Handsfree

Fran57

This will seem like a stupid question to a lot of you out there but is there a way to make a phone call from the steering wheel? When I picked up the car the dealer said the only way was through the screen. I make and receive very few calls anyway but in the off chance I may need to. My previous car had a phone button on the wheel. My karoq has the Columbus system. Please bear in mind I am a TOTAL technophobe. 

There are a few ways to make or receive a call without using the main screen, obviously it's best not to do it at all whilst driving, but that's a different argument. Probably the safest way is to use voice command using the button on the left side of the steering wheel, and saying 'call whoever". There should be a phone symbol on the right side of the steering wheel to take calls, or block a  call (by holding the button in). A lot of the actual info about using a telephone in the car does not appear in the written handbook, but advises you to look at the electronic version of the Owners Manual. Funnily enough, I'm just going through the same thing, trying to fathom out how to get the system to read out text messages in car. I certainly don't have any text symbols as shown in the electronic handbook, but I'll persevere (for a while).  

our car (Columbus version) shows an envelope symbol on the top line of the screen, and from memory you can get it to read it out to you, however there seems no function to speak to it to send a text, which I can use on my car that doesn't have bluetooth by using samsung car mode.  I expect Android Auto or things can.

No phone symbol, I have a "view" button instead, it's a 2019 model. Yes handbook is not very clear about the whole thing. I'm a bit restricted with the online version as I don't have a computer so only my phone to try and decipher the blooming thing. I know you can use the voice commands but not really my style, I would feel like a bit of an idiot taking to the car. Sorry, I'm old fashioned. 

Use the menu/view button to the right of the RHS scroll wheel, then find the phone menu.

From there you'll be able to scroll through contacts (recently contacted I think, but it shows alsorts for me). Press the scroll wheel to call. 

6 hours ago, Fran57 said:

When I picked up the car the dealer said the only way was through the screen. 

When buying ours there were a few points where I seemed to have more knowledge than the dealer - both about infotainment stuff, bits around the car and production hold-ups like the phonebox. 

Paying as much as we do for dealer service, I'd expect them to know everything there is to know about their products. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LBFS said:

When buying ours there were a few points where I seemed to have more knowledge than the dealer - both about infotainment stuff, bits around the car and production hold-ups like the phonebox. 

Paying as much as we do for dealer service, I'd expect them to know everything there is to know about their products. 

Pot luck,

Some sales staff, the older ones that have been there a long time, know plenty, (sometimes reluctant to divulge if its a sensitive issue). Many, unfortunately, either dont know much or are too lazy to learn or explain.

I'm sorted! Thank you all for the info. Yes you'd think the sales people would do their research and have at least a little bit of interest in their product. I think I will have to spend a lot more time studying the handbook, there's a lot to absorb especially the infotainment section. 

Press left hand button on steering wheel with the head on that is voice control.  say telephone it says next command then say call (your contact ) it says calling contact.  you can change radio stations and media, satnav 

1 hour ago, Fran57 said:

I know you can use the voice commands but not really my style, I would feel like a bit of an idiot taking to the car. 

But you're okay with having a conversation on the phone when in the car on your own??? 

I've also been trying to get my head around the telephone system.

Is there a way of accepting a incoming call without reaching over to the touch screen I have tried pressing the voice button on the steering wheel but it did not connect.

1 hour ago, clivecoo said:

I've also been trying to get my head around the telephone system.

Is there a way of accepting a incoming call without reaching over to the touch screen I have tried pressing the voice button on the steering wheel but it did not connect.

I’m either in an Octavia or a Kodiaq, but i suspect the Karoq is similar. If I get an incoming call then I only have to press the RH button on the wheel to accept the call. One click of the scroll wheel switches to the Cancel/Reject option.

This is all mimicked on the central screen in Red and Green - often used by my co-pilot.

I’m one who only connects the phone via Bluetooth (BT) with no interest in the APP connectivity via USB socket.

As mentioned above, by keeping the list of RECENT phone calls to a minimum (favourites), on the rare occasion that I want to make a call to one of said recent favourites, I simply push the old fashioned 2017 “phone” button on the RH side of the wheel then scroll to the number I want then push GO.

This all works perfectly well for me.

I gave up long, long ago trying to get any sense out of Voice Activation for anything. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got my new Karoq yesterday and I am facing the same situation - how to accept the incoming call by pressing only one button on the wheel. My previous Octavia had call button on the wheel, Karoq doesn't. Using voice control (which is not even activated in our market) to accept the call looks totally non-sense to me.

6 minutes ago, Codename47 said:

Got my new Karoq yesterday and I am facing the same situation - how to accept the incoming call by pressing only one button on the wheel. My previous Octavia had call button on the wheel, Karoq doesn't. Using voice control (which is not even activated in our market) to accept the call looks totally non-sense to me.

button on right hand side of steering wheel

860902140_ScreenShot2019-02-12at09_14_38.thumb.png.30b2e0b604e4d8eae8b58cf3cf9522b8.png

On MY2019 you should start by pressing View on the steering wheel (same button as previously labelled Telephone per womanofkent's picture), to invoke the Telephone sub-menu - so I understand.

Edited by agedbriar

5 hours ago, Codename47 said:

Thanks, everything is clear now. However, previous wheel were more convenient for calling :) 

if you are accepting a call all you need to do is press the telephone button, 

the trouble with a lot of the kit is if you are not the main driver or don't use these functions regularly it is easy to forget what to do

On 13/01/2019 at 14:18, westie38 said:

Funnily enough, I'm just going through the same thing, trying to fathom out how to get the system to read out text messages in car. I certainly don't have any text symbols as shown in the electronic handbook, but I'll persevere (for a while).  

Are you using iPhone or Android ?

I think the reading and displaying of text messages is only available on Android, I never got the option on iPhone on my Amundsen system.

I notice the manual does state " Depending on your type of connected telephone ", but my Octy and the wifes old yeti were both the same, when accessing the phone through the infotainment on Android there are five icons at the bottom of the screen (as in the pic below), but on iPhone there are only four, the middle text message envelope one is missing. i assume this is an 'Apple' thing like them not letting you use 3rd party maps on Apple car play etc.

phone menu.png

Edited by Panther_uk