Octavia RS 245 vs 280 PS Superb

Sportline 280 will do a 5.6 by the book compared to a 6.4 for the Vrs. Though both will beat that time.

Superb weighs about 150kg more though so stopping and corners should see the vrs better off.

And then you have 4x4 vs fwd to consider for getting out of them again.

I've no idea why I'd want to take either round a track though. Rinsing people at lights is different.

Edited by DBT85

You’re comparing apples and oranges...

...and everyone one knows a 4WD orange with an almost 34bhp power advantage is quicker than an apple in both scenarios :D

Lots of other variables to consider. 

Seriously though, neither car is an agile track monster, both are biased towards everyday usability and practicality. 

@EddGee went from 280 > 245 and was back in a 280 within a matter of months. Likely the best person on here to offer some ‘real world’ insight.  

Please also post post the question in the Octavia section as that’ll really make for some interesting ‘debate’ and liven up a Sunday a’noon. Bonus points for the person who straight away claims the vRS is a ‘hot hatch’ and therefore is as agile as a house fly.  No Škoda is!  

Im just off to get the popcorn....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Waiting for the appearance of the driving god that is race track trained / experienced and has a 300 PS plus manual remapped Octavia 245 vRS.

Not only fantastically quick but economical as well.

FWD and with amazing top speeds in the parallel universe that is the UK public highways or the trips to Continental Europe.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Waiting for the appearance of the driving god that is race track trained / experienced and has a 300 PS plus manual remapped Octavia 245 vRS.

Not only fantastically quick but economical as well.

FWD and with amazing top speeds in the parallel universe that is the UK public highways or the trips to Continental Europe.

I need more clues to whom you refer...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

You’re comparing apples and oranges...

...and everyone one knows a 4WD orange with an almost 34bhp power advantage is quicker than an apple in both scenarios :D

Lots of other variables to consider. 

Seriously though, neither car is an agile track monster, both are biased towards everyday usability and practicality. 

@EddGee went from 280 > 245 and was back in a 280 within a matter of months. Likely the best person on here to offer some ‘real world’ insight.  

Please also post post the question in the Octavia section as that’ll really make for some interesting ‘debate’ and liven up a Sunday a’noon. Bonus points for the person who straight away claims the vRS is a ‘hot hatch’ and therefore is as agile as a house fly.  No Škoda is!  

Im just off to get the popcorn....

I've also ordered pop corn

F**Kin Loads.   It could be a long night

Pop corn's arrived...................

images.jpeg

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Haha 2

I’ve been fortunate enough to own both and they are completely different animals. 

Apples and Oranges as Penguin said. 

The 245 was quick but the 280 is quicker and certainly feels like it has more pace than the 5.6s 0-60 would suggest. 

Down a runway the Superb would blitz the Octavia but around a track I’m not so sure. 

The 245 would let you throw it around much more and felt a lot tighter around corners letting you enter them with much more speed and confidence. 

The 280 is more of a executive express and certainly no track toy. 

But it would take you home in comfort and get you up to licence losing speeds in the blink of an eye. 

Christ knows what a remapped 280 would be like.  

Probably kill most things off the line. 

Edited by EddGee
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

A 1.0TSI Courtesy car / Hire Car / Taxi will leave either of them in the dust.

Correct :thumbup:

Also don’t forget any vehicle driven by a 17yr old apprentice tradesman... :party:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

A 1.0TSI Courtesy car / Hire Car / Taxi will leave either of them in the dust.

14 minutes ago, EddGee said:

Correct :thumbup:

Also don’t forget any vehicle driven by a 17yr old apprentice tradesman... :party:

And in red; red is the fastest colour 

hmmm now a whole new dilemma...corrida red Vs. velvet red.  

EDIT: doh! @Gerrycan beat me to it 

Edited by penguin17

1. Depends. I'd expect their times to be fairly close. What the 245 wins in weight and agility, it loses in max power (esp. in fast tracks,) and traction in tight corners. There is little between the two cars "track" abilities so any difference would mostly be down to the driver. That been said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the 245 being faster in some tracks. The thing is that the 245 needs everything to be in an ideal condition (driver, tires, road) to have a good chance, whereas the 280 could be driven fast by any average driver, any day.

2. This one does not depend. Racing from a standstill, or low speeds in general, the 280 AWD will create a healthy gap between it and the 245 every time.

Come on tell us what's behind these questions :tongueout: Decision making or just curiosity, or a bet with a friend?

Obviously 4WD Superb wins the Traffic Light Grand Prix with DSG and launch control selected. Hard to call on a track depends on the bravery/skill of the driver. Or I can comment on a stage 2 Vrs245 around a track which was quicker than a Caterham which is supposed to be a track weapon but was lacking in the power department. Break out the POPCORN.:thumbup:

5 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Obviously 4WD Superb wins the Traffic Light Grand Prix with DSG and launch control selected. Hard to call on a track depends on the bravery/skill of the driver. Or I can comment on a stage 2 Vrs245 around a track which was quicker than a Caterham which is supposed to be a track weapon but was lacking in the power department. Break out the POPCORN.:thumbup:

Agreed. The random "track battle" between two cars during a public track-day can be pretty mis-leading for safely arriving to conclusions. During my last track visit with my circa 360 bhp GTI Clubsport I "raced" and over-took an Alfa 4C (supposedly more of a track tool than mine) and a 911 Carrera 4S 3.8 (2011) (at least just as capable as my car). Now, even in the footage that I got, both cars clearly look to be driven fast, similar to how I was driving mine, but of the confidence or the skill or desire of their drivers to push them at the limit I can't be sure, and between amateurs/enthusiasts that's all it takes most of the time, rather than the ability of their cars. I was pretty familiar with the track being my 4th visit there and was focusing on clean lines and improving my own PB, not sure about the Alfa or the Porsche.

55 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Or I can comment on a stage 2 Vrs245 around a track which was quicker than a Caterham which is supposed to be a track weapon but was lacking in the power department. 

No you cannot.

You are eating too many of those Kitkat chunkys and all that sugar is making your posts far too bold.

24 minutes ago, xman said:

No you cannot.

You are eating too many of those Kitkat chunkys and all that sugar is making your posts far too bold.

Quote of the year so far :cool:

Back onto the subject matter 

Straight line the 280 will have the 245 beat 

Around the twisties i reckon they will be there or thereabouts the same.

I was thinking of trading

my 190CR L&K in for a 280 but then I learned a new revised / MK4 version is scheduled to be unveiled in Q4 this year 

This has given me the musicians equilvant to GAS...

Hmmmmmzzzz

Edited by Zenbasses