Some squeaking in brakes

SizzlingPotato

My Karoq only gets used for few short trips per week so it has only done 250 miles since Nov 2018. However I recently noticed the brakes give the common high pitch squeak during slow parking speed - not something I attribute to a new car.

Anyone knows if that's a warranty item for the Skoda garage to sort out? Or is there something trivial I should try to do?

Could be just a build up of corrosion on the disks. With such a low mileage and on short journeys you may need to apply the brakes hard every so often to clean the disks.

• Like 1

The contact surface of your brake disc is unprotected steel. If left long enough even the moisture in the air can be enough to attract a thin layer of surface rust.

You need to take the car out on a quiet road and perform some heavy braking, 50mph to 20mph two or three times will scrub off any light rust.

If you don't keep on top of it then it is likely you'll find yourself having to replace the discs (and therefore the pads) much sooner than you might like... 

Image result for rusty brake discs

Remember there are two braking surfaces on each disc, it is usually the far side (out of view) that succumbs first.

I had the same problem, low mileage, short runs and when reversing slowly and applying the brakes experienced a low level squeal. II used a dry PTFE spray between the caliper and pads, ensuring no spray got onto the pad face and discs. Worked a treat, no squealing at all.

33 minutes ago, Livrishind said:

I had the same problem, low mileage, short runs and when reversing slowly and applying the brakes experienced a low level squeal. II used a dry PTFE spray between the caliper and pads, ensuring no spray got onto the pad face and discs. Worked a treat, no squealing at all.

So you had to take off the wheel and pads to apply the lube I take it? How much work is that?

Maybe in the UK 'Copper Slip'  (Copper Grease) will do on the back of the pads.

After all a Central European Manufacturer turns out cars that and not much good dealing with winter conditions.

As it is it is 'Simply Clever' to remove New Wheels as are fitted at the Factory before a winter and a little lube between the matting surfaces.

Leave them on for years like 'Full Main Dealer Servicing' often has them never removed and you end up needing lump hammers (rubber obviously)

to get a wheel changed.

I agree with Skoffski. As soon as the weather turns a little milder I will be applying copper slip grease to all pads. The PTFE spray is a quick fix that will see me through to Spring. And when, putting the wheels back on I always dip the bolts into copper slip before tightning back up.

Lucky you.

Do you check the torque when you put on wheels, or after you collect a car from a garage or tyre fitter?

You will find those that say Grease them and others that say not.  You have decided what you feel is right. 

I served my time as an Apprentice Mechanic and went to college to be taught Mechanical Engineering back when.

Edited by Skoffski

Always use my trusty magnusson 1/2" torque wrench. All my skodas have been 120NM. For wheel bolts. And I also check when I have have tyres fitted. Usually have to adjust settings.

My wifes Karoq was in at the dealers for another issue just before Christmas  and I mentioned about the squeel of the rear brakes,its very loud and was told that the rear brake pads were the problem.The car had at that point covered 4300 miles.

They intended on replacing the pads but unfortunately as the Karoq is relatively new they did not have any rear pads in stock so left it that I would contact them once I returned from holiday last week was awayfor 2 weeks over the New Year.

Will phone tomorrow to get the car booked in and the pads replaced.

By replacing the pads, all they're doing is replacing like-for-like.

Brake squeal is the resonance / vibration as the pad is pressed against the rotating disc.

They'd be better off removing the existing pads, applying some copper slip and refitting.

With the electric parking brake on the Karoq I'm going to miss the facility (manual hand brake) to 'clean-up' the discs on a nice long downhill section now and again...…..anyone that drives in a steady fashion, as I do*, will know that the rear discs can foul up and degrade all too readily. I guess I'm going to be paying out for new discs and pads a little more often.

*My Golf went 80k (8 years) on the front discs and pads though the rears (due to little use) had to be done around 65k (6 years).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Berisford said:

With the electric parking brake on the Karoq I'm going to miss the facility (manual hand brake) to 'clean-up' the discs on a nice long downhill section now and again...…..anyone that drives in a steady fashion, as I do*, will know that the rear discs can foul up and degrade all too readily. I guess I'm going to be paying out for new discs and pads a little more often.

*My Golf went 80k (8 years) on the front discs and pads though the rears (due to little use) had to be done around 65k (6 years).

Hmm, has anyone tried hitting the parking brake while moving (even slowly) and will it operate while moving?

Supposedly it is an Emergency Brake and a passenger can apply the E-Brake to bring a vehicle to a stop if you pass out or die..   

Just imagine, imagine that a passenger knows what it is if they do not drive.

I have by accident while looking for a £1 to put in a airport machine pulled up the E-Brake and i will not do that again.

You can apply the E-brake a little in some cars.

Best try it on someone else's though....

Edited by Skoffski
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Berisford said:

With the electric parking brake on the Karoq I'm going to miss the facility (manual hand brake) to 'clean-up' the discs on a nice long downhill section now and again.

I'll miss this too, for the same reason.

Instead I'll have to rely on the occasional heavy braking in the hope the rear brake bias is enough to give them a good scrub.

• Like 1

I recently replaced the brake pads on my Skoda Superb with some Brembo parts from Euro Car Parts.

There was no obvious anti-squeal coating on the back.

I'd imagine with all greasing / lubrication requirements, it will be expected that it is applied at the time of fitting. The only instance I know of it being done at manufacture is if the parts are sealed or if there is a risk of corrosion during transportation / storage etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

I recently replaced the brake pads on my Skoda Superb with some Brembo parts from Euro Car Parts.

There was no obvious anti-squeal coating on the back.

I'd imagine with all greasing / lubrication requirements, it will be expected that it is applied at the time of fitting. The only instance I know of it being done at manufacture is if the parts are sealed or if there is a risk of corrosion during transportation / storage etc.

Thanks good to know. That way Skoda can't say they are all by default pre lubed if I need them to copper slip it for me.

23 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Instead I'll have to rely on the occasional heavy braking in the hope the rear brake bias is enough to give them a good scrub.

On my FL Superb 2, the rears were getting dirty and pitted due to lack of "scrubbing".

The head tech at my local dealer said to just give a good, hard braking from time to time as the car has "anti-dive". When you brake hard at speed, it apples the brakes hard on the rear first in order to stop a nose dive and makes the action smooth. No need for the manual handbrake (even though I have one).

Perhaps the Karoq / Kodiaq combo has the same trick?  I would have thought that a tall SUV would use the same technique as the Superb 2..?

• Like 1