Talk me out of buying a Yeti.

Crassus

Our BMW will be replaced in 3 months and because of the arrival of a second child, a big luxury car is no longer a priority. The top potential replacement is a Skoda Fabia Estate simply because our current Fabia does 90-95% of what the BMW can for a lot less and the estate's bigger boot would almost match its practicality. Basically we like the Fabia alot. 

However my other half loves SUVs and a 2015 1.2TSI DSG Yeti cost £10-13k which is similar to a 2017 1.2TSI DSG Fabia Estate.

On paper, the Yeti is a good but I'm keen to hear reasons for why I shouldn't buy one. :)

Edited by Crassus

I considered a Fabia Estate but went for another Yeti as it is much more comfortable to drive and has much better access being higher. The rear seats in a Fabia have a lot less knee and headroom.

The elegance spec Yeti is a much nicer place to be, and the real clincher is the HID lights which are not a Fabia option.

I speak from experience as my wife has a Fabia.

I had a Fabia Estate for 11 years and it was the most economical and enjoyable car I have driven, until the Yeti.
Test drive one and you will find out.

3 hours ago, greenstripe said:

My other half has a 17 plate Yeti 1.2 DSG and it's a lovely car, but the average fuel economy is about 30mpg -measured using an app -not the onboard computer. 

My 2011 DSG petrol Yeti has averaged no more than 32mpg throughout the seven years I've owned it..... sometimes it's less and only occasionally slightly more.

I would say mpg is the main drawback. Can't find any reason not to own one otherwise.

Despite the naysayers my DSG has been fine after they changed the clutch pack under warranty.  Admittedly I wouldn't buy another DSG equipped vehicle though.  Shame, as it drives beautifully.

I bagged a Yeti before it finally went out of production.

I test drove several cars before purchase, but none gave close to the Yeti experience.

Two years on, my Yeti still makes me smile.

And in a sea of same-same SUVs, my Yeti still stands out from the crowd.

Apologies to OP - I realise this is not what you want to hear ;)

Edited by Robjon

Don't get one, especially if you have young kids.  There is far too much practicality for them.  The ability to remove each rear seat indvidually to accommodate loads and/or kids is simply preposterous.  The high stance means a unnecessarily easy infant installation process, unhelpfully saving your back whilst you wrestle them into their seats.  Being able to move the rear seats back or forth (and change the backrest angle) to improve legroom or boot room is plainly useless.  And the high, square boot takes far too much stuff.

No, don't get one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I now wish I'd bought a Yeti instead of my Octavia Scout. 

I'm turning 50 this year, so that may have a major part to play in my thought process. 

Crassus,

you would be hard pressed to find a better all-round vehicle. My VW Touran was bigger and better suited to a growing family, but did not have the same sole or character. The smallish Yeti boot is probably the only downside, but the sheer flexibility of seat removal etc makes up for this.

Many are happy with the 1.2 petrol, but I could not live with the mpg figures it produces. My 110bhp diesel shows 48/52mpg on the maxidot before it rolls over and resets every 100hrs. In real terms this is out by a few mpg, but I have brimmed the tank and regularly got high 50's/low 60's on a run.

When I sell mine in a month or so I will miss it, but I have come to realise that I cannot find a direct and similar character replacement so I'm moving brands. I also think the £10-13k for a 2015 is a bit steep  and you need to shop around. I'll advertise my 2014 at about £8-8.5K.

Colin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldstan said:

My 2011 DSG petrol Yeti has averaged no more than 32mpg throughout the seven years I've owned it..... sometimes it's less and only occasionally slightly more.

I would say mpg is the main drawback. Can't find any reason not to own one otherwise.

Despite the naysayers my DSG has been fine after they changed the clutch pack under warranty.  Admittedly I wouldn't buy another DSG equipped vehicle though.  Shame, as it drives beautifully.

Not sure how you drive but my 2017 1.2 DSG has averaged 44.4 MPG over 17000 miles. Measured on brim full to brim full basis so accurate.

Have to say, at the age 68, I drive in a reasonably "steady" fashion, but many of my journeys are relatively short. But even on a run I would never see 44mpg.

Measured brim to brim every time and recorded in a little black book.

As our mileage is so low it's not really of great concern but when I see the figures others get in more recent cars it's a little disappointing.  If I were to swap the car for something like the Kia Niro I would be hoping for more.

..disappointing ot hear about the mpg on your 1.2 petrol. I manage to squeeze 44mpg (actual tank to tank overall) out of my 1.4 4wd, although this is mainly rural driving.

Sub 40mpg from a 1.2 would certainly be enough to put me off getting one and I don't think I would go the diesel route now as I don't do the miles....hope that helps...

7 minutes ago, Stubod said:

..disappointing ot hear about the mpg on your 1.2 petrol. I manage to squeeze 44mpg (actual tank to tank overall) out of my 1.4 4wd, although this is mainly rural driving.

Sub 40mpg from a 1.2 would certainly be enough to put me off getting one and I don't think I would go the diesel route now as I don't do the miles....hope that helps...

It's the DSG gear box that does the MPG damage - the 1.2 has a decent amount of low end torque -but the way the gearbox is programmed it never takes advantage of what's available and changes down and revs highly at the first opportunity unfortunately. I'd guess that it's probably done that way to give a smoother ride as the gear changes are almost seamless

• Thanks 1

Don't buy one because you won't like how willing the 1.2TSi is,or how much fun it is to drive,or how it will out handle most cars on the twisty bits,or the build quality,or the fact you can easily spot it on the supermarket carpark and SWMBO would probably love driving it so you'll never see the keys anyway 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, greenstripe said:

My other half has a 17 plate Yeti 1.2 DSG and it's a lovely car, but the average fuel economy is about 30mpg -measured using an app -not the onboard computer. 

I get 39.8 mpg over 15 months and 8,000 miles, fill to fill by calculation, including a lot of 5 mile runs in and out to the shops. I've still got all receipts except for two lost ones. Car is a joy to drive, very comfortable, easy access, good visibility, tall boot. Adequate performance, but only just. It gets dirty very quickly. Main drawback for me is reports of early mechanical failures of dsg and or clutch packs, but that's my fault for reading this forum. I'd consider a Vitara 1.4 boosterjet or Kia Sportage should Yeti throw up  major problems. Bet they wouldn't be so sweet to drive though. 

17 hours ago, Skoffski said:

Another car maybe worth considering in your price range is a  VW Golf SV.

I considered it with the drivetrain I want the Golf SV is £3-4k more expensive. 

22 hours ago, oldstan said:

Thanks. SUVs typically have worse fuel consumption than equivalent estates, hatchbacks or saloons. We'll do approximately 6-7k miles per year so the fuel consumption is an ok compromise. 

14 hours ago, sandman said:

Don't buy one because you won't like how willing the 1.2TSi is,or how much fun it is to drive,or how it will out handle most cars on the twisty bits,or the build quality,or the fact you can easily spot it on the supermarket carpark and SWMBO would probably love driving it so you'll never see the keys anyway 

Good to hear that it handles well and is nippy. Our X3 is incredible fun and communicative at speed but the heavy steering is sometimes less ideal in parking lots and while crawling. 

18 hours ago, eribaMotters said:

I also think the £10-13k for a 2015 is a bit steep  and you need to shop around. I'll advertise my 2014 at about £8-8.5K.

I have seen cheap Yetis but 1.2TSI with DSG go for £10-13k if bought from a franchised dealer. We will buy from a franchised dealer to give us peace of mind if we lose in the DSG lottery :biggrin:

If cost is an issue, start reckoning up the running cost, too.

Fuel, tick.

Insurance, tick.

Tax, tick.

service/repair bill, tick.

Accident damage repair bills, tick.

Parking permits, tick.

Then look at the likelyhood of the larger vehicle being hit by others, hit in supermarket car parks, being a pain to sell on in a few more years, when they will be priced off the road, etc.

Now, looking at the bigger picture, will the Yeti be a money pit or will the Fabia estate cost you more?

After all this head thinking, where does your heart lie? 

If its still the Yeti, go get-i but if its the Fabia, fab!

At such a low annual mileage, though, have a think about a Kia. Lovely seven year warranty!

9 minutes ago, mrgf said:

Now, looking at the bigger picture, will the Yeti be a money pit or will the Fabia estate cost you more?

Running costs are not a big concern as the purpose of choosing a £10-12k is to lower monthly car payments by £300/month. 

Ease of selling in the future is the reason why I'm not buying a diesel. Depreciation is the reason why I'm strongly considering the Yeti as I think it will retain its value than a 2016 Fabia Estate. Given that SUVs are bought left right and centre regardless of brand I think the Yeti will be an easier sell than the Fabia estate. 

Because the Yeti is marginally smaller than our X3 I'm not worried about it being hit at supermarket car parks as I never use bays near entrances as that's where careless or idiotic people tend to park. :nerd:

KIA does offer long warranty but a Sportage with automatic gearbox and petrol engine isn't cheap. 

If the car is a Euro 6 diesel eventually people will come to their senses and realise that these are better than petrol as nox is near enough the same and co2 emmissions much less. They also go much further on a tank saving on fuel-which of course is why co2is reduced.. Personally I would avoid Euro 5 though unless it has not had the fix done. If not for that I would recommend the Greenline. Same power as 1.2 petrol, but more torque, and mine averaged 57mpg on the electronic display during 45k I drove it.

Give it a couple of years and the current drop in diesel sales new should translate ino a car that is much more desirable second hand. We have seen thi before a few ear after a recession when car sales dropped. Those cars bought at the height of the recession hold their value much better at 2 to 5 years old.

Co2 emmissions are now rising again due to the rush for petrol, even though the dirsels not being bought are no worse than the petrol alternatves for nox emissons.

I would still only consider a diesel for my main high mikeage car at 15k per year. Petrol only makes sense for low mileage cars which dont suit diesel anyway due to potential damage to the emmision control parts.