going home after collecting my car, I had a car drift across in front of me so I gave the horn a tap ..... it went Poop!

I am now looking at some Fiamm AM 80S

• 1 year later...

MK 3 horn is behind the nearside fog light on a RHD model, to get at it you need to remove the small grill  section near the fog light  with the funny hook tool that's in the boot,  gently pull it out to reveal the screws of the fog light unit , take these out and pull the unit out I found it was easier pulling from the left side to the outer of the wing unit popped out then you need to  un - plug the bulb fitting then you can see and get at the horn through the gap, I taped a bit of rag around the gap to stop any scrapes or scratches on the paint on bumper, I swapped the feeble sounding  horn for a pair of  Lucas horns, had to make up a wiring harness for the connections and bought a VW 2 pin male adaptor plug off eBay to connect into the original wiring plug , I also had to make a dropping  bracket for the twin horn set as the old horn was just a flat plate bolted on the top of the horn and then bolted flat onto the inner wing part so horn is facing forward, looking at some horns they are like this sort so might be easier to retro fit a twin pair like this rather than mess about making a bracket but the sound is far better with a decent set of horns