What is this? Speed camera?

rdp50734

On 24/01/2019 at 13:34, Jim H said:

An interesting find and thread, but what has it got to do with a Fabia?

I drive a fabia and couldn't find anywhere else to put it. 

Plus most people on here are friendly with knowledge of lots of different things.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TMB said:

I think Lee01 will be right about it being an overhead fibre joint as he is a copper jointer by profession as  far as I know.

Correct.

And yeah its a fibre joint, as i occassionally dig them up at work... carefully, to make sure theres no damage.. the outage fines from telecomms dept are insane if we break them!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And not being metallic ,they won't show up on a CAT scan . And on that topic- I have been on a network rail cat scan course. The theory was ok, then come thepractical. We went outside armed with a device. Which was having problems. Then I spotted that above our heads was a microwave tower ,with aerials spouting radiation in all directions, just what the scanners were picking up. OOPS -End of practical.

• Haha 1

Did you know that Smart Motorways in England during 2017 caught 72,348 speeding motorists (ten times higher than 2012). However two thirds of these drivers were caught driving at 69mph or lower (so below the motorway national speed limit). As a result Highways England have agreed to use the overhead speed reductions 200 hours per week going forward having been criticised by the AA.:nerd:

Makes sense as I've reported not potholes ,but sections of tarmac, down to two layers on the A5 and it took HE months to repair. Near to the infamous camera at A5/A444  Redgate  JUNCTION heading south, there was no need for the speed camera in latter days ,before it was removed- the road surface made driving above 30 into a Kamikazi effort.

Back in the old days,( way up in the Highlands) when road repairs were done by counties , we used to have a definition of the county road workers " those who go along the road/go over the road, yet NEVER touch the road" . This was coined up by an old worthy ,but boy, is it ever more true in these days of financial procrastination. ( Never do in this financial ,till the end of the year ,unless there is excess money left in pot , which will result in a lowering of budget for next financial year)

13 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Which is odd, because there are only 168 hours in a week.

Should have read 200 hours less across the 250 miles of smart English motorways compared to previous use but they didn't state how many total hours the cameras had been operating at. Glad you could see some humour in a serious piece.:rofl: