cracked headlights

Jimhem81

Just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen to their headlight lenses.  My partner had been cleaning the car and found the lense cracked, but no stonechip or other damage evident. On a close inspection of the other lense there appears to be a fracture ,but it is inside the lenses. A quick phone call to caffyns skoda ashford and the car was seen to within an hour. After a 5 min conversation with the service tech ,a replacement pair of lenses were ordered under warranty and to be fitted in 2 days time. excellent service, just a pain in the butt due to inconvenience!!! 

IMG-20190123-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20190123-WA0008.jpg

The shut line between bonnet and wing appears to be smaller at front than further back along top of wing. Bottom edge of wing near light where it meets bumper also seems slightly out. Has the wing been pushed into edge of light causing stress fractures along its edge in the glass?

Colin

13 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Very strange, is it the same on both sides i.e. both headlights have developed the same fault?

I will get a pic later, but there is a fracture in other lenses. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eribaMotters said:

The shut line between bonnet and wing appears to be smaller at front than further back along top of wing. Bottom edge of wing near light where it meets bumper also seems slightly out. Has the wing been pushed into edge of light causing stress fractures along its edge in the glass?

Colin

Nope, measured every panel gap on both sides and measurements all consistent.  Skoda tech has already admitted it's a manufacturing fault. strange though eh 

I wonder if there is water getting inbetween the clear lens where it is glued to the main body of the headlight.

Now the temperatures are dropping perhaps the trapped water is freezing, expanding and then cracking the plastic?

9 hours ago, womanofkent said:

Ours is going into Caffins for its first service in a few days time I'll get husband to check beforehand, glad to hear they were good.

they were brilliant, my other half went in, they didn't try to blame us or blag their way out of the situation.good as gold 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I wonder if there is water getting inbetween the clear lens where it is glued to the main body of the headlight.

Now the temperatures are dropping perhaps the trapped water is freezing, expanding and then cracking the plastic?

that's what we thought, or cold headlight washer fluid coming into contact with a warm/hot lenses when it was -3deg. I know these things are tested in development, but I  guess a bad batch could make it to production

• 4 months later...
On 24/01/2019 at 11:46, Jimhem81 said:

Nope, measured every panel gap on both sides and measurements all consistent.  Skoda tech has already admitted it's a manufacturing fault. strange though eh 

Hi Jim, Im interested in the comment "Skoda tech admitting the manufacturing fault".  Is that on the internet anywhere, or could you say where this info came from.  Reason for asking is I have the same headlight issues as others on here.  On the passenger side, the headlight has a crack in it, without an obvious stone chip or anything that may have caused the crack.  On the drivers side, its the fog light that has the crack in it, again, no evidence of a stone chip.  Im bringing the car to Skoda tomorrow for them to have a look at it and would like to be able to use your quote of being a manufacturing fault, in case they get shirty.

1 hour ago, Tech1e said:

Pretty sure a Skoda tech has no place admitting something is a manufacturing fault anyway, would get a kick in the ass for saying it anyways..lol

See my post here, they admitted to me there had been a manufacturing defect on my manifold

40 minutes ago, don_kiddik said:

See my post here, they admitted to me there had been a manufacturing defect on my manifold

Dangerous game to play that. Very difficult to take something back once said out loud to a customer. 

Next thing you got is s tonne of emails coming into Skoda CS from a rake of customers saying a tech has said that this is a defect and I want this changed etc. 

Extreme cases maybe but have got to be careful in the days of the Internet forum. 

19 hours ago, EddieMc said:

Hi Jim, Im interested in the comment "Skoda tech admitting the manufacturing fault".  Is that on the internet anywhere, or could you say where this info came from.  Reason for asking is I have the same headlight issues as others on here.  On the passenger side, the headlight has a crack in it, without an obvious stone chip or anything that may have caused the crack.  On the drivers side, its the fog light that has the crack in it, again, no evidence of a stone chip.  Im bringing the car to Skoda tomorrow for them to have a look at it and would like to be able to use your quote of being a manufacturing fault, in case they get shirty.

Good news.  Dropped the car down to the dealers this morning to have the brake software recall addressed and brought up about the headlights/fog light cracks.  The person booking the car in hadnt heard of any such issues with the headlights before so I thought I was going to be in for a bit of a fight with the dealers to get them to replace them under warranty.  No need to have worried, just received an email, they are replacing both headlight units under warrants, yippee.  All you Karoq owners out there, keep an eye out for mysterious cracks in your headlights or fog lights, it would appear that Skoda are aware of the issue otherwise I dont think they would have replaced mine so easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have had a similar problem, noticed the driver side headlamp fogging before I saw the cracks, thought the seal had gone. Again no sign of an impact or any external damage.

My dealership has said that Skoda recognises there have been some manufacuring fault issues with the headlight glass/plastic and lens cracking but they have not had them in the bottom part of the headlight, only at the side edge, therefore mine is not deemed to be a manufacturing defect and I have to pay £780 for replacement, even though under warranty.

Has anyone else had the bottom part of the headlight crack and managed to get it replaced under manufacurer warrenty? I am still arguing the case.

8 hours ago, compo65 said:

Hi, I have had a similar problem, noticed the driver side headlamp fogging before I saw the cracks, thought the seal had gone. Again no sign of an impact or any external damage.

My dealership has said that Skoda recognises there have been some manufacuring fault issues with the headlight glass/plastic and lens cracking but they have not had them in the bottom part of the headlight, only at the side edge, therefore mine is not deemed to be a manufacturing defect and I have to pay £780 for replacement, even though under warranty.

Has anyone else had the bottom part of the headlight crack and managed to get it replaced under manufacurer warrenty? I am still arguing the case.

Good luck Compo.  If you do have to foot the bill yourself, there are some on ebay which could save you some money.

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:06, compo65 said:

That's a high and mighty attitude from them! The light has cracked, there is no external impact damage and the car is under warranty. I think the onus is on them to prove it's not a manufacturing defect, not you to prove that it is! Just because they have only had instances on the sides so far has nothing to do with it. Keep at 'em!

• Like 1

On 05/07/2019 at 14:06, compo65 said:

On 24/01/2019 at 11:52, Jimhem81 said:

Small fracture is at the very bottom of the lenses on the right corner. 

IMG-20190123-WA0006.jpg

Have a look at jimhem81's comment and photo.  Crack at bottom of light rectified by dealer without question under warranty..

@compo65  If possible, try another dealership.

The two dealerships I use are over 20 miles apart, and over the years I have found where one claims there is not an issue, the other is more than happy to repair, replace or put a warranty claim in.  For example, Dealer 1 stated the rust on the rear tailgate was not a warranty issue, yet Dealer 2 stated it was a well known issue and arranged a respray. 

Another occasion Dealer 2 stated on several occasions there were no issues with my EGR Cooler, yet Dealer 1 picked it up straight away. 

If it is not practical to go to another dealership, take photographs and video of the damage and contact Skoda UK Customer Services and explain to them the situation you are going through.

• 11 months later...

5 hours ago, SkodaKaroq said:

My Karoq has two 10-20cm horizontal cracks in the middle of front left headlights (pic). There was no sign of any external impact. Now the dealer is wondering will it be under quarantee.. has anyone else had similar cracks?

The OP's pics look like the lens has been hit at first but then you can see down the edge of the lens where the cracks originates from. It is defo very unusual. 

But no such thing on thos pics, the cracks are not orginating from the side of the lens. Certainly unusual to have two of them but that looks like 3rd party damage to these eyes.

On a different forum, LR based, one of the regulars had a similar problem with cracked headlights on a RR Velar.  After much denying of any problem, the usual “Someone must have reversed into you, sir”, they eventually admitted there was an issue with the way the bumper was fitted.  It put too much stress on the lights and they cracked.  From memory, they were £3k each!!