Talk me out of buying a Yeti.

Crassus

17 minutes ago, Crassus said:

Because the Yeti is marginally smaller than our X3 I'm not worried about it being hit at supermarket car parks as I never use bays near entrances as that's where careless or idiotic people tend to park. :nerd: 

The Yeti is actually 3" shorter than, and 1" narrower than, a Mini Countryman, so not exactly a large car.

Sadly, this hasn't prevented mine from getting dinged at a supermarket car park while parked in a bay farthest from the entrance. :sadsmile:

17 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

If the car is a Euro 6 diesel eventually people will come to their senses and realise that these are better than petrol as nox is near enough the same and co2 emmissions much less. They also go much further on a tank saving on fuel-which of course is why co2is reduced.. Personally I would avoid Euro 5 though unless it has not had the fix done. If not for that I would recommend the Greenline. Same power as 1.2 petrol, but more torque, and mine averaged 57mpg on the electronic display during 45k I drove it.

Some European cities are considering banning or imposing additional charges on Euro 6 diesels. Who knows what new punishment diesels will face in 3-5 years time. If you already own one than fine, but I wouldn't risk buying one now as the accelerated depreciation will negate any fuel savings over a petrol. The only exception is if I bought a diesel with the view to own for the next 7-10 years. 

Those up and down mpg results,  why so variable?

I have a 2011 1.2 TSI DSG, and get between 38 - 42 MPG full to full. Most trips are about 7 miles, typically with no or one passenger.

I do 40 mpg on long motorway cruises at 70mph, which is surprising for a four wheeled brick. I think due to good surfaces, and a continuous drafting effect. 

Rain, cold, heavy load, wellie and a lot of stop-start bring it down markedly, though I never see less than 35 mpg after a  few miles of warm up.

It loves a gentle 45mph on rural roads, where is will get 47 mpg.

Based on No.2 son's experience (one child), the boot will not be large enough and any child car seats with the isofix 'load leg / rebound bar' base

will mean that the front seats have to be slid fully forward, which makes driving almost impossible and needs the passenger airbag disabled.

3 minutes ago, Bexhillian said:

Based on No.2 son's experience (one child), the boot will not be large enough and any child car seats with the isofix 'load leg / rebound bar' base

Thanks. I'll fit our ISO-Fix base in the rear and investigate. 

I couldn't give a toss about MPG figures,I enjoy driving my Yeti so much,can't understand why there is so much discussion about MPG,I could get a bit more MPG if I got a Hyundai i10 but I would probably not enjoy owning one.   

7 minutes ago, sandman said:

I couldn't give a toss about MPG figures,I enjoy driving my Yeti so much,can't understand why there is so much discussion about MPG,I could get a bit more MPG if I got a Hyundai i10 but I would probably not enjoy owning one.   

Exactly.

Interesting fact though: My previous Yeti was a manual 1.4-122; the current one is a DSG 1.4-125. The newer car is much less thirsty even though both have been very good (or so I think) considering their height and brick-like shape.

1 hour ago, Crassus said:

Some European cities are considering banning or imposing additional charges on Euro 6 diesels. Who knows what new punishment diesels will face in 3-5 years time. If you already own one than fine, but I wouldn't risk buying one now as the accelerated depreciation will negate any fuel savings over a petrol. The only exception is if I bought a diesel with the view to own for the next 7-10 years. 

I'm in that situation of owning one, bought new just over 3 years ago and now plan to keep it for at least another year or so. Retiring soon, so was therefore going to buy a petrol Karoq but due to their problems I'm holding fire now. No hardship as the Yeti is low mileage and I still really like it. I shall just give it a good run every week or so. Part of the reason for changing is that I tended to do that every 3 years or so and as well as wanting a petrol I'm feeling there was a bit of changing for changing sake as well. Fine if you're getting something better but it's not always the case. In fact I'm really happy that I'm keeping the Yeti and that it's a diesel even though when I bought it my mileage didn't really justify it then, but I just wanted one last one.

3 hours ago, sandman said:

Strange you mention it, I do happen to have a 2011 i10 automatic as well as the Yeti. It, too, does 32mpg. The automatic i10 isn't known for it's ecomomy but short journeys and a torque converter gearbox doesn't help though.

1 hour ago, westie38 said:

That's one of the most sensible posts on here for some time. The way people moan on about diesel, anyone would think it's the devils blood! We have tried small engined eco Fords in the past and they are absolutely pants when it comes to mpg economy. Not interested in driving into 'Green' towns, it's usually difficult to find a parking space anyway, that's what Park & Ride is for. If it's a keeper, I'd go for diesel anytime.   

I like the power delivery of diesels, especially in larger cars, but no one lives in an economic vacuum.

Why would I in 2019 buy a diesel Yeti when it's likely to cost me an additional £1,500-2,500 in depreciation in the next 3-5 years compared with a petrol variant. 

The main thing keeping diesel sales high is fleet and finance companies because of their lower tax over petrol engines. Once those customers groups stop buying diesels because of changes to laws or tax, used diesels will plummet in value. Again, this would have been irrelevant if I was planning to buy a car to keep for 7-10 years and didn't care about depreciation. 

Since last year, any diesel that emit white or blue smoke will instantly fail MOT and filing particle filters will also be a concern going forward. 

I am not scaremongering, just being pragmatic about decisions about my next car. 

Edited by Crassus

1 hour ago, Crassus said:

I like the power delivery of diesels, especially in larger cars, but no one lives in an economic vacuum.

Why would I in 2019 buy a diesel Yeti when it's likely to cost me an additional £1,500-2,500 in depreciation in the next 3-5 years compared with a petrol variant. 

The main thing keeping diesel sales high is fleet and finance companies because of their lower tax over petrol engines. Once those customers groups stop buying diesels because of changes to laws or tax, used diesels will plummet in value. Again, this would have been irrelevant if I was planning to buy a car to keep for 7-10 years and didn't care about depreciation. 

Since last year, any diesel that emit white or blue smoke will instantly fail MOT and filing particle filters will also be a concern going forward. 

I am not scaremongering, just being pragmatic about decisions about my next car. 

First point.
Because there is no petrol engined Yeti that will do what I need it to do, especially towing a 1100kg caravan successfully and economically.

Second point.
That suggests that you have haven't looked at the real world UK market.

Third point.

Yes you are scaremongering. The actual truth is that it is YOU personally that doesn't want a diesel. Please don't make assumptions for everyone else.

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

Second point.

I actually have spreadsheet comparing trade in values for the Yeti, Countryman and BMW X1 of the same model year and mileage. In all three cases the petrol variants have a 10-15% higher trade in value than diesel ones which even had higher list prices. 

As I said earlier, I have nothing against diesels from a technical point of view. My main car is a diesel and I clock 42mpg on motorways, love the gush or low end torque and applaud the reliability. However I'm assessing drive trains from a financial point of view here. 

Edited by Crassus
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

First point.
Because there is no petrol engined Yeti that will do what I need it to do, especially towing a 1100kg caravan successfully and economically.

Second point.

May I suggest you look here:- www.whattowcar.com

Karoq 1.5 auto gives 4.5 / 5 stars towing your van. Whilst this may not be perfect it is a good start and would be better if the 4x4 was on the system to do a match with.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters

What Tow Car must have had a 1.5 TSI Karoq that was not having issues.

Obviously only a few will be having issues with 1.5TSI DSG or the Manuals, but they are on forums telling their tales, 

and now after Skoda / VW and Dealership staff never heard of any problem or having experienced any they are now predicting that they might have a fix by June for those with problems.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.   Deny until you can deny no more.

Edited by Skoffski

I would be a bit concerned that the DSG is over compensating for the kangaroo issue from the 1.5 tsi engine which may lead to some premature DSG failures as it appears some humans with manual gears have problems dealing with this characteristic/issue/problem.

Edited by Sad555

The point is that people and companies have run away from diesel for no real reason. Hence much fewer are now being sold. Many larger cars dont really suit petrol as they would cost too much to run. See what is happening to jaguar land rover today. Stopping buying diesels means stop buying most of their range ay the moment. I would hate to pay the fuel bill for a petrol range rover!

In the second hand market buyers want value for money and above all reasonabke running costs. In 2020 they will have far less diesels to pick from so the value shoud hold better, compared to the glut of petrol cars perhaps with unsuitably smaal engines in a big suv body?

In any wvent how much longer can petrol remain the fuel of choice. It is far worse for co2, does produce some nox and the real alternatives of say hydrogen fuel cell which only emits water are still not viable. Personally I think electric is a cul de sac with huge hidden environmental issue just in making and disposing of batteries.

• Like 2

As it is the YETI comes in Petrols of different CC's or Diesels and have Euro 5 or Euro 6 with SCR (Adblue) 

Maybe there will be more affordable 'Electric Conversions' of the YETI in the future. 

For now the 'Asking Prices' are what the are, and as for the 'Trade in Prices' available online, that is only important if the place you are buying or leasing a car gives that Trade In Price.

Some will and some will not, it depends if they want in a Yeti or not, or what they know it will get them at Auction or what WBAC are offering.

Edited by Skoffski

22 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

First point.

Second point.

Third point.

Yes you are scaremongering. The actual truth is that it is YOU personally that doesn't want a diesel. Please don't make assumptions for everyone else.

I actually thought that Crassus had, POLITELY, put a reasonable point forward and has been restrained and seemingly rather well versed in his replies.   I keep seeing seeing, in the news, reports of dwindling demand for diesels, JLR for example, just today. So I would have he had a point.

I have had a couple of diesels, both French as it happens, and they were fine at the time but the bulk have been petrols  .... I have no particular axe to grind but can't help but see what others, more informed than I, have to say about diesels.

What DOES puzzle me is why certain contributors (no names, no pack drill) have to reply to posts in such an aggressive and haughty manner though.

Edited by oldstan